• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What info do you wish you were told/learnt.....

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
..before getting your bunnies, but also whilst owning them?

What sort of stuff do you, have you or would you need pointers or tips on?

I was just mulling today and thinking about stuff I wish I had known and also the tips and hints I've picked up along the way. Wondered about other people's because I'm so nosey! :lol:

The way they work their way into your heart yet are such fragile creatures - not a good mix! Other than that - the 'few pellets more hay' feeding regeime!!

I wish I was told that just because two bunnies get along with each other when they are babies doesnt mean they will always get along :shock:

To be honest I was told this......... but I was also told neutering would solve the problem but we were too late :oops:

It took me 8 months to get my parents's permission to install a bunny in their back garden (previously a pet free zone for 35 years!). In the meantime I learnt an awful lot about rabbits, but didn't really taken on board how difficult it would be to put knowledge into practice in a not very rabbit savvy community! You should see the looks I get when I tentatively say I'm thinking about getting my rabbit neutered.

If I'd had all the necessary info beforehand I wouldn't have ended up with my four beautiful boys :love::love::love::love:

(but I would have had a much bigger bank balance :lol:)

If I'd had all the necessary info beforehand I wouldn't have ended up with my four beautiful boys :love::love::love::love:

(but I would have had a much bigger bank balance :lol:)

same here.. knowing what i know now id have not gone there and stuck to easy pets.. but what a shame for me that would of been.. they are amazing and im glad i didnt know the heartache they would bring :love::love::love:

just after i got holly home and i was crying down the phone to lou with yet another para, she let out a big sigh and asked me if they was really worth it... then possibly not.. now YES YES YES :love::love::love::love::love: im glad i didnt give in to my grief and send Alvin and Holly away :D

Spaying, vaccs, importance of diet, stasis, speed of decline once they're ill, how well they hide their symptoms, and a summary of all the possible diseases. So basically everything :shock::lol:

I'd have liked to have known that buns need vets with further qualifications, & that there was a top referral center in my own town.

I would never have believed that a bunny could change my life, that I'd cry so much over his illness or experience so much joy & laughter from a small bundle of fur with a huge personality.

I still feel at the bottom of a massive learning curve, with increasing numbers of questions in comparison to answers.

Definitely to get one from a rescue! I didn't even know they existed, or that the RSPCA catered for anything but cats and dogs. I totally love my two, but also feel very sad for all the buns still stuck in rescues - I would never have gone to a pet shop had I known (although now I tell myself that I might have saved mine from ending up in rescue anyway....)

I've learnt soooooo much other stuff from here. Main things I didn't know when we go them though (and weren't told by the pet shop of course) were:
- that they would need neutering and may not be able to stay together until that time.
- that they needed to eat mainly hay.
- adequate accommodation size.

Everything else I think you can pick up as you go, but these things really are vital from the start.

When I got Star (was 11) I wish I knew minimum hutch sizes, where to get them from, and how important friends were. I initially tried to get her sister too, but mum said no, and though me and her had a very close bond, she lived for 6 and a half years alone and in a 4ft hutch :cry:

Though she was always vaccinated at the right times, and was spayed at 6 months.

I wish i would have known to get females cos males cost alot cos you have to spay them cos of fighting!!! where as feamles are okay together!!

I wish i would have known to get females cos males cost alot cos you have to spay them cos of fighting!!! where as feamles are okay together!!

You should spay females too really as they're very likely to get uterine cancer if you don't - and the cost of cancer treatment wil be a lot more than the cost of a spay. ;)

A female pair can actually be a lot less stable than a male pair, too...they can seem ok for a while then suddenly turn on each other.

Wish I knew about stasis, would have saved our little Baxter if I had syringe fed him. Wish that day too that the vet I rang didn't say doesn't sound like an emergency and I had to wait few hours for the appointment!!:cry:

Delighted I found this forum though am also still at the bottom of the learning curve as well but least I'm a lot more rabbit savvy than I was, and have changed vet, thanks RU :wave:

Back