• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jelly like string coming from bum?!

Sorry for such a gritty subject!!
I've noticed my 3 year old bun who I adopted 5 days ago, has had some thick, clear jelly like strings coming from his bum, but not in his poo?! It was only a small amount.
I noticed a bit last night and my husband thought maybe I was giving him too much veg, so reduced it tonight. Then, when I checked the buns had finished their night veg, saw he'd had 3 other episodes.
He doesn't seem in any pain,'plays around and running round happily. The only thing I've noticed, is that he doesn't poo half as much as my other bun, and drinks and pees for England.
Anyone come across this before??
Just been looking up online and seen suggestions of bloat or enteritis - could the stress of coming to a new home cause this? I'm really worried about him now :-(

Last edited:
I would get him to the vets as soon as you can tomorrow and get the vet to have a look at him. It would be best to take some of the poos with you as well (yuck, I know!)
Good luck.

Its not worms is it? xx

This was my first thought too :wave: or is it more like mucus? I think a vet trip is a good idea just to be sure. If you can bring them a sample it might help :mrgreen: I love bringing my vet poo samples :oops:

I would get him to the vets as soon as you can tomorrow and get the vet to have a look at him. It would be best to take some of the poos with you as well (yuck, I know!)
Good luck.

must have posted at the same time :lol: and what do you mean yuck?? :p

worms springs to mind instantly as it does for everyone else above. I can't think what else it would be. Definately worth a vets trip though just incase. I've never had a bun with worms, although i've seen a cat with worms and that fits the description your describing xxxx

Not enteritis looking is it? http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/gutstasis.asp

sorry missed the bit- but not his poo- ignore that then :)

Last edited:
Always best to get things checked out, the only other thing i ever heard of was a bunny can pass a lot of mucous when the diet is high in sugar. xxx

Worms are a possibility. But far more likely is that the mucous is due to intestinal inflammation. The inflammtory process produces mucuos so I suspect that somewhere in your bun's tummy there is an area of inflammation and tenderness. An irritable bowel can trigger the inflammatory response. Enteritis is basically inflammed bowel. Combine this with his reduced faecal output in comparison to your other buns and recent relocation e.g. stress as you say - I would say it was a touch of mucoid enteritis due to one or a combination of the following, pain, infection, diet, and/or stress exacerbating the condition.

If bun is eating tonight and doing some droppings then I would just keep encouraging this throughout the night, keep him calm and keep him eating and get him to the vet first thing in the morning. However, if at any point he deteriorates he may need to see the vet tonight, but hopefully he will be fine. Good luck x

Is the case with mucoid enteritis that it can come in severities? Like mild or serious? He is really well in himself, that's what's confusing me? He's wolfing his food down which I would have thought indicates he's not in pain?

Is the case with mucoid enteritis that it can come in severities? Like mild or serious? He is really well in himself, that's what's confusing me? He's wolfing his food down which I would have thought indicates he's not in pain?

Yes of course, most illness can fall anywhere along a spectrum, especially when you're talking about the rabbit GI tract. I wouldn't say it was acute mucoid enteritis that commonly affects very young rabbits, but more of a mild enteritis producing mucous if you see what I mean. Rabbits however do hide illness very well and he may be masking to a degree how he is feeling or any pain he is experiencing. You would be surprised at what they can hide - it doesn't pay to show it being a prey species as you make yourself a target for predators as easy prey. Mucous from the bottom is NOT normal and is clinically significant which is why he needs to see a vet tomorrow. Fortunately he is eating and as you say ok in himself and so therefore just keep a close eye on him tonight and try not to worry too much. :)

It sounds like the same symptoms Sprocket has had. I would get him to a vet ASAP for advice. In Sprocket's case my vet advised me to cut out all veg, just feed hay and a few pellets and gave him a course of Baytril. This seems to have cleared him up. We have to keep him on the no veg diet for another five days.

I don't think it would do any harm to cut out the veg until you get to a vet.

Back