• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to xeno??

Elliot was not quite himself yesterday afternoon. Quietly sitting in hutch when normally out free ranging, not coming for his tea. I had given him xeno spot on the day before. This morning he has had some cabbage and has gone out on the grass but he is still not himself.

I welcome any thoughts as this is my first experience of an off colour bun. He was fine before I gave him the xeno.

Why did you use the Xeno spot on? Reactions are possible but they are usually localised skin reactions to the ivermectin, although generally this preparation does not cause a skin reaction in most buns. I'm thinking it is more likely that whatever caused your bun to be run down enough in the first place to develop fur mites - if this is what you used it for? is what is causing bun to continue to be unwell today. Is he eating and doing any droppings? If not, he needs to see a vet urgently this morning.

Thanks for the reply prettylupin. His partner, Puddle had suspected mites (fine in herself just hair moult above the tail) so the vet said do both with xeno and disinfect the hutch. Elliot was fine.

He is eating grass now and seems a bit better so I will continue to monitor him this morning.

Normally most rabbits carry the Cheyletiella fur mite anyway in minor populations on the skin, it is only when bun is run down or overwhelmed by infestation (perhaps through contaminated hay) that they can not control the naturally occuring fur mite populations. So I would also be keeping a very close eye on Puddle in case she is hiding an illness you are not aware of.

Back