• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

letter of complaint to vets. u/d post 18 letter from vet

The first time i had a problem with my vet, Dolly had a reaction to the Cylap VHD. I suggested this to my vet but he dismissed my thoughts and told me that i shouldnt believe everything i read on the internet!! :censored: I had planned to send a report and a list of side effects but i didnt get round to it.

I finally found a great vet this week so they called Markse Vets to get the buns records. I got a letter today from Markse vets wanting to know why I am leaving and if i could fill out a questionnaire!! :roll: I got kind of annoyyed by the questionnaire, especially when i was given a tiny box to explain my reasons for transferring. So i decided i would write a letter and include the report and list of side effects as well as all the other little things that i wasnt happy about.

Please can you proof read it for me? Im not sure if im going too far or if im nit picking.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this letter in response to the questionnaire sent to me after transferring my rabbits to Wilton House Veterinary Clinic.

I have a number of reasons for leaving the practice. Firstly, I brought my doe in for a VHD vaccination on the 17th June. 48 hours after vaccination the hair around the injection site fell out, the skin was red and swollen but not broken (See enclosed image “2 days after Cylap VHD Vaccination”). I did some research and found that Dolly’s symptoms were side effects of the Cylap injection that was used (please see enclosed NOAI: Cylap: Contra-indications, warnings etc). I then found some reports in which 8 of 16 rabbits had the same or similar reactions (please see enclosed Report detailing serious reaction to the Cylap VHD vaccine, September 2008 to May 2009.).

I brought Dolly in to be seen and when I suggested a reaction to the vaccination, the vet rejected my thoughts on the matter and said “I’ve never seen or heard of this” and “not everything on the internet is correct”. I was surprised at how dismissive the vet was and due to his reaction doubt that the incident was even reported to the manufacturer. Dolly was prescribed Baytril for what I still believe was a reaction to the VHD vaccine. Days later, she developed another lesion which got larger over the period of 2-3 days. It eventually extended from her shoulder to her chest and under her chin and the skin looked dead. The hair has now grown back grey.

I understand that this reaction couldn’t have been prevented and that Dolly would still have been left with the scars however it has made me question the amount of experience the vet has had with treating rabbits due to the way he handled the situation. I feel that the possible side effects should be made clear to all rabbit owners before rabbits are vaccinated, especially the younger or less experienced owner so that they know what to look out for. After this incident I felt that Marske Vets would be unable to give my rabbits the appropriate care should they ever suffer from a potentially fatal illness such as Gastrointestinal Stasis, Myxomatosis or Pasteurellosis for example. This is the main reason I began to look for another vet.

Secondly, on the 9th September I brought both of my rabbits in to be examined as I suspected they had syphilis (vent disease). I wasn’t sure if I saw a vet or a nurse however they confirmed the diagnosis and gave each rabbit a dose of penicillin. Everything went straight forward apart from the member of staff was speaking to my friend rather than myself, even though I handled the rabbits and explained the problem myself. This happens every time I am accompanied by someone, I may only be 18, but I am their main carer and take responsibility for all of their needs. The rabbits have never been brought to the vets by another member of the family and I expected that the staff would be used to seeing me with them. I’m sure this is just a misunderstanding however I have never been treat like a child by Wilton House Vets or White Cross Vets. I was also told that I could not administer the penicillin at home on my own, I wasn’t told why, but I know a number of other rabbit owners who have been able to do so.

When it came to paying for the treatment, I was given a bill for £65.16! £44.00 for 2 consultations which I have never been charged for in the past, not even for our dog. I understand if you have only recently begun charging for consultations; however £22 per rabbit is a bit excessive. The charge for the Crystapen was £10.58 per rabbit which is again very excessive. This bill would not have included the price for the following 6 injections and I’m sure any pet owner would find this incredibly expensive, but as a full time student, I feel prices are now unreasonable.

I would be interested to hear your views on the way Dolly’s reaction was handled but after this situation and the increasing cost of treatment I felt that it would be in the best interests of my rabbits and my bank balance to transfer Marley and Dolly to a different practice.

Last edited:
The first time i had a problem with my vet, Dolly had a reaction to the Cylap VHD. I suggested this to my vet but he dismissed my thoughts and told me that i shouldnt believe everything i read on the internet!! :censored: I had planned to send a report and a list of side effects but i didnt get round to it.

