• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Russian Vines....can buns eat them?

Bump!:D Come on green fingers out there....I got a vine where I want to move the buns hutches too...but dont want to poison them! Can I leave it there or do i need to cut it back...Ill never get the root system out - its mahooooooosive!:roll:

Isn't it like Ivy? If it is, they can't have it. Hope someone will come up with a definitive answer!:wave:

All I know is that it is a Parthenocissus (sp?) but I don't know if it is bunny safe i'm afraid. We have one on our back wall but fenced off from the buns and I make sure I always pick up the leaves when it drops in winter just in case.

Isn't it like Ivy? If it is, they can't have it. Hope someone will come up with a definitive answer!:wave:

Common misconception - common ivy although not a great feed is safe enough for buns to nibble every now and then.
Poison Ivy is something quite different - a different species altogether and rare in the UK :wave:

Thank you both - a very quick reply to my Bump!:oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Im not sure if its related to Ivy - but it is very quick growing, dies back in winter...has loads little white flowers on it...very pretty & great to cover the fence...but I can imagine waking up one morning & wondering where the hutches dissapeared to over night!:roll::lol:

Maybe some more answer will come with exactly what it is about & if its posinous / no good for them....

Thanks guys!:wave:

Okay just looked at your link :oops::roll: Doesn't look like the russian vine in my garden! Maybe different variety though. Does it go bright red (leaves) in autumn and then drop?

ummmmm. I dont think it goes bright red with the leaves...just slightly autumunal...ish......I think the leaves just drop...they really green at the moment:?

Thank you both - a very quick reply to my Bump!:oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Im not sure if its related to Ivy - but it is very quick growing, dies back in winter...has loads little white flowers on it...very pretty & great to cover the fence...but I can imagine waking up one morning & wondering where the hutches dissapeared to over night!:roll::lol:

Maybe some more answer will come with exactly what it is about & if its posinous / no good for them....

Thanks guys!:wave:

I 'think' it is related to the grapevine family actually. On second look it does look similar to ours - just because it was in flower I was a bit thrown but the flowers are very similar - just a small pic on the link of yours so was hard to tell at first glance. I'm certain it is a parthenocissus and related to grapevine not ivy family. I'm not certain of safety still though sorry :oops:

Okay now i'm confused it looks more like the pyrocanthus that grows amongst our parthenocissus from next door :?. Does it have big spikes/thorns on the branches?

Okay now i'm confused it looks more like the pyrocanthus that grows amongst our parthenocissus from next door :?. Does it have big spikes/thorns on the branches?

:lol: ok - its not pyrocanthus - we have that.
Sorry - the link was pants to to say the least!:lol:

i just found it in our garden book:

Polygonum (Russian Vine or mile a minute)
I think the variety we have is "P. Baldschuanicum"
At least looking at the pic in the book that looks exaclty like ours is names this variety.
Green leaves & tiny white/cream flowers that cover the plant from July to October.

:?:D

:lol: ok - its not pyrocanthus - we have that.
Sorry - the link was pants to to say the least!:lol:

i just found it in our garden book:

Polygonum (Russian Vine or mile a minute)
I think the variety we have is "P. Baldschuanicum"
At least looking at the pic in the book that looks exaclty like ours is names this variety.
Green leaves & tiny white/cream flowers that cover the plant from July to October.

:?:D

Ahhh... there you go then :D

Easier for you to identify it than us by guessing! I think if you don't know 100% about it's safety then I would either fence it off or remove it so the buns can't get to it. Always best to play it safe. :)

Ahhh... there you go then :D

Easier for you to identify it than us by guessing! I think if you don't know 100% about it's safety then I would either fence it off or remove it so the buns can't get to it. Always best to play it safe. :)

:oops::lol::lol:

Yeah - its just about the safety...is has a massive root system - so dont want to have to dig it out etc if i dont have to & the buns are ok!

oooooh there should be more info on what plants are ok for the bunnies!:roll::lol:

Back