• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and fireworks?

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
We are loads of firworks going off in my area cos of a local festival was wondering if they would affect my rabbits, like would they be scared of them? anyone elses rabbits affected by them x

I watched mine carefully last year at Halloween and they were fine when the bangs were far away, but when they started off around my local area it made them jump so I brought them in for the night.

We had quite far away fireworks one night in summer. I rushed out to check Spenser was OK, and found him head down and very busy cleaning his 'bits.' :lol::lol::lol: Seriously though, it is probably something that varies from bunny to bunny. I don't have an indoor cage for Spenser, so must give the matter some thought this side of Halloween ... :?

We had quite far away fireworks one night in summer. I rushed out to check Spenser was OK, and found him head down and very busy cleaning his 'bits.' :lol::lol::lol: Seriously though, it is probably something that varies from bunny to bunny. I don't have an indoor cage for Spenser, so must give the matter some thought this side of Halloween ... :?

You could always put him in the kitchen with his litter tray if he's got one and a cardboard box. Then stay up late enough for the fireworks to stop and then put him out again.

My bunnies never appear to be concerned by fireworks, although I try to shut them in their sheds on bonfire night. The dogs on the other hand .....:shock:

When my buns are playing inside the house I put youtube on and play clips of firework displays, gradually making it louder, they don't mind it at all now

You could always put him in the kitchen with his litter tray if he's got one and a cardboard box. Then stay up late enough for the fireworks to stop and then put him out again.

Good idea. Rumour has it my Dad was looking at indoor cages in P@H the other day (I send my parents in for hay etc because I want all the bunnies if I go in myself). We've come along way from his previous remark that if it was -20 in the winter Spenser could be in the conservatory (where it would be -18 as it's not heated).

None of mine are bothered, even my wildie, but some bunnies are bothered, so it comes down to individual nature I think.

It varies from bunny to bunny, best to keep an eye on them and see how they react :wave:

All of my rabbits throughout my life have been unbothered/sat out watching them on bonfire night :roll::lol: then again I've always had the loony ones :lol:

Good idea. Rumour has it my Dad was looking at indoor cages in P@H the other day (I send my parents in for hay etc because I want all the bunnies if I go in myself). We've come along way from his previous remark that if it was -20 in the winter Spenser could be in the conservatory (where it would be -18 as it's not heated).

Ahh Spenser will gradually work his bunny magic on your dad I think! Keep goin girl and you'll have TWO house bunnies before you know it!!! :lol:

It varies from bunny to bunny & a nasty experience can change a bunny.
My house bun was fine for the 1st. 2 years, completely unphased by them.
Then a faulty road drill actually perforated his ear drum with the noise. It's taken him a long time to settle to loud noises since then.
I'd advise to bring them in & play with them until it's over.

It varies from bunny to bunny & a nasty experience can change a bunny.
My house bun was fine for the 1st. 2 years, completely unphased by them.
Then a faulty road drill actually perforated his ear drum with the noise. It's taken him a long time to settle to loud noises since then.
I'd advise to bring them in & play with them until it's over.

Yep!! I would err on the side of caution! Sure it's great having them in the house for a play anyway!!

I'm still up because next door have had a very loud party. At one point they started to let off fireworks but luckily they stopped after I ran outside in my pyjamas and asked them not to because of the animals. Of course after they co-operated about the fireworks I felt I couldn't complain about the noise:? I don't know how I'm going to get up in the mornng after being up this late:?The rabbits don't like a Sunday morning lie in:roll: And they need their meds at the usual time.

Back