I finally found a great vet this week so they called Markse Vets to get the buns records. I got a letter today from Markse vets wanting to know why I am leaving and if i could fill out a questionnaire!! :roll: I got kind of annoyyed by the questionnaire, especially when i was given a tiny box to explain my reasons for transferring. So i decided i would write a letter and include the report and list of side effects as well as all the other little things that i wasnt happy about.

Please can you proof read it for me? Im not sure if im going too far or if im nit picking.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this letter in response to the questionnaire sent to me after transferring my rabbits to Wilton House Veterinary Clinic.

I have a number of reasons for leaving the practice. Firstly, I brought my doe in for a VHD vaccination on the 17th June. 48 hours after vaccination the hair around the injection site fell out, the skin was red and swollen but not broken (See enclosed image “2 days after Cylap VHD Vaccination”). I did some research and found that Dolly’s symptoms were side effects of the Cylap injection that was used (please see enclosed NOAI: Cylap: Contra-indications, warnings etc). I then found some reports in which 8 of 16 rabbits had the same or similar reactions (please see enclosed Report detailing serious reaction to the Cylap VHD vaccine, September 2008 to May 2009.).

I brought Dolly in to be seen and when I suggested a reaction to the vaccination, the vet rejected my thoughts on the matter and said “I’ve never seen or heard of this” and “not everything on the internet is correct”. I was surprised at how dismissive the vet was and due to his reaction doubt that the incident was even reported to the manufacturer. Dolly was prescribed Baytril for what I still believe was a reaction to the VHD vaccine. Days later, she developed another lesion which got larger over the period of 2-3 days. It eventually extended from her shoulder to her chest and under her chin and the skin looked dead. The hair has now grown back grey.

I understand that this reaction couldn’t have been prevented and that Dolly would still have been left with the scars however it has made me question the amount of experience the vet has had with treating rabbits due to the way he handled the situation. I feel that the possible side effects should be made clear to all rabbit owners before rabbits are vaccinated, especially the younger or less experienced owner so that they know what to look out for. After this incident I felt that Marske Vets would be unable to give my rabbits the appropriate care should they ever suffer from a potentially fatal illness such as Gastrointestinal Stasis, Myxomatosis or Pasteurellosis for example. This is the main reason I began to look for another vet.

Secondly, on the 9th September I brought both of my rabbits in to be examined as I suspected they had syphilis (vent disease). I wasn’t sure if I saw a vet or a nurse however they confirmed the diagnosis and gave each rabbit a dose of penicillin. Although there were no technical issues with this appointment I resented that the member of staff addressed my friend rather than me, even though I handled the rabbits and explained the problem myself. This happens every time I am accompanied by someone, I may only be 18, but I am their main carer and take responsibility for all of their needs. The rabbits have never been brought to the vets by another member of the family and I expected that the staff would be used to seeing me with them. I’m sure this is just a misunderstanding however I have never been treated like a child by Wilton House Vets or White Cross Vets. I was also told that I could not administer the penicillin at home on my own, I wasn’t told why, but I know a number of other rabbit owners who have been able to do so.

When it came to paying for the treatment, I was given a bill for £65.16! £44.00 for 2 consultations which I have never been charged for in the past, not even for our dog. I understand if you have only recently begun charging for consultations; however £22 per rabbit seems excessive. The charge for the Crystapen was £10.58 per rabbit which is again very expensive. This bill would not have included the price for the following 6 injections and I’m sure any pet owner would find this incredibly expensive, and as a full time student I feel that your charges are now unreasonable.

I would be interested to hear your views on the way Dolly’s reaction was handled but after this situation and the increasing cost of treatment I felt that it would be in the best interests of my rabbits and my bank balance to transfer Marley and Dolly to a different practice.

Good letter - you are more articulate than most of my colleagues! I'd make the changes in bold, but wouldn't mess around with it otherwise - it's very clear.

My vet charges about £22 for a consult, but we usually get 2for1 on our rabbits as they're so small (I'm not really sure why that makes a difference but that's usually what they say!).

Good letter - you are more articulate than most of my colleagues! I'd make the changes in bold, but wouldn't mess around with it otherwise - it's very clear.

Thanks for having a read, its really helpful. I have made the suggested changes and have also been in touch with the lady who wrote the report (fionaw). After some of the things she has told me i am wondering if i should take this matter further. I think the dangers of this vaccine are played down, i asked a vet from a different practice if they have ever seen or heard of these ractions. She told me yes, but its very rare.

