• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad Start - Happy Ending

SkegMag

Warren Scout
Thought you might be interested in a story of an inexperience rabbit keeper (me) getting a first rabbit:

I lost my Yorkie last November and had been thinking of getting another pet for a while. I visited my son who's 3 house rabbits included a gorgeous, docile, neutered lionhead, Merlin. I fell in love with him. Next day, I saw a female baby lionhead - exactly like Merlin - in our local pet shop. Love at first sight, I bought her (Sukie).

Brought her home, and over the next couple of weeks I was getting to stroke her and lift her a few times. I've never had a bun before and was more nervous of her than she of me, mainly because I'd began to read about rabbits on the web and was scaring myself half to death!

Merlin was a lonely boy, so we thought it a good idea to try to bond him and Sukie. Kept them side by side for a few days etc etc, (advice off the internet) then finally tried them together. A fight ensued - Sukie the instigator - Merlin, who was subsequently taken back home, wondering what the heck was happening - neither hurt, luckily.
During this time, Sukie changed into an absolute monster - wild, ruby glow eyes, stomping, charging, thumping around. So much so I was scared stiff of her and I was literally jumping onto the kitchen worktops during her runs in fear of her biting me - not an easy task when you're 55! This went on for a few days and I was sobbing my heart out almost continually as I felt I couldn't cope with her, and frustration because I so wanted to be a bunny mummy!
Hubby had a word with an aquaintance who was from the rspca, who said she'd have Sukie herself if I couldn't cope.
My son visited, saw what a state I was in, and suggested taking Sukie back with them to give me a break. Feeling guilty about 'dumping' her on my son, a few days later I rang him to say I'd have her back. Back she came, and I couldn't believe it - she'd turned into a little angel! The wild look had disappeared from her eyes and she was as calm as ever.

That all happened a few weeks ago - and now we've built up a fantastic relationship and trust in each other - and this forum has helped me along the way tremendously with tips and advice.

She's being spayed in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping to re-introduce her to Merlin when she's over her op.

Pictures of Sukie:

11.jpg

1.jpg

Oh she's lovely, thank you for sharing the pictures and her story. The spay should sort out her hormones. Hope you will keep us posted with how she gets on. :wave:

What a lovely looking bun, and well done you for sticking with it. I got my buns a few months ago and they were my first and I didn't realise how much work they were but it's totally worth it when I saw Luna groom Indy for the first time ever. :love:

Awwww stick with her, she is lovely, I'm sure when she is over her spay she will bond alright, she is very sweet :wave:

Thanks, all, for your encouraging words:)
There's absolutely no question of me parting with her now - I was really down and at my wits end at the time - she's a little angel - I've got to know her little ways now, and my confidence has increased enormously!

Back