• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeder in Yarmouth area breeding ill rabbits. Shocking new descovery. =(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Most people know the story of my bun Grimlock. Some woman bought him from a pet shop but when she could no longer keep him / didn't want him I adopted him. He's cost me a bloody fortune in vet bills as everything is wrong with him. Blocked tear ducts, incisors had to be removed, jaw abscesses etc.

Then some of you will remember that not long ago I found a young bun in a pet shop in Yarmouth with his incisors sticking out of his mouth. The pet shop said they were clipping his teeth and waiting for someone who would take him on. I knew they had to come out so I took him (didn't pay). He had his incisors out and has been fine for a while, then adopted by my sister.

I always thought he was very similar to Grim, just a lot smaller. But same lanky build, long legs, same colouring and similar personality. Now he's got a jaw abscess just like Grim did. Me and my sister are gutted for him. He's being treated with depocillin like Grim was and hopefully will make a full recovery just as Grim did... but there's more.

While my sister was at the vets today my vet said that they had another bunny in that was also bought in the area... with the exact same problems. This rabbit is also a lop and also has similar colouring. So there is a breeder in the Yarmouth area breeding ill rabbits. Rabbits with serious life threatening problems. Me and my sister are very experienced and responsible owners, so we picked up on the problems straight away, but other people won't. And those rabbits will die. :(

The only consolation I have is that without Grim they wouldn't have researched the best ways to treat jaw abscesses so he's saved a couple of lives already. But it sickens me that this is going on. I've contacted my friend in the RSPCA to see if this warrants an investigation. What else can I do?

Please pass on this message to everyone you know. Orange, black and white lops in the Yarmouth area prone to teeth problems of all varieties and jaw abscesses under the tooth roots.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I'm seeing if they can. I hope they can. :(
I know where Dexter came from and I hope the other rabbit's owners know where their rabbit came from. But I have no idea with Grim. The pet shop where Dexter came from said they wouldn't get any more bunnies from that breeder, so they should know who s/he is.

Have you thought about asking where the pet shop gets their bunnies from? They might not even be locally bred. I am now curious which pet shop it is as there are not many in the yarmouth area (can't help being a bit nosey :lol:) On a serious note have you discussed this with the pet shop owner? It would be an idea to make them aware of the problem so they don't continue getting them from the same source.

Have you thought about asking where the pet shop gets their bunnies from? They might not even be locally bred. I am now curious which pet shop it is as there are not many in the yarmouth area (can't help being a bit nosey :lol:) On a serious note have you discussed this with the pet shop owner? It would be an idea to make them aware of the problem so they don't continue getting them from the same source.

We must have posted at the same time. :)

They told me they weren't getting any more but I don't want to say anything more incase I jeopardise any sort of investigation that I'm really hoping will happen.
The breeder may very well be selling to more than one pet shop but if you want to know where Dexter came from PM me and I'll let you know. They've been fairly good about the whole situation but to be fair they let a complete stranger take an ill rabbit. And they were clipping his teeth which is very dangerous. So I'm in two minds. :?

We must have posted at the same time. :)

They told me they weren't getting any more but I don't want to say anything more incase I jeopardise any sort of investigation that I'm really hoping will happen.
The breeder may very well be selling to more than one pet shop but if you want to know where Dexter came from PM me and I'll let you know. They've been fairly good about the whole situation but to be fair they let a complete stranger take an ill rabbit. And they were clipping his teeth which is very dangerous. So I'm in two minds. :?

With the teeth it could have been ignorance more than anything else. My boss always though it was ok to clip a rabbits front teeth until I told her otherwise. You could politly ask if it is a local breeder the rabbits come from ;)

Poor bunnies. Re the teeth clipping thing. We had a nethie when I was younger back in the late 80's/early 90's and that was the only treatment the vet offered us for his malloclusion. It's only since joining RU that I know differently now, but that does't mean other people don't.

quite a few vets still do clips teeth :(

hope you can do somthing for these poor buns its not an uncoomon story

excuse my ignorance (Ive never had a bun with any dental issues) *touch wood*

What are you supposed to do with teeth - in case I ever have to do anything about it... :D thankies

excuse my ignorance (Ive never had a bun with any dental issues) *touch wood*

What are you supposed to do with teeth - in case I ever have to do anything about it... :D thankies

If they over grow the vets can sort of file them down. Clipping them can cause them to crack and damage the jaw. Healthy buns will grind their teeth down naturally but with some breeds the teeth aren't aligned or are too big for the jaw. People are too fussed with the way a rabbit looks on the outside when they're breeding. :(

If they over grow the vets can sort of file them down. Clipping them can cause them to crack and damage the jaw. Healthy buns will grind their teeth down naturally but with some breeds the teeth aren't aligned or are too big for the jaw. People are too fussed with the way a rabbit looks on the outside when they're breeding.

Thankies :)

The 2 independant pet shops I know of in Yarmouth shouldn't be allowed to sell any livestock. The conditions are terrible. I'm not impressed with P@H either, but I join a list of thousands on that one !

There's one in Lowestoft that keeps guinea pigs and rabbits together too. :evil:

There are quite a few breeders on pets4homes and preloved in the Yarmouth area. I'm guessing it might be one of those :(

I just hope they decide to investigate it. Or I guess I'll end up doing it, but there's not much I can do, other than find out who it is.

The 2 independant pet shops I know of in Yarmouth shouldn't be allowed to sell any livestock. The conditions are terrible. I'm not impressed with P@H either, but I join a list of thousands on that one !

There's one in Lowestoft that keeps guinea pigs and rabbits together too. :evil:

There are quite a few breeders on pets4homes and preloved in the Yarmouth area. I'm guessing it might be one of those :(

Then perhaps the attention Yarmouth Council could be drawn to the pet shop owner's Pet Shop Licence from Broadlands District Council (or whichever Council covers Yarmouth).

http://www.broadland.gov.uk/PDF/Pet_Shop_licence_conditions_23_3_10.pdf

In particular, to Clause 2.4 about animals "interfering".

Hope this helps.

Back