• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not great news for Bic, Biro and Berol

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
The Lymington Mum and babies went for their 10 day check up today and the news wasn't as good as I would have liked. Mum's breathing is still noisy and babies noses are still damp so Mum needs to continue with septrin for a while longer.

Bic also isn't growing very well, he weighs a whole 100g less than Biro :( Which is a lot when Biro only weighs 470g

On top of that Mum has pain around her jaw indicating root problems and has also had an ultrasound today. Her stomach is very swollen, hard and painful, we even thought at one point she could be pregnant again. The ultra sound hasn't revealed any obvious mass which is good but the vet is concerned. If she wasn't feeding her babies she would have been admitted for either x-rays or an emergency spay but this isn't an option for her at the moment. She is now on a small dose of metacam as well as the antibiotics for her tooth and stomach pain.

On top of her injured eye's and feeding her babies Berol has rather a lot to deal with at the moment, no wonder she is still completely freaked out and terrified by life :(

Some of the Lymington buns do seem to be going through it at the moment. Furby is in today for a dental (he jumps when his jaw is touched) and hopefully a neuter and I know Netty is in for a dental and spay too.

Your three sound adorable. I hope Mum and babes all do well. They all deserve to live happy, healthy lives.

I just wonder what would have happened to all the Lymington buns if they hadn't been rescued when they were. And then I try and stop wondering as it is too awful to think about!!!

I am just so grateful to everyone who helped with the rescue. It must have been exhausting - physically and emotionally - but without you all, the buns would have had no chance.

Sending Bic, Biro and Berol loads and loads of vibes xxxxxx

Sending vibes for Mum and Babies, they have been through a lot, but hopefully the meds and TLC will see them through. :love: They're in the best of hands. Is Berol quite a young bunny herself?

Sending vibes for Mum and Babies, they have been through a lot, but hopefully the meds and TLC will see them through. :love: They're in the best of hands. Is Berol quite a young bunny herself?

Its hard to say, TBH she looks old but I think that is more because of what she has been through rather than her actual age. Her eyes are badly damaged so she looks like an old bun with cataracts but they are actually scars from untreated ulcers :(. I am hoping once babies are independent and she can be neutered things will settle down for her and she can be carefree and happy again

Oh my Liz, these poor rabbits have been through so much.

Sending lots of vibes up the M1.

I am sure with the spirit that they all seem to have, they'll go on to be happy bunnies even if their health isn't A1.

Its heartbreaking isn't it :( I am just so grateful to you for working so hard to get all those bunnies out.

I was shocked that Bic is so underweight as to look at him he looks the same as Biro but it is obviously all fur :(

At least Mum has had a good appetite from day one which helps :)

Lots of vibes for the little family. :( My trio are doing ok. I haven't had them neutered yet, as I wanted them to get settled a bit and eat better. They are nervous and don't like being touched, but they are also nosy and come up to me for a sniff and nosekiss.

I was thinking today that there have been members in the past who have said that they wont get a rabbit from a rescue because they have so many problems. But that only leaves pet shops and breeders. The place these rabbits came from was a breeder, who was breeding for pet shops and now the most healthy ones are in rescues looking for homes.

So how does going to a breeder or pet shop ensure you get a rabbit with less problems? Because where do rescue rabbits generally originate from??

Rescue rabbits have been fully health checked and assessed, hopefully have had most health problems rectified and been neutered and vaccinated :) So how on earth can it be better to get a rabbit elsewhere :? :?

Totally agree Liz. I've no regrets about Spenser, who seems so 'meant' for me ... but it does leave with me with the neutering question hanging ... you should see the looks I get from family and friends if I mention it. The lady I got him from was really fussy about her bunnies' future homes, but said she only neutered if bonding.

Totally agree Liz. I've no regrets about Spenser, who seems so 'meant' for me ... but it does leave with me with the neutering question hanging ... you should see the looks I get from family and friends if I mention it. The lady I got him from was really fussy about her bunnies' future homes, but said she only neutered if bonding.

it was different for you as there are no real rescues anywhere near you an you are miles and miles away from any that rehome nationally. I know how much time and thought you put into getting spenser and that you did try the rescue route first :D

Personally I would get him neutered as early as possible because as he gets older any bad hormonal habits he does pick up will be harder to get rid of through neutering. There was also a case of testicular cancer in rabbit health recently, although its not common it is definitely something to consider.

Back