• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor pet shop bunny

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
I have a dilemma and Im hoping to pick the brains of you wise RUers!
I get my buns hay from a pet shop thats about 40mins drive away as its the best hay I can find and my little ones love it.
So anyway i end up driving down there about once every couple of weeks to stock up and inevitably end up looking at the animals for sale (why oh why?) :roll: The animals are not kept in ideal siruations but they're clean and well fed and seem healthy. The cages are small but its usually babies tgey have in there. But theres this one lovwly bun who for some reason has been overlooked. The poor thing has been there literally months now, ive watched it grow from a baby into a pretty much fully grown bun. The saddest thing is that the past few times ive been there he/she has been in a tiny cage all on his/her own with nowhere to snuggle and hide away and not enough room to binky around :( He/she just keeps getting overlooked, especially now hes a big bun, people only seem to want the babies :roll::(
This bun has been playing on my mind for ages now (i bet you can c where this is going :lol:) and Im seriously considering bringing him home with me next time Im down there. However I really dont want to be buying from a petshop so I dont know what to do :?
Also i couldnt have him/her as a single bun so he/she would HAVE to bond with Timmy and Mimi so im also aware tgat that could be a risky business :?
The poor thing though, what a miserable life its had so far, id love to change that for him.......

Do it!

I'm no good am I? :mrgreen:

Well it may cost you a bit. Spaying/neutering, vaccinations, temporary accommodation while you wait to bond. Then you have to decide whether it's worth the risk of bonding. Will it upset your buns? Is it worth taking the risk?

But could you live with your self if you didn't take the bun home?
It's also very possible you could have a very happy threesome and happier bunnies...

ok. bring this bun home, don't shock him too soon with other bunnies, but then find somewhere else to buy your hay. otherwise you'll have a houseful...:lol:

Thanks Jenova :wave: You're like the little devil on my shoulder :lol:

I definatly have the funds to neuter and vaccinate the bun and can offer it a wonderful life, they were the first questions I asked myself.

The main thing Im worried about is upsetting Timmy and Mimi. They're very happy buns and id hate to upset them :( And what if the bond didnt work?

The thought of that poor bun binkying around my flat with my other 2 is a beautiful one :love: But is it too risky??

Argh i dont know!!??

If it didn't work at least you tried. How would you feel about re homing him yourself?

I'm not talking you into it, you're talking yourself into it! :mrgreen:

If it didn't work at least you tried. How would you feel about re homing him yourself?

I'm not talking you into it, you're talking yourself into it! :mrgreen:

you're so right! I really want to do this, i just need to think about it some more. And discuss properly with the OH whether hes ready to have another baby :lol:
Obviously Timmy and Mimi are my main concerns here, i have to weigh up whether its worth the risk for them :? Im going to read abit more about bonding trios in the behaviour and bonding section....

Back