50% of rabbits actually have a reaction! 2 in 5 have serious reactions and fiona has told me of another rabbit who has died after ongoing complications...this doesnt sound rare to me!

I know the lapinject version also carries risks and that some rabbits have also died after the jab was administered. Its also common for rabbits to be quiet and off colour for a few days afterwards but whenever ive had a vaccination, im often a little off colour for a few days afterwards! I would say its to be expected.

Any thoughts/reports or articles that may be of interest would be much apreciated.

Not something I know much (anything) about.....I think there was a thread a few days ago discussion cylap vs lapinject though....

Thank you, Snouter. Did you also forget to make the following statement bold?

I was somewhat surprised at this response, because these types of adverse reactions are clearly set out in the manufacturer's product data. W websiteI ?

I am currently on the website for Fort Dodge and have just read the contra-indications. I will dfinitey be adding this to my letter. Would i add the URL or should i just print off this information and enclose it with the other report? That way i know that my vet will see it.

I have decided that i wont take matters any further, other than meeting with my vet and giving him the letter. The actual bill for Dollys reaction wasn't expensive and there is no need to get in touch with Fort Dodge, however i will be interested to hear my vets opinion and wether they have reported the incident to the manufacturer like they are supposed to.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this letter in response to the questionnaire that was sent to me after transferring my rabbits to Wilton House Veterinary Clinic.

I have a number of reasons for leaving the practice, which are set out below. Firstly, I brought my doe in for a VHD vaccination on the 17th June. 48 hours after this vaccination, the hair around the injection site fell out and the skin was red and swollen but not broken (See enclosed image “2 days after Cylap VHD Vaccination”). I then undertook some independent research and found that Dolly’s symptoms were side effects of the Cylap injection that was used (please see enclosed NOAI: Cylap: Contra-indications, warnings etc). I then found some reports in which 8 out of 16 rabbits had the same or similar reactions (please see enclosed Report detailing serious reaction to the Cylap VHD vaccine, September 2008 to May 2009.).

I brought Dolly in to be seen and, when I suggested a reaction to the vaccination, the vet rejected my thoughts on the matter and said “I’ve never seen or heard of this” and “not everything on the internet is correct”. I was somewhat surprised at this response, because these types of adverse reactions are clearly set out in the manufacturer's product data. With which I would have expected the vet to have been familiar. I was surprised at how dismissive the vet was and due to his reaction doubt that the incident was even reported to the manufacturer. Dolly was prescribed Baytril for what I still believe was a reaction to the VHD vaccine. Days later, she developed another lesion which got larger over the period of 2-3 days. It eventually extended from her shoulder to her chest and under her chin and the skin looked dead. The hair has now grown back grey.

I understand that this reaction couldn’t have been prevented and that Dolly would still have been left with the scars. However, it has made me question the amount of experience that the vet has had with treating rabbits due to the way he handled the situation. I feel that the possible side effects should be made clear to all rabbit owners before rabbits are vaccinated, especially the younger or less experienced owners so that they know what to look out for. After this incident I felt that Marske Vets would be unable to give my rabbits the appropriate care should they ever suffer from a more complex and potentially fatal illness such as Gastrointestinal Stasis, Myxomatosis or Pasteurellosis for example. This is the main reason why I began to look for another vet.

Secondly, on the 9th September I brought both of my rabbits in to be examined as I suspected that they had syphilis (vent disease). I wasn’t sure if I saw a vet or a nurse, however they confirmed the diagnosis and gave each rabbit a dose of penicillin. Everything went in a straight forward manner apart from the fact that the member of staff was speaking to my friend rather than myself, even though I handled the rabbits and explained the problem myself. This happens every time I am accompanied to the practice by someone else. I may only be18, but I am their main carer and take responsibility for all of their needs. The rabbits have never been brought to the vets by another member of the family and I expected that the staff would be used to seeing me with them. I’m sure this is just a misunderstanding, however I have never been treated like a child by Wilton House Vets or White Cross Vets. I was also told that I could not administer the penicillin at home on my own, although I wasn’t told why, and am aware that a number of other rabbit owners have been able to do so.

When it came to paying for the treatment, I was given a bill for £65.16! £44.00 for 2 consultations which I have never been charged for in the past, not even for our dog. I understand if you have only recently begun charging for consultations; however £22 per rabbit is a bit excessive. The charge for the Crystapen was £10.58 per rabbit which is again very excessive. This bill would not have included the price for the following 6 injections and I’m sure any pet owner would find this incredibly expensive, but as a full time student, I feel that prices are now unreasonable.

