• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question - strange digging behaviour?

linley

Warren Scout
This morning Loki started digging a hole in the corner of his run. I went away to work, came back to see the oddest thing; it looks like he's dug some kind of burrow as he can now go in as deep as his big, fluffy bum. But all the dirt that he's kicked up has been smoothed over the rest of his run perfectly, using what looks like a breast-stroke movement, assisted by his chin.

I've only ever had one bunny before; a female mini lop who had free run of the garden and never once dug. Is he normal or just as weird as we always thought he was?

Why does he do it though? The burrow I get, but the smoothing it over?

It is hilarious though. Got loadsa photos.

Oooo I've learned something. I honestly thought that bucks didn't dig burrows but a shallow scrape they lay in. My misconception was reinforced by my own buck. If he can get his head in he elongates it.

He loves digging but hasn't much of a clue. When young he knew he had to get rid of the soil but not how to do it, so he ate it (not carrying).
I had to get down on all 4's witha trowel to demonstrate the action but didn't show him the smoothing out. He got the idea immediately. It was about 3 years later before the pushing action occurred to him! :lol:

My Molly does this in the garden.Digs like mad and then with her front paws pushes the soil flat .Love watching it.
During the snow last year she dug in the snow and again smoothed it away with her front paws.
Tried to get her to clear the snow from the front path but was having none of it.:lol::lol:

Back