• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dead babies

dianemk73

Young Bun
Hi everyone, woke up this morning to find my mini lop had had 4 babies, all dead scattered around the hutch.:cry: She then had another one and presently it is still alive in the nest. To my reckoning she wasnt due till next week! She appears to have no interest, is this normal?( 1st time breeder)!!!

Is the live kit in the nest? Are you keeping it warm?

Have you researched well before breeding? Was this intentional or accidental?

It is normal for her to ignore it. She will only go in to feed it once or twice a day. You will need to check she is feeding it by checking to see if it has a belly that looks like it swallowed a pingpong ball.

How is she acting now? normal in every other way?

So sad for the baby buns. Maybe mother wasnt in the right conditions to give birth. Good luck with the last baby. If i was you i would have her spayed and enjoy your bunny as a pet.:) There are so many rabbits in need in rescues there is no need to produce anymore and risk your bunnys health.

This is a rescue-oriented forum so you will surely get a lot of comments about not breeding being the best option for pet rabbits.
However, the little one is there already so let's try and do something for him.

I assume that you bred your doe for the first time as unfortunetely it is rather common for young does not to know what to do. Some kits fall or crawl out of the nest and there, being unable to keep their body warmth on their own, they die. Unfortunately mama doe can't pick up her babies and bring them back into the nest so I suppose that's what happened this time.

I also assume (correct me if I am wrong) that you didn't do much research before breeding, otherwise you would know that does, being prey animals like they are, only feed their young once or twice a day and spend the rest of their time outside the nest. In the wilderness this would give them the best chance of not being spotted by predators.
If the baby rabbit has been fed, his stomach will appear round and swollen, and his skin will be soft but tonic and elastic. If you pinch delicately a bit of skin and see that it takes quite some time to go back into place then there's a chance the baby is dehydrated and you need to consult a vet asap. Unfortunately it is very difficult to hand rear baby rabbits so your best chance is that the mother feeds it.

Try not to disturb the nest too much as young does are often nervous and might abandon or kill their babies if they feel unsafe. Always make sure you have the doe's smell on you before moving the baby.

Many of us here don't have first hand experience because we chose to spay/neuter our rabbits, but some does arrive pregnant into rescues so probably someone will be able to give better advice than mine.

the other forum is breeder orientated...golden bunnies...maybe you will find the advice you need there too. On here its very much rescue orientated buns....but advice can be given.

i hope shes going to be ok bless her...must have been an awful shock:(

the other forum is breeder orientated...golden bunnies...maybe you will find the advice you need there too. On here its very much rescue orientated buns....but advice can be given.

i hope shes going to be ok bless her...must have been an awful shock:(

Yes you might find some helpful advice on GB, it is rescue and breeder friendly. So sorry about the babies, I hope you researched breeding or was this an accident?

It wasnt accidental. I bought two unrelated chocolate mini lops to breed with (yes it was my 1st time but we all start somewhere!) The good news is the surviving baby is still alive:D and mum appears fine. I did as much research as I could but there are not many books available and it appears that its not unusual for a first time mum to kill her litter:(

Do you know the genetic history of your buns going back at least 2 generations of both parents? Is is essential to know if there are any problems to ensure that any future babies do not carry on any health issues.

Do ensure as the nights are now getting colder that they have adequate bedding to keep the remaining baby warm.

It wasnt accidental. I bought two unrelated chocolate mini lops to breed with (yes it was my 1st time but we all start somewhere!) The good news is the surviving baby is still alive:D and mum appears fine. I did as much research as I could but there are not many books available and it appears that its not unusual for a first time mum to kill her litter:(

I suspect you needed to do more research. Ideally a responsible breeder would need to learn from a responsible mentor. An example being that you would not breed one rabbit, you would always breed two so if one dies then you have another to raise the kits.

This is what I typed to someone recently about responsible rabbit breeding.

I have done irresponsible breeding thinking I knew what was best, and I didn't. I was woefully ignorant and my bunnies suffered (more due to having a rubbish vet than what I did though).

The only way to breed, is to do so responsible.

This means

~Knowing at least four generations on each side of your rabbits family tree (great great grandparents). Its important to know that there are not genetic issues that could be passed onto kits. Responsible breeders do not breed any rabbits with a history of any sort of potentially genetic health problem. this means, to have that pedigree, you will have needed to have bought your original rabbits from a breeder to ensure you know the history. Pet shop bunnies are not ok for breeding because you can't know their history. Also, bunnies from friends often can't be bred for the same reason- you don't know ther history.