I should be interested to hear your views on the way Dolly’s reaction was handled but after this situation and the increasing cost of treatment I felt that it would be in the best interests of my rabbits and my bank balance to transfer Marley and Dolly to a different practice.

Good letter. May I respectfully offer the modifications in bold for your consideration.

Thank you, Snouter. Did you also forget to make the following statement bold?

I was somewhat surprised at this response, because these types of adverse reactions are clearly set out in the manufacturer's product data. W websiteI ?

I am currently on the website for Fort Dodge and have just read the contra-indications. I will dfinitey be adding this to my letter. Would i add the URL or should i just print off this information and enclose it with the other report? That way i know that my vet will see it.

I have decided that i wont take matters any further, other than meeting with my vet and giving him the letter. The actual bill for Dollys reaction wasn't expensive and there is no need to get in touch with Fort Dodge, however i will be interested to hear my vets opinion and wether they have reported the incident to the manufacturer like they are supposed to.

:)

ETA: I took a rabbit in for a health check and vaccinations, he has been rehomed now with charlie82 (i think thats her RU name! :oops: ). I didnt know at the time, but Clarence had pin worm and was deaf (i put it down to lack of experience). When i took him for a health check, is this something my vet should have noticed? :?

Last edited:
Yes, I omitted a bit that should have been bold.

If the rest of the letter is in electronic form then a link or paper if it's in that format.

Just suggestions. I hope you get a satisfactory response.

ETA: I'm not a vet so I don't know what a vet "should have noticed" re pin worm. Other RU'ers are very knowledgeable, perhaps they'll know and comment.

Last edited:
just bumping it up to see if any of the more experienced bunny folks could answer my previous question...

:)

ETA: I took a rabbit in for a health check and vaccinations, he has been rehomed now with charlie82 (i think thats her RU name! :oops: ). I didnt know at the time, but Clarence had pin worm and was deaf (i put it down to lack of experience). When i took him for a health check, is this something my vet should have noticed? :?

It would not be possible to diagnose Pinworm on a basic examination. Unless the Bun happened to poo at the time.

Unless the deafness was the result of an ear infection, which should be picked up on, 'deafness' may be missed during a routine health check.

letter to vet and VHD reaction

I am glad you are asking the vet to report the reaction-- I don't think it is well known...
Recently I asked my vet if the VHD jab she was about to administer was Cylap (sp) because of seeing stuff on this forum about reactions-- I hadn't had time to read it .
She said it WAS and that she had never experienced or heard of reactions-- and this is one of the vets who is more clued up about rabbits in the local practice. I went ahead because this was a young vigorous rabbit-- no reaction luckily but I'm glad I know to look and i agree with you that they should tell people to make sure the rabbit is OK after jab..

I am a bit of a coward about confronting vets as in our case we have no real choice and I need to be on good terms. Like doctors, many vets seem not to be terribly keen on people reading up on the Intenet. I try not to burn bridges in case I need to return that way for future help. But well done for giving them important feedback.
Shebunkin

I am glad you are asking the vet to report the reaction-- I don't think it is well known...
Recently I asked my vet if the VHD jab she was about to administer was Cylap (sp) because of seeing stuff on this forum about reactions-- I hadn't had time to read it .
She said it WAS and that she had never experienced or heard of reactions-- and this is one of the vets who is more clued up about rabbits in the local practice. I went ahead because this was a young vigorous rabbit-- no reaction luckily but I'm glad I know to look and i agree with you that they should tell people to make sure the rabbit is OK after jab..

I am a bit of a coward about confronting vets as in our case we have no real choice and I need to be on good terms. Like doctors, many vets seem not to be terribly keen on people reading up on the Intenet. I try not to burn bridges in case I need to return that way for future help. But well done for giving them important feedback.
Shebunkin

In my opinion, politely telling a vet about Cylap reactions is not "confronting" them, but"informing" them.

The source is declared (the manufacturer's product data sheet) and therefore assumed to be reasonably accurate.

I would assume that most vets would wish to be knowledgeable about the products that they are injecting into their customers' animals.

Shebunkin

Im terrified about confronting people! I was pretty annoyed at some of the problems ive had, but ive just lost confidence in them. I wasnt going to complain, i was just going to change vets and leave it at that.

But since they want my opinion, ill give it to them, and the tiny weeny box they gave me on the questionnaire was WAY too small! ;) :lol:

But im eager to hear from them.

