• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I lucky or ...

Fran G

Young Bun
am I a bad owner?

I have had rabbits for 8 ish years now (as followed):

Charile - bought for £5 from the trade it and he was 2 when i got him and died at 7.

Natsy - aged 3 months, who was bought for charlie, bonded etc, but found after a month dead next to charlie, with no obvious signs of death.

Crystal - Charlies second lady who lived for 2 years, but she was 3 when I bought her, she was a rescue and spent her life in a dark shed and used for breeding, We think she died due to shock/heart attack, after my dad heard what he though was a fire work being let off outside my house.

Then charlie was a lone till he died of what i think was just old age, he was healthy etc, but we all come to an end.

Then I bought the twins Bonnie & Cookie, after 6 months Bonnie died followed a week later by Cookie, again there was no obvious reason they seemed healthy etc, no external signs.

I then said no more rabbits.

But on my birthday my parents turned up with poppy and 6 months later molly (my current two females who will NEVER go together.

I feel with charlie, crystal, poppy and molly I have never had ANY health problems, well charlie had bad wind once and i paniced rushed to the vets, am I just lucky with my animals?

I know i had some premature deaths but generally nothing else.
Or do I just not notice things? making me a bad owner?

Most of my pets have never been sick either. I have four dogs, never been sick, none of my many guinea pigs and rabbits have been sick . . . my cats have been sick, but they roam so that's expected even with vaccinations and good care, but my current cats I have are all very healthy. I think you (we) are lucky :)

It's down to luck ( or lack of it more to the point ) and not your being a bad owner.

Thankfully, I have only had the one pet die on me after having it for only a year. He had hopped into our garden one sunny day, and decided to stay!:lol:

He was fine, up until we noticed something wasn't right with him, more his body language than anything was the sign something was up.

We had no idea where he came from originally? He was quite thin when he adopted us, and ate hungrily when we first fed him.

Fran G - what a shock of them dying suddenly.

Morgana - i've only ever been to the vets once for illness and that was to put my 3 year old hamster to sleep. (the other time was to get lucky 'done'). Other than that, i've never had the (dis?)pleasure of having to need one - yes i feel luck for that and i dont consider myself a bad pet owner because i am vigilant when it comes to my pets.

Siân_Siâney - what a lovely way for your bunny to find you! :lol: Sounds like a right character. Maybe he went around chosing owners until he found the ones perfect for him?? :lol::lol:

Siân_Siâney - what a lovely way for your bunny to find you! :lol: Sounds like a right character. Maybe he went around chosing owners until he found the ones perfect for him?? :lol::lol:

:lol: That's a lovely thought grin! Thank you!:love:

Oh he was adorable! I miss him very much, still.

aww i suppose you you wouldnt no the rabbits age etc either, it just always baffled me how my rescue ones who were older etc lived longer then any of the younger ones.

I just never seem to get problems with the ones i get etc. I just leave them to it, i mean i check teeth my self but they never stop eating so they must be ok.

One other question, can you clip there claws with human cutters? x

I have been fairly lucky with animals before but in this year I have had 2 rabbits die suddenly on me and a cat get hit by a car :( you never know what health problems they'll have or develop when you first get them

Back