• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will baytril work if given on the top of the paws?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I put some on patches front paws tonight as i was struggling to get him to take it. He licks it off each time- as if to say.. yuk mummy you put baytril on me!

Is this going to have the same effect as if i put it in his mouth. It sure seems like a more comfortable way of giving him it as he is happy to lick it off each time.

I don't want to distress him by picking him up as he has just been neutered and had his teeth burred down.

I think this is okay, maybe not as effective as dropping it on the lips, but it definately works everytime and is stress free for him.

Anyone else tried anything like this before and any thoughts of if it would be effective?

Thanks xx

Last edited:
It's not ideal.
Have you tried mixing it with pineapple juice and syringing it that way? Or putting it in some apple or a tasty treat? That way you know he's had it all.

It's not ideal.
Have you tried mixing it with pineapple juice and syringing it that way? Or putting it in some apple or a tasty treat? That way you know he's had it all.

no don't have any pinapple juice in tonight, but i can get some this evening on my online shop. Its' the same scenario with him though, he doesn't want anything in his mouth. Not sure if it's because of his teeth. All my other buns will accept it fine.

My main worry is stressing him out picking him up as he has been neutered- what is the risk of me hurting him by picking him up when he has just had his op. Is there an effective way to pick him up to minimize any stress. He doesn't really like being handled. He tolerates it, but isn't exactly calm. I don't want to cause more damage than good especially when he has had his teeth done too and no doubt is abit stressed about that.

I am very aware of the damage stess from handling can cause. My bunnys seem to be much happier when they are not being picked up constanly, so i try to avoid this where possible.

Maybe i could put abit extra on his paws to make sure he is getting the full amount, i'm thinking just for the next couple of days, then of course, after neutering op is healed, then do everything as normal? xx

I know how stressed they get - mine are all on Lapizole at the moment, which is fun :shock:
Try wrapping him a towel, or at least putting the Baytril on something nommy so it's going directly into his mouth.

I know how stressed they get - mine are all on Lapizole at the moment, which is fun :shock:
Try wrapping him a towel, or at least putting the Baytril on something nommy so it's going directly into his mouth.

lol fun for you :) I do the towel thing. I wrap him up and he wriggles free everytime, he uses a great amount of force lol. I've tried so many ways of handling him and he doesn't like any of them. He has nipped me before when he thought he couldn't get out of the towel too.

I've tried baytril on all kinds of things, but nothing that he likes- he just leaves it :)

Am i okay picking him up after neutering, is there a good way to do this where i can't accidentally hurt him by lifting him. Surely he will be very sensitive all around his back end and i can't just pick him up by his front only.

Back