~Ensure that you have a vet on call 24/7 who could do an emergency spay or help with delivering kits, if necessary. This gives you a better chance of not losing your doe.

~Ensure that your male is SMALLER than your female. If the male is bigger, then kindling will be incredibly painful and potentially impossible.

~Ensure you know your bunny breeds. You need to make sure your bunnies are pure bred. Cross breeding can often result in genetic deformities that could not have been predicted (for example, often crossing a lionhead with some nethies can result in mega dental problems because their skull shapes can conflict against each other).

~Ensure you have a doe available who can foster your kits if your doe dies. Kits are virtually impossible to hand rear, and losing your doe is a very real risk, so its important to make provisions.

~Ensure your doe is of breeding age. The doe needs to be young enough to breed (this age varies with breed) to ensure she doesn't get into kindling complications.

~Ensure that you have learnt and educated yourself about anything related to breeding, like the crucial times when you may lose them, complications, risks, etc.

~Ensure you can keep any rabbits that do not get sold. It would be irresponsible to pass them on to anyone else to rehome. They are your responsibility, so YOU should rehome them.

~Ensure that if any rabbits get rehomed, but in due course can not be kept, they are returned to you and not go anywhere else.

~Ensure you home check any potential owners, so that you know their accommodation meets the RWA standards and that your bunnies are going to good homes.

~Ensure you know more than any potential buyer, so that you can educate them and so that you don't make mistakes on things such as gender.

~Ensure you can afford to spay/neuter before rehoming, so that you know they have been done (yes, the responsible breeders I know do do this).

~Ensure you can afford to vaccinate them before they get rehomed too.

Having said all of that, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that if the mum has actually eaten parts of her young (as opposed to overgroomed), that she will be a bad mum, and that is something that seems to be genetically inherited. Which would be something that is not going to necessarily be sorted with age an experience, and responsible breeders do NOT breed does who are unable to be a mum because its not fair on the doe or the kits.

I think its very important to find a responsible mentor to help you with this.

Losing your doe is a very real risk, so you may fnd that you don't increase their family, you actually decrease it, and you will know, if that happens, that that was your fault, and your fault only. Effectively, you will have killed your rabbit. I live with that knowledge everyday- even though I took her to the vets, and the vets stuffed up, it was still my choice and my decision that led to her death.

I now do a lot with rescues. My knowledge has increased tenfold (especially with regards to breeding, because I wanted to know what I had done wrong). The rabbits I take on now are those REALLY in need (so those who will be PTS if I don't take them- they normally have special needs, illnesses or behavioural problems). You know what? Its wonderful! To be able to change the lives of bunnies who desperately need it is one of the most rewarding things that people can do (that applies to other animals and people too).

Part of being a responsible and caring owner is to ask 'what is best for my bunny?'. That means taking out of the equation what you want, or what is best for you. It means looking just at what is best for your bunny. Do you genuinely think its best for her to go through this trauma again?

If the answer is 'no' then maybe have a think about what is best. That would probably be getting her spayed and getting your boy neutered and bonding them together so they can live happily together, forever.

If the answer is 'yes', why is it best for her?

I don't think there is anyway for you to responsibly breed your bunny because of what you have already described, which would make you an irresponsible breeder. That's one for your conscience. Do you want to be an irresponsible breeder, or do you want to be a responsible owner?

Obviously bits and bobs of that may not apply because that was written about a specific situation, but the bulk of it does.

What are you doing to keep the nest warm?

Where do they live?

I'm glad to hear they are doing well. Its very early days though. Has the baby been fed?

The hutch has a cover to insulate it and I have also but hessian sacking around the nest as added warmth. This morning the baby looks remarkably bigger! So mum must be feeding it. I do have other rabbits but did not want to have two pregnant at the same time as it was my first attempt, which seems reasonable to me. All my rabbits have come from reputable breeders I must add :love:

I would suggest that the hessian sack would not be ideal and personally would be worried about the baby getting caught in it, mum eating it, it getting moved or draged around, etc. A nest box would be more appropriate.

You could try using a snuggles safe and taping it under the floor of the hutch (i.e. not in the hutch) where the nest is to allow warmth to filter through.

Its great mum is feeding it :) Well done mummy bunny!

Back