• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes

beki

Mama Doe
I got woken up by two foxes barking and howling at each other in the street in front of my house. They were so loud! worrying a bit for my bunnies. The hutch seems very sturdy with nice thick wire and bolts but if a fox came up and looked in at the bunnies surely they would be scared?

Reggie thumps all night if the hutch is covered over so not sure what to do! (he is so mardy i can't even cover the hutch over when it is raining :roll: ) Would a security light deter a fox?

I know the foxes use my garden as a cut though, as i saw footprints in the snow last winter, they come down the side of the house, over the back gate and through my garden (past the hutch) and through a hole in the side hedge into the neighbors. I wondered if i blocked off their cut through into the neighbors garden do you think they might stop coming through?

Can you bring the buns inside? or get a shed you can lock? foxes can climb 6ft fences so nothing really will stop them. xx

foxes

I really would try to either take them indoors or get a shed for them:)if you have a fox hanging around it will know your bunnies are there:shock:it will keep coming back and NO a security light won,t bother them at all:cry:neither will high fences:cry:if you can,t move them then i would cover them up at night and do be careful in the daytime too:shock:foxes come out all the time,so even in daytime they are not safe:cry:
Take care:)

I have foxes in my garden every night.

Maud and Malc thump when a fox is within a five mile radius :shock:

Colin is such a cool dude he just goes..'fox?, what fox??''...
cilla obviously feels safe with Colin because she doesn't 'seem' to bother either.

I have two security lights but it doesn't bother the foxes one tiny bit, and neither does me hanging out of the bedroom window like a lunatic, shining a torch and lobbing a tennis ball at them!!!

I usually end up going downstairs at 2/3am and waving a broom at them before they run off and then I have to stroke M&M to let them know mum has sorted it - the neighbours must think I'm crackers! :lol:

cilla obviously feels safe with Colin because she doesn't 'seem' to bother either.

I have two security lights but it doesn't bother the foxes one tiny bit, and neither does me hanging out of the bedroom window like a lunatic, shining a torch and lobbing a tennis ball at them!!!

I usually end up going downstairs at 2/3am and waving a broom at them before they run off and then I have to stroke M&M to let them know mum has sorted it - the neighbours must think I'm crackers! :lol:

Do you have to do that every night? Sounds awful, they seem to be so bold. Thankfully I haven't seen or heard any foxes round where I live, and the rabbits seem unperturbed ..but it's something I worry about!

no to shed and no to indoors - unless it gets really cold again then BF will feel sorry for them and bring them in. My garden is all wrong for a shed. if i got a shed i wouldn't have space for a run as it is tiered.

Maybe i can try covering the buns with perspex with holes drilled in? then nothing could get to them. The hutch is 2 tiers so i could try and cover the bottom tier with a plyboard front and may be the top with perspex then they could go to the bottom if the foxes come round to see them.

They are shut in their hutch in the day when i am at work. I have never seen a fox in my garden in the day (or night even but there is evidence). The earliest i have seem a fox is about 6pm.

On a slightly different note but still fox related....i wonder if a fox has been pooing in my garden. ewww but something has been pooing on my front garden, down the side of my house on a pile of soil i put there to make a flower bed and also a couple of mornings i have come out to find a runny poo in front of the rabbit hutch! its not my cats as it is the wrong colour (and my kitties are too posh to poop in the open, litter tray only for them) and it stinks!

Any particular reason why you dont want bun inside? :)
mine are both indoor buns because i wont put them at risk of being killed by a random fox, we get them at night ive never seen them but i have heard them they leave poo everywhere so yes you probably have a visiting fox.

Thing is once they know a you have a bun they keep coming back. x

Do you have to do that every night? Sounds awful, they seem to be so bold. Thankfully I haven't seen or heard any foxes round where I live, and the rabbits seem unperturbed ..but it's something I worry about!

:wave: Kareena,

No I dont need to go down to them every night,.. fortunately,
(tho I usually do hear them most nights)

I only go down when M&M carry on with the thumping! :shock:

If they stop after a few minutes I leave them,
but if they dont I go down and do my Rambo act! :lol:

well i would have the bunnies indoors quite happily as it was great last year when they were in but BF doesn't like it as last winter ruby was a bit of a terror and ate a few things she shouldn't and a couple of nights we were up til 3am trying to get reggie out from under the bed! because the spare room doesn't have a door that shuts property, i can't leave them free range in the spare room when i am not at home as i have cats. the cats are scared of the bunnies but want to cuddle them and play with them all the time although i don't think the cats would hurt them i am afraid if something could happen. We did fence off the doorway with a run panel but ruby the bunny can jump really high and get out.

if it gets really cold through i expect they will probably be in for the winter again. BF doesn't mind then in when it was really cold but as they immediately shed their winter coats he was annoyed that they had to stay indoors til may.

Fluffie bunnie - i like your shutters, they are a good idea :)

well i would have the bunnies indoors quite happily as it was great last year when they were in but BF doesn't like it as last winter ruby was a bit of a terror and ate a few things she shouldn't and a couple of nights we were up til 3am trying to get reggie out from under the bed! because the spare room doesn't have a door that shuts property, i can't leave them free range in the spare room when i am not at home as i have cats. the cats are scared of the bunnies but want to cuddle them and play with them all the time although i don't think the cats would hurt them i am afraid if something could happen. We did fence off the doorway with a run panel but ruby the bunny can jump really high and get out.

if it gets really cold through i expect they will probably be in for the winter again. BF doesn't mind then in when it was really cold but as they immediately shed their winter coats he was annoyed that they had to stay indoors til may.

Fluffie bunnie - i like your shutters, they are a good idea :)

I'm opting for the shutter idea.

Better safe than sorry in this case xx

This is exactly what I was like before I got my foxwatch... although it was 3 or 4 times a night I was having to do it!

I've not seem a fox in the garden for months now, the last I can remember was about 14months ago. There were fox tracks in the snow during the winter but they didn't come anywhere near the foxwatch or hutches. (Hope I haven't jinxed it now!)

ETA: This is where I bought mine, it was the best price at the time.

Back