• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns and cats

redliz

Young Bun
I've wanted for a long time to own cat again,my last girl died at 18 some years ago and I was heartbroken,and it's taken a while but think I'd like to get another.
I particularly want to take on a rescue ,maybe an elderly,unwanted pet.
It had taken ages to get work hours etc that meant I'd be around for part of the day as well as evening to care for it properly, make sure it had company etc.
Of course this was before the arrival of She Who Must Be Obeyed(Phoebe) :roll:
Yesterday she chased a cat out of the garden :shock: and it occured to me I'd seen a lot less cats around recently (I used to have a bit of a problem with neighbourhood cats using my garden as a loo:evil:) ...I bet she's seeing them off !
So my question is ...is she just odd or do cats and bunnies get along in general.?
I've noticed a lot of forumers seem to have a variety of pets with their buns , any tips on the best way of going about it ..or am I onto a non starter here :lol:

It depends on the personality of both. Some rabbits like cats and some cats like rabbits. If you were to take on a rescue is there any way you could do a trial run? Lots of people on teh forum have cats and rabbits living happily together. :)

Lots of people on teh forum have cats and rabbits living happily together. :)

I know, that's what I thought :D
My local cat rescue has a beautiful healthy 14 yo female cat whose owner died, Im very taken with her, and they are desperate to home her as most people want a kitten or young cat .
Might give them a ring and see what they say,apparently she's very laid back bless her, ..unlike a certain black and white madame we could mention:lol:

some bunny body language is very similar to a cats which helps!

buns usually dominate the cats..usually.

my trio of cats i used to have.....all passed long time ago now....were 7 and 8 when we got our first housebun....she ruled the roost jointly with our eldest female cat!! She had a phantom preggies at 4 months cos she was in love and lust with our neuter tomcat...she was best mates and playtime buddy with my cat..the youngest and very skitty...like a bun.

i recently lost one of my second lot of cats...and then my first rescue bun...the loss we feel is nothing compared to the loss felt by the remaining buns and cat:(

they were very close.

an eldercat might only want rest and peace and quiet tho.

my kitties and buns get along. My cats are only 2 yrs old though. They like reggie as he is quiet but ruby chases them so they run off but can't help themselves and will come back to be chased again. They have never gone for my cats but knowing that my Mia cat is a bit of a kitty psycho (she is tiny but chases off all the local cats out of her garden) i probably wouldn't leave those two alone together. My other cat Chloe is very nervous and timid and gets on fine with the bunnies as long as they don't make any sudden moves in her direction! If they do the shoots into the air with fright.

Both kitties love to watch the bunnies from a perch too high for ruby the mad bunny to reach!

When i was younger i had a nethie and the cat absolutely loved him! so did the dog too but the dog is a terrier so he was always watched.

I have six cats (one is a foster) they have never bothered my bunnies:)my neighbour has ten cats and they are alway,s in my garden:)they don,t bother with the buns either:)I have alway,s had cats and bunnies together and never had any trouble with them:)as you are taken with an older cat i think she would fit in really well with your buns as she will be calmer than a youngster:)hopefully:lol:

we had house buns before we had cats.. our cats were 15 weeks when we got them as ,quite rightly, cat protection said that kittens were best as you cant guarantee that an older cat will be ok with buns..ours are now 7yo.
we had a giant bun who loved:love: our male cat ,pickle, and they would play together and curl up on the sofa too:love: she died a couple of years ago:cry: but pickle gets on with 2 of our 3 house buns. the other one doesnt like him too much ,even though he tries to be friends:lol:
our other cat ,sophie, is ok with them ..doesnt interact with them but is more scared of them than they are of her:lol:
i hope you find a cat that will suit your family:)

Back