• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spot on Ivermectin vs Injection

moss

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

Can I have some opinions please on which of the two you prefer and why? I've noticed a couple of mites on my girlbun, hopefully it has been spotted very early on so shouldn't need much treatment.

So I've been told I can go to the vet and get her an injection, and I've also been told that I can get the Ivermectin that you apply to their skin yourself... obviously cost wise, the latter would be cheaper, but is it as effective?

Hi all,

Can I have some opinions please on which of the two you prefer and why? I've noticed a couple of mites on my girlbun, hopefully it has been spotted very early on so shouldn't need much treatment.

So I've been told I can go to the vet and get her an injection, and I've also been told that I can get the Ivermectin that you apply to their skin yourself... obviously cost wise, the latter would be cheaper, but is it as effective?

I bought the beaphar spot on for my 2, it worked like a dream and was under a fiver for 4 tubes :) xxx

Injectable ivermectin and Xeno 450 are much of a muchness really. I suspect that buns may tolerate the injectable form better because there is no risk of ingesting it by licking it off their fur and it upsetting their tummy. Saying that I have used the spot-on Xeno 450 and both my buns were fine with it. If I had the choice again I think I would go for injectable but that's just my personal opinion and paranoia about anything insecticidal being ingested.

Injectable ivermectin and Xeno 450 are much of a muchness really. I suspect that buns may tolerate the injectable form better because there is no risk of ingesting it by licking it off their fur and it upsetting their tummy. Saying that I have used the spot-on Xeno 450 and both my buns were fine with it. If I had the choice again I think I would go for injectable but that's just my personal opinion and paranoia about anything insecticidal being ingested.

This was my biggest concern too. But then I figured that it must be safe to be ingested as surely all buns groom themselves?

This was my biggest concern too. But then I figured that it must be safe to be ingested as surely all buns groom themselves?

Yes they do, but you are advised to apply it to the back of the head/top of neck to avoid them ingesting too much. The problem comes when you have a partner bun. After I applied it to my two I had to stop them licking themselves and each other for about two hours. Vet suggested about 4 hours for total absorption after which grooming not a problem. I distracted my two constantly with fresh grass and dandelions etc and stopped them grooming it off - not easy as it clearly feels strange and the grooming wet fur instinct is quite strong! Hence why I would go injectable to save all this effort next time! :wave:

Yes they do, but you are advised to apply it to the back of the head/top of neck to avoid them ingesting too much. The problem comes when you have a partner bun. After I applied it to my two I had to stop them licking themselves and each other for about two hours. Vet suggested about 4 hours for total absorption after which grooming not a problem. I distracted my two constantly with fresh grass and dandelions etc and stopped them grooming it off - not easy as it clearly feels strange and the grooming wet fur instinct is quite strong! Hence why I would go injectable to save all this effort next time! :wave:

Oh OK, thank you for the advice! :)

I wouldn't have the problem of a partner bun with her as she's a feisty little girl and seems to like her own company! (Hopefully that'll change, but at the moment she's single).

Do you purely apply it in just the one place, or do you apply it on all the areas where you can see the mite/dandruff?

each time bif had a horrific outbreak..when bonding was going on....she was at the vets each week. we tried the xeno 450 first...then the jabs....then i left her for a week and was waiting for my bottle of ivermectin...and it worked....each and everytime it cleared em up.

bifs partner at the time was too lazy to groom her:lol:
you need to put it where they themselves cant reach. i have found with other buns that the smell puts them off of washing it anyway. but to be safe....

its more pricey but i found i could treat a couple of rabbits a few times!!
http://www.pharmaqwebshop.co.uk/rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-products-E4-F13.asp

Oh OK, thank you for the advice! :)

I wouldn't have the problem of a partner bun with her as she's a feisty little girl and seems to like her own company! (Hopefully that'll change, but at the moment she's single).

Do you purely apply it in just the one place, or do you apply it on all the areas where you can see the mite/dandruff?

No you just apply it to the back of the neck, not where the dandruff actually is. The active ingredient is absorbed through the skin and distributes itself systemically. It's just a route of administration. :)
I tend to part the fur by blowing and apply to about 3 different spots right at the back of the head. It will all go very wet and make bun look bald on the back of the neck until it is absorbed and the liquid dries. You can always comb the fur back the next day.

I've found that spot-on ivermectin is much better for getting rid of lice than injectable.

Don't think it makes much difference for mites, except for the price.

Ivermectin is safe to ingest - it is licensed in various preparations to actually give orally and this is very useful for big groups of unhandleable animals as it can be given in water.
I prefer injectable as I know they definitely get the correct dose and can't wipe it off/get it removed by a companion! But spot-on should be fine if you apply it correctly (in small spots over the back and neck, not in one single place) and separate bunnies until it's dry. Just mae sure it is a bunny safe one.

When gracie had mites (she already had them when i got her home at 10 weeks) i took her to the vets for treatment, she had to return 3 times for injections which was stressful, she hasnt had them since but i did treat her and charlie a few months ago because charlie was scratching.

I think a bun would have to ingest an awful lot for it to make them ill, i applied it to the back of the neck on each bun but waited until charlies had dried before treating gracie. xxx

Belle's have definitely got worse in the last couple of days - when she went into statis on Thursday I mentioned it to the vet, but as she was stressed enough, it was decided not to give her the injection at the time. I'm a bit annoyed really as I'll have to take her back for the injection and pay another consultation fee.

Get some spot on chick, when my dear old bun got them it cost me £120 to treat both buns, over a 3 week period. xxx

Back