• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homemade/cheap toys

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Does anyone have any inspiring ideas for toys that buns will love on a budget?

In the past I have spent a fortune on willow sticks and balls which remain largely unchewed and don't really serve their purpose as boredom breakers. They have a couple of tunnels which they love plus a good old cardboard box which is always a favourite but i'm afraid that is as far as my inspiration goes :?

Any ideas??

Paper bags full of nommy goodness usually go down well. Other than that I'm stumped too and could do with some good ideas!

My very own destro bun loves cardboard boxes, you can cut holes in them, stack them. Paper bags as youth novels has suggested are brilliant.

IF you have access to none sprayed bun edible shrubs and trees you gather twigs and branches. Please only do this if your sure of the species.
Some folk specially grow plants in their gardens to feed their buns or let them roam and nibble around.
Tie them in bunches and hang them just out of easy reach or stuff them into cardboard tubes to encourage foraging.

A child's discarded sandbit or babybath- check skips but ensure its not been used for other stuff- filled with sand or earth makes a good dig pit to play in as do kids balls.
You can get various sizes depending on the size of your bun. Make sure they cannot easily nom it.

Stuff a loo roll with a few pellets / treats and then fill it with hay - that seems quite a common one and i can vouch for how much Biscuit loves it.

Digging boxes, also agree :):wave:

Mine love a kitchen roll filled with hay and some fenucreek crunchies. My indoor buns also enjoy eating my books and post - but that isn't ideal for their little tummies. They like throwing the dustpan around when I am cleaning them out too - so I may get them their own - but doubt if they will sweep up their droppings:D

My newest bun, Furby, loves his blankie. He bites it - but doesn't seem to actually eat it, and digs in it and moves it around. I feel guilty taking it to wash so am going to get him another one.

I bought my indoor buns a wicker house. It was a great success and took them ages to eat it and before they did they played in it. I still have its carcass in their run in the garden. I got it from the pet section of Wyevale but haven't seen any more in there, although they do order things for me if I ask them. I think it was about £20 which seemed a lot at the time but it really did give them months of pleasure and was big enough for one of them to get inside - or both at a push. It had a roof and windows - shame they ate it, but better they eat their own house than mine!!

I'm another who does the loo roll stuffed with hay & a few pellets/treats hidden in amongst the hay & my buns LOVE it :wave:, when you have as many as some of us its amazing to find something so cheap to keep them entertained for ages hehe :D

also boxes, any shape, any size, my buns LOVE playing with boxes & hiding in them etc

& digging trays I'm sure would go down well too, fill a box/litteer tray/storage drawer with some dirt/sawdust/megazorb, that is if you don't mind the mess they make with it :lol:

Today I gave Lewis an egg box filled with hay and treats, he seemed to love it :lol: but then my mum was like... :O :shock: you need to zap that in the microwave as he could get salmonella from it :| So I did... and it set on fire!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:in 20 seconds!!!!!! :shock: :O It's the only homemade thing he seems to like aswell... everything else i've given him, he hasn't chewed... :?

Hi everyone :wave: I haven't been able to get on RU this weekend but thank you for all your wonderful ideas :D

They now have a big cardboard box with holes cut in it and I am busy saving all the toilet roll holders up. I think I will investigate a sand pit/digging pit on ebay too as I think it will go down a treat! :) I have also put a blanket in for them which they spend hours rearranging and getting generally annoyed at :p

Where can I get paper bags from?

we are cheeky enough to ask bear factory for one or 2 of their "take home teddy" boxes...they always say yes;)
green grocers might do paper bags or some clothes shops?

Back