Ok finally got my letter printed today, it took me ages to find a colour printer to print the report. :roll:

Anyway, gave it to dad, and yes, it does seem like a lot to read, but the report i included was 8 pages long. I gave it to dad to proof read. He just looked at it ans said "your not a vet, your taking it a bit far, its ridiculous, just tell them your not happy with the service"

:( Not sure im going to send it now, hes made me feel like a total idiot and said that ill just embarrass myself. The letter isnt any different to the one in my first post, apart from a few tweaks here and there. Why do i bother :censored:

You should send it. You won't embarrass yourself - granted, you're not a vet but you've raised legitimate concerns in an articulate way. Parents are not always right! You can consider their opinion, but it is their opinion, as you said yourself you are 18 and an adult. Please report back when you have a reply from the vets.

If you're leaving the practice, you've got nothing to lose and they may learn something that will help them deal with other bunnies and owners in the future.

Incidently, I took Sergeant back to the vet a week after his VHD jab as I could feel something sharp in the back of his neck. She immediately said it was a mild VHD reaction. It was just a scab, which healed perfectly, but at least she's proof that it is well known that VHD jabs can cause reactions and your old vet doesn't know what they're talking about!

I was supposed to update this thread last month, but have been busy with other things and totally forgot. I got a reply from the surgery after sending them my letter. They replied on 11th October and they said:

Dear Miss Woodings,

Thank you for taking the trouble to write to us, and for your constructive and informed letter. I am sorry that Dolly suffered a severe reaction and that you have decided to leave the practice. You have raised a number of points which i shall endeavour to address.

All oily injections, including Cylap, have the potential to cause reactions. The veterinary surgeon which you saw, who incidentally has now left the practice, should have been conversant with the data sheet, and should have addressed your concerns. I have discussed this with the other vets in the practice, and we will now warn all rabbit owners about the possible side effects.

The veterinary surgeon, who saw your rabbits with syphilis, was a locum doing some work for us, but is also very experienced with rabbits. Her main job is running an RSPCA clinic. Unfortunately she would not have known you or your family.

I myself have extensive experience in treating rabbits, and my current colleagues are also up competent in rabbit medicine and surgery.

The consultation fee has been £22 for at least 18months. The fee charged should have been £22 between the 2 rabbits, plus £10.58 again, split between the two, for the penicillin injection. The vial, once made up, has to be used within 24 hours. Had you brought say 5 rabbits the price would have been £10.58 in total. Subsequent appointments we would have charged for the injections alone.

I have looked to see if we can use smaller vials, but they are no longer available, and this is only benzylpenicillin on the market.

We would not let owners give injections at home, for health and safety reasons.

I hope this answers your quieries and hope you may consider using us again in the future.

I wasnt sure what to make of it, for some reason i was dissatisfied with their reply.

1. With no thanks to them, I know that oily injections can cause reactions but i had to find this out off RU rather than the vet himself. AND he was a total :censored: when i tried to suggest that it was a reaction! :evil:

2. I dont care if the vet i saw on another occasion was a locum, i was speaking directly to her and she should have done the same rather than talk to my friend who was sat at the back of the room whos never had a rabbit in her life!

If they do like they say they are going to and warn all bunny owners about the side effects of cylap, i suppose thats one good thing to come out of it all. But ill never know because im NEVER going back there!

Sounds just like the experience I had with complaining about Cloud's myxi treatment (or lack of... :roll:).

The replies I had were equally unhelpful and after requesting a refund, they ignored me and pretty much suggested I leave their practice instead. :roll:

I'm debating sending copies to their head office still but I really don't know if it's worth it. :(

Sounds just like the experience I had with complaining about Cloud's myxi treatment (or lack of... :roll:).

The replies I had were equally unhelpful and after requesting a refund, they ignored me and pretty much suggested I leave their practice instead. :roll:

I'm debating sending copies to their head office still but I really don't know if it's worth it. :(

I did look for some information on the RCVS website about what to do if you are unhappy about the way you or your pets have been treated. It was quite helpful but after reading through it i decided it wasnt worth it in this case.

Maybe if Dolly was seriously ill or had god forbid died, then i would have gone all the way but there was no way id keep her at that practice for fear of it ever coming to that. I have read about poor clouds myxi though, and i would maybe consider taking it further as its quite often fatal but as you said, there arent many vets on your island, so you would have to consider it more carefully i suppose.

Back