• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you have the heating on at night? (and a snugglesafe question)

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
our house is very cold and very draughty... last year from september to march the heating was left on 24/7. it was only on low so didn't really work because the main radiator in the lounge is next to the buns cage so had to be turned right down.. they had a heatpad aswell.

don't know what to do this year, maybe just the heatpad at night and turn the heating off?? i'm already freezing and so is bisc. he sneezes when cold and he's started already.. :(

got the piggies aswell and if i'm cold then they will be aswell. can they have a heatpad aswell?

i'm so paranoid about them being too cold, but then overheating them!! :roll:

my aim will be to keep the bunny room at about 18 degrees. i dont like the heating on all the time so usually what happens Ste gets cold turns it on, i get too hot turn it off :roll:

my aim will be to keep the bunny room at about 18 degrees. i dont like the heating on all the time so usually what happens Ste gets cold turns it on, i get too hot turn it off :roll:

Same here, but the other way round!

i think i panic more because of them having respiratory problems and if i keep switching the temperature alot it might make them worse. they're bad at the min again, even bisc, because the temperature has just dropped.

and our downstairs is just one room so haven't got the option to heat one room and not another etc.. :roll:

i've just ordered two heatpads from vetuk, the buns one needs replacing anyway and got one for the piggies. least i've got them here ready.

might use them until the weather gets even colder, and then have the heating on at night instead. can't afford to have it on 24/7 again really.

i will have to wear 10 jumpers or something! :lol: and find my hot water bottle!

me and the buns will have to live with the cold. i give them more snuggly things and cosy spaces to hide in.

i was so cold yesterday i put the heating on in the evening... well until about 2.30am when i went to bed... couldn't stand the cold anymore! :oops: i am ill though so that might be why! :roll:

matt woke me up at 7.30am by chewing the tunnel and i couldn't resist their little excited faces so got up and let them out of the cage!! :roll::lol:

and i've had the heating on since then! :oops: just leave it on a couple of hours and then turn it off... :lol:

I think the draught is more of a problem than the temperature. Is it possible to draughtproof at least the one room your boys spend most of their time in?

I think the draught is more of a problem than the temperature. Is it possible to draughtproof at least the one room your boys spend most of their time in?

that's what is difficult, downstairs is one room! so the front door and patio doors are in here. and the main radiator is next to bisc and matts cage (no-where else for the cage!) so it has to be turned down so they don't burn themselves.

when the heating is on, all the heat goes upstairs! (spiral staircase! :roll:)

going to get a curtain for across the front door, and another curtain for the patio doors, but it just seems a really draughty house. my dad thinks the draughts come up through the floor. do can't really do anything about that.

bisc and matt used to have a cardboard box in their cage at night which bisc slept in (bisc gets cold, matt doesn't) but bisc can't be trusted not to eat it anymore. :roll:

it's hard because they are both respiratory buns, but cold makes bisc worse and heat makes matt worse, so getting the balance right is hard. :(

I know how you feel Biscandmatt, im in a constant battle to keep my buns at a good temperature. It gets so cold here in winter that i have the heating on most of the time inc on low at night, but then i worry that its TOO warm for them :roll: I guess if they were in the wild the temperature would drop alot at night wouldnt it?
I think the draughtyness could be the prob for their respiratory probs. A heat pad is a great idea coz then they can choose whether to sit on it or not depending on how they feel. I might have to invest in one for my buns too :wave:

I know how you feel Biscandmatt, im in a constant battle to keep my buns at a good temperature. It gets so cold here in winter that i have the heating on most of the time inc on low at night, but then i worry that its TOO warm for them :roll: I guess if they were in the wild the temperature would drop alot at night wouldnt it?
I think the draughtyness could be the prob for their respiratory probs. A heat pad is a great idea coz then they can choose whether to sit on it or not depending on how they feel. I might have to invest in one for my buns too :wave:

yeh, the temperature would drop at night wherever really wouldn't it.. think it's just me being over panicky, especially trying to keep a stable temperature.

i know when the buns are too cold because they go up on their shelf and sleep there, that makes me think the draft must be bad on the floor.. i'm going to extend their shelf soon so they will have more room to sleep up there if they want to, and put their heatpad in aswell.

will also get some curtains for over the doors, (was supposed to get that done last winter! :roll:) and hopefully it will help a little bit.

Curtains would be a good idea. The draughts I had that came up through the floor, were coming under the skirting board. I've got no idea what the stuff's called, but some sealer squirted in the gap between the floor and the skirting board stopped it.

Curtains would be a good idea. The draughts I had that came up through the floor, were coming under the skirting board. I've got no idea what the stuff's called, but some sealer squirted in the gap between the floor and the skirting board stopped it.

my nans donating us some curtains! :D they are velvet though *shudder* goes through me the feel of velvet! :oops:

can't do anything about the carpet until we have more money though...

we only live here for the garden for the pets! we chose the house for them (without knowing about the draught! :roll:)

Back