• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allergic to hay :S

samantha m

Warren Scout
Hiya

Digit went through a phase, about 2 months ago of sneezing really badly, so took him to the vet (didnt see my normal one) who thought it could be an infection, so gave treatment, seemed to work for a few weeks, but then over the course of about a week he got bad again, so we took him back, and my normal vet seemed to think it could be an irritation to something, so told me to take certain things out, i tried this with sawdust and still sneezed really badly, and then I did it with hay as I notcied he sneezed abd when either in the garden or he had just eaten hay, this worked.

Obviously I have been wetting the hay down, as I know it is important he still eats it and the vet said wetting it will get rid of any dust, and he also has hay cookies that i wet so he has still got hay to eat, just in smaller amounts.

Does anyone know of anything that could be a substitue type thing, as I know it is important he still gets plenty of hay, my friend said for horses there is a type of hay substitue hers used to have but has said this isnt safe for rabbits to eat for some reason.

I was also wondering, does anyone know what I could put in his cage as a bedding? as at the min he is an indorr bun so I dont need to worry about him getting cold, but he used to love snuggling up in the hay even if he did sneeze bad with it, and now sometimes he looks as if he cant seem to get very comfy.

Thanks for any help :)

What kind of hay are you using? This happened my rabbit too, when I was using normal pet shop hay, but I switched to a better type that was less dusty and he's a lot better.

it could be the type of hay your using, maybe switch to a different hay and see i know "hay experts" are very good mine have that hay as food and fresh grass and normal meadow hay for bedding. mine have woodchippings in there toilet area and hay in the bedding areas, you could try a fluffy rabbit bed or a blanky if they dont chew? unforunatly mine chew so they can only have there fluffy bed when im around :lol:

Last edited:
bisc and matt sneeze alot (respiratory bunnies) and the only hay they have which is ok for them is dustfreehay. they have a few other in very small amounts but DFH has been great. :wave:

Hiya
At the minute the hay I am using is one that I get from The Range, as im not keen on pets at home one lol
Where abouts can I get a dust free one, or will it be sold in pets at home?

dustfreehay.co.uk It seems expensive, but the bunnies love it and very little gets wasted. It's helped Salt, my potential snuffle bun, no end.

Back