• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help writting a letter of concern about hutch size, suggestions?

CrazyGal330

Warren Scout
Hi guys, bit of a lurker here as i dont own my own bunnies yet but am passionate about their care. A local quiet pub near where I live recently got bunnies and I am very sad to say they have a pair in this *sneakily taken photo while there*

Image0199.jpg

I think it is something similar to this http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=811&pf_id=51379

I have written the following so far and was hoping for some hints and tips to perfect my letter to them.

I am writing to express my concerns about the size of the accommodation your rabbits are currently being kept in.

I have lived in cambridge for just over a year now and in that time I have become quite fond of the ______ as my local pub and visit quite often in term time with friends and housemates. It is therefore saddening to me that when I visited the the pub that I love this Monday evening I saw them keeping rabbits in a way that is less than RSPCA recommended standards. This is something that makes me reluctant to return to the pub as the way they are kept will only encourage by example to others to keep rabbits in such small living conditions which I cannot agree with and do not want to see as it upset me considerably on my last visit.

I am delighted that you have a pair of bunnies that seem very well bonded and seem very happy together, however they desperately need a larger home. I am not sure whether you let them have access to the garden or any open running space at any point during the day or not but if you don’t then they will definitely also need a secured run. The RSPCA and RWA recommend that a pair of rabbits needs a minimum 6ft by 2ft hutch with a minimum 6ft run also.

I hope you can see that I am writing out of compassion and concern and not trying to be condescending in anyway and I am sure that your bunnies would be happier and also healthier with more space to behave naturally. If you agree and are interested in further research I would highly recommend TheRabbitHouse.com for basic info, and TheRabbitHutchShop.co.uk has some fantastic 6ft hutches for great prices.

I would be delighted to hear your views on my letter if you get the time to write back to me.

thanks for reading, help would be great! :D

Good Lord :shock: :shock: I'm very inexperienced but common sense would tell you that's way too small.
I looked at one of these size hutches for my bun to dive into for security if a bird came overhead or something while she was outside!

I think you make some good points but it could be written a little more like a helpful suggestion than an accusation of animal cruelty (sorry to be blunt!)

how about
"I have lived in cambridge for just over a year now and in that time I have become quite fond of the ______ as my local pub and visit quite often in term time with friends and housemates.
On Monday evening I came down for a meal/drink and was intrigued to see that you have taken on a beautiful pair of very well bonded rabbits!
My only concern is the size of their hutch, I don't wish to come across as condescending but I was wondering if you have looked at current rspca minimum standards in housing?
It's absolutely lovely to see rabbits being able to stretch out and do the acrobatic jumps they do and it's generally accepted that to do this rabbits need a minimum of a 6x2 hutch with 24/7 access to a secure 6x6 run, which your current housing falls drastically short of.

I think that you have a fantastic opportunity to set an excellent example in bunny-care by giving your rabbits a large home with plenty of toys, showing people how they should be kept.
You could even put up a little sign with tips for rabbit care (such as the benefits of neutering, the need for vaccinations and the importance of hay in their diet) which would show your customers that you are an educated, caring business as well as promoting the importance of correct care for rabbits.

I hope you can see that I am writing out of compassion and concern and not trying to be condescending in anyway. I am sure that your bunnies would be happier and also healthier with more space to behave naturally and that your customers would rather see them that way.
If you agree and are interested in further research I would highly recommend TheRabbitHouse.com for basic info, and TheRabbitHutchShop.co.uk has some fantastic 6ft hutches for great prices.

Please bear in mind that as an owner (and particularly one who may be setting an example) you have a duty of care to your animals and must provide suitable housing.

I would be delighted to hear your views on my letter if you get the time to write back to me, and as a fellow rabbit owner would be glad to give you any advice that I could.

I think you make some good points but it could be written a little more like a helpful suggestion than an accusation of animal cruelty (sorry to be blunt!)

how about
"I have lived in cambridge for just over a year now and in that time I have become quite fond of the ______ as my local pub and visit quite often in term time with friends and housemates.
On Monday evening I came down for a meal/drink and was intrigued to see that you have taken on a beautiful pair of very well bonded rabbits!
My only concern is the size of their hutch, I don't wish to come across as condescending but I was wondering if you have looked at current rspca minimum standards in housing?
It's absolutely lovely to see rabbits being able to stretch out and do the acrobatic jumps they do and it's generally accepted that to do this rabbits need a minimum of a 6x2 hutch with 24/7 access to a secure 6x6 run, which your current housing falls drastically short of.

I think that you have a fantastic opportunity to set an excellent example in bunny-care by giving your rabbits a large home with plenty of toys, showing people how they should be kept.
You could even put up a little sign with tips for rabbit care (such as the benefits of neutering, the need for vaccinations and the importance of hay in their diet) which would show your customers that you are an educated, caring business as well as promoting the importance of correct care for rabbits.

I hope you can see that I am writing out of compassion and concern and not trying to be condescending in anyway. I am sure that your bunnies would be happier and also healthier with more space to behave naturally and that your customers would rather see them that way.
If you agree and are interested in further research I would highly recommend TheRabbitHouse.com for basic info, and TheRabbitHutchShop.co.uk has some fantastic 6ft hutches for great prices.

Please bear in mind that as an owner (and particularly one who may be setting an example) you have a duty of care to your animals and must provide suitable housing.

I would be delighted to hear your views on my letter if you get the time to write back to me, and as a fellow rabbit owner would be glad to give you any advice that I could.

Lovely letter Kat- much more amicable. Although the orginal was very well written also.

I used your modified letter combined with mine and a few tweaks and i also printed off the RWA leaflet about laws and up to date size reccomendations as well as general info about rabbit care. I posted it through their door last friday but have so far heard nothing back, i will post here again if i get any updates. hoping for a happy ending!

I used your modified letter combined with mine and a few tweaks and i also printed off the RWA leaflet about laws and up to date size reccomendations as well as general info about rabbit care. I posted it through their door last friday but have so far heard nothing back, i will post here again if i get any updates. hoping for a happy ending!

Well done for taking action, I hope they reply to your letter & make some drastic changes :wave:

Back