• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye infection or teeth?

weedug

Mama Doe
How easy is it for a vet to tell the difference between the 2?

And would weeping eyes because of a tooth problem still effect both eyes?

The bun I loved at P@H adoption place still has trouble with his eyes, and is still being treated for an infection. I know the vet has looked at his teeth because I told them I thought it was a tooth problem, but he hasn't had any x-rays done.

I know that my rabbits go off their food when they have a dental problem. Also, a vet can examine a rabbits mouth when it is awake and from my experience, the vet has also been able to see ulcers or spurrs.

Unless the Bun has had skull radiographs then Dental issues cannot be excluded. It is the tooth roots that can cause runny eyes, the roots can elongate and press on the nasolacrimal duct. You cannot diagnose tooth root elongation without skull radiographs.

Unless the Bun has had skull radiographs then Dental issues cannot be excluded. It is the tooth roots that can cause runny eyes, the roots can elongate and press on the nasolacrimal duct. You cannot diagnose tooth root elongation without skull radiographs.

And if both eyes are runny, could that still point to tooth roots, or would that be uncommon?

And if both eyes are runny, could that still point to tooth roots, or would that be uncommon?

It really would be pure speculation as TRE can be unilateral or bilateral. If the Rabbit has had a lot of treatment and the problem remains then ruling out TRE would seem a sensible course of action. At least then you'd know what you were dealing with and thus get a better idea of what to expect longterm.

OK, thanks. He's been treated for just over 3 weeks now. I was told over a week ago that he was fine, now I've been told his eyes are bad again :roll:

I've just been thorugh the same thing over the last two weeks with Honey. She only had one weepy eye. Antibiotic gel for 10 days, tear duct flushing twice and xrays to check tooth roots. Eyes appear fine now. Xrays showed teeth to be slightly long, poor bunny no longer allowed to have few bits of mix she so loved, which could affect tear ducts as Jack's-Jane said. Vet has said cutting out her bit of mix will hopefully encourage her to eat more hay (thought she ate loads anyway, obviously not enough).I 've had to pay out an awful lot of money over last two weeks but glad I had xrays done. At least you'd know what's what then. Good luck!!:wave:

when we first got angel she was fine few weeks later one of her eyes began running. She had eye drops then flushes every other day for months, she also had regular dentals. Eventually we found our rabbit vet and first thing she done was knock her out and check her teeth and done x-rays which showed her tear duct had shut down and the next flush could kill her! so no more flushing she got regular eye drops and dentals which went from few months to every other sometimes 2 in one month
Sometimes both her eyes ran but norm just her right one.
Her x-rays also showed it was her roots pushing onto her ducts and that she had severe mouth disease that we were told would eventually kill her.
She cant eat hay anymore for over 2 years now.
Anyway we have recently had good news her tear duct has began working again and her teeth are now nearlyt all gone.
We would never have known any of this had we not found a proper rabbit vet who done x-rays. However I doubt petshop will pay and whos going to want to buy a pet thats going to be so exspensive (I would but you get what I mean) maybes look for a rescue to get involved.
We have paid thousands over 3 years on angel. At one stage £150 a week so hoping shes good now.

Poor Angel certainly sounds like she has had a tough time of it!

The bun in P@H is in the adoption section, so it is a charity that is paying for him. I don't know what they will do if his eyes keep getting bad.

I know from another rabbit I adopted from them, that they do spend quite a lot of money on them. She needed treatment for an abscess for over 6 weeks.

I will keep asking about the poor bun, and keep up to date about his treatment. It really annoys me that he was up for adoption when I complained to them about his eyes. Turns out he needed neutered too because he had been in a fight the night before and his boy bits were in a bit of a mess!

He must have been in agony, poor soul. And they were going to sell him!!

I'll shut up before I get too worked up :oops:

Back