• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on my rabbit - still worried

LJRabbit

Young Bun
I took my rabbit to the vet today after noticing he is slightly wobbly/unsteady on his feet (although he still gets around okay), I asked the vet (who I didn't seem very experienced) if it could be a parasite infection (such as EC), she said no because he's not tilting his head, she prescribed him a five day's worth of Baytril and Metacam. She said she doesn't know what it is and is prescribing him the medication to be safe rather than sorry.
I don't know if this is the right treatment and am worried that if it is more serious (such as EC) then it is not the right thing.

It doesn't help that I'm going off to University on Sunday so I won't be
there to look after him (He's a family pet).

Any advice,

Thanks

I took my rabbit to the vet today after noticing he is slightly wobbly/unsteady on his feet (although he still gets around okay), I asked the vet (who I didn't seem very experienced) if it could be a parasite infection (such as EC), she said no because he's not tilting his head, she prescribed him a five day's worth of Baytril and Metacam. She said she doesn't know what it is and is prescribing him the medication to be safe rather than sorry.
I don't know if this is the right treatment and am worried that if it is more serious (such as EC) then it is not the right thing.

It doesn't help that I'm going off to University on Sunday so I won't be
there to look after him (He's a family pet).

Any advice,

Thanks

If he was my bunny I would put him on Panacur.

ETA sorry that was a bit short! I would put him on a treatment dose of Panacur (depends on his weight as to how much) as this is a treatment for EC that can manifest in many different ways and not always a tilt to the head. One of my bunnies Daisy appeared unresponsive in her eyes and a bit 'away with the fairies' so my vet prescriped Panacur and she was right as rain half way into the dose.

Last edited:
Is that as well as metacam and benadril - also do you think that five days treatment is enough?

Also should I buy Panacur from the vet or online?

Last edited:
It was actually a new vet I went to today, I don't know if I should go back to the old one as they were very expensive - however they did seem more experienced.

No I'm a bit wooly on timescales as everyone has a different opinion but Daisy was on it for 28 days I think.

If you search on here you will get a more informed answe on the dosage. But do speak to your vet first. I can't say about the Baytril & Metacam but its the 'usual bunny cocktail' most vets prescribe when they don't know what is wrong - sorry to be blunt but it may be worth seeing a different vet.

ETA - assume bunny is eating and pooping ok?

The trouble is that when I rang them (our original vets) on the phone this morning they said it's probably nothing - that's why I went to the other vet. I might make an appointment with them tomorrow though.

We also don't have a car so there is no way of getting to a perhaps more rabbit savvy vet.

The trouble is that when I rang them (our original vets) on the phone this morning they said it's probably nothing - that's why I went to the other vet. I might make an appointment with them tomorrow though.

We also don't have a car so there is no way of getting to a perhaps more rabbit savvy vet.

I think that would be wise. When you go if they don't mention EC or Panacur ask them about it. Good luck x

Should I start giving him the other things anyway though or should I wait?

I can only tell you what I would do, the Metacam is a pain relief and the Bayril and antibiotic. So I would at least start the Metacam as instructed in case there is any injury - but that is just my opinion.

ALSO please do check what he had at the vets today - most vets will inject doses of Baytril & Metacam so you need to check when he said to start which in my experience would be tomorrow anyway in which case I would wait until after your vet appt.

I hope I'm making sense!

They didn't give him anything at the vets.

That is very unusual and also another reason I would definately go back to your usual vet tomorrow.

How is he now?

I have to go out now, but I'm sure/hope someone else will give their opinion too. Best wishes JX

He seems ok but is staggering occasionally - it's not a constant thing.

ETA I've booked an appointment now.

Last edited:
Back