• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding bunnies

ilovebunny

New Kit
I have two female rabbits one 1yr and one 10wks, well, they were sold to me as females. They've had there first proper meeting and my older bun started licking and grooming the little one and after about half an hour or so mounted her the wrong way round and started trying to mate her face. Im not experienced in sexing rabbits but does this sound to you that my 1 yr old is a male? or is this just part of bonding? Thankyou :):D

HI
If you're not sure of the sexes and not speyed then I wouldn't put them together. I would take them to the vets and have them sexed if you're not sure.
I would spey the older bun and when the little one is old enough and bigger spey her too....then you could try.

I'm also not sure if little one is too young to be bonded with another female given she'll be a lot bigger etc someone more experienced will come along soon.

If you are unsure of the sex of your rabbits I would get them properly checked by the vet first before doing anything.

Personally I would not start bonding them until you have at least got the older one neutered, bonding may initially work however as soon as the youngest starts reaching sexual maturity they may start getting hormonal and then friction occurs between your rabbits. At this stage nasty injuries can happen. When the youngest reaches maturity they also need to be neutered if harmony is to be achieved.

Ive just managed to sex the older bun and she's definately a little girl. Why is she trying to mate the other bun? :?

They can do it for dominance (you often see spayed/neutered bunnies mounting each other), or, because they are not spayed it could be she is 'in the mood'.

The safest thing for your rabbits is to get them spayed and then bond them after. If you do it now then potentially when the younger ones hormones arise they could fight, and very nastily. (and they may fight at any time anyway due to territory issues).

Back