• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex feet problems

TamBal

New Kit
Hi!

I have two 11-month old rexes who are developing bald toes. I'm keeping a close eye on them to make sure they don't become cracked or inflamed and so far they seem ok, their hocks are fine, very fluffy still. They are extremely active and spend a lot of time running/climbing in the garden which unfortunately has a lot of concrete paths. I'm working my way round the garden laying turf (their run is also on turf) and have lined their hutch and bed box with fleece. Our vet says he's only ever seen this kind of thing on huskies and it is a result of 'slamming on the brakes' on rough ground.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what they did to protect their bunnies' feet. Short of booties I'm at a loss!

Tamsin

One of my buns has a few band toes & I was just wondering too & the slamming on the brake very well could be it with him, he's not a Rex though

Hello :)

Unfortunately sore feet/hocks is very common in Rexes.
The best substrate to keep them on is soft deep hay and grass. Carpet, lino/wood flooring,concrete, even fleece/Vetbed can cause problems.

Keeping the Buns nails trimmed short and insuring Buns remain at a healthy weight should also help.

Breeding plays a large part in the development of sore feet/hocks ie the condition is often congenital. If you can get a Rex to 1 year of age with no furloss on their feet/hocks then they are usually OK in adult life as long as they are housed on an appropriate substrate. If furloss starts before the age of 1 then sadly sore feet/hocks may well be a life-long issue.
Certainly Rexes with furloss on their feet/hocks at just 11 weeks should not be bred from.

Thanks, I'll try giving them soft hay in their hutches and carry on replacing the rest of the concrete with turf. It's a bit of a problem with them being free range! Hopefully they'll slow down a bit as they get older : )

The fur loss started at about 10 months so I guess I'll just have to monitor the situation. Both are neutered so they won't be passing the problem on. I'll count myself lucky their hocks are ok so far.

Back