• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed please (not eating) updated post 6

alio71

Mama Doe
As some of you may know I have recently started to foster a bun with jaw abcesses. He was obviously in pain yesterday so I took him to the vets and he had an antibiotic injection and pain relief. I have given him more pain relief this morning but he does not appear to be eating. He is extremely lively this morning, currently doing laps of the conservatory with his wifebun. Last night I saw him nibble on a few bit of spring greens but nothing so far today. His pellets are untouched and fresh veg, hay and herbs don't seem to be interesting him either. So my question is how long is it safe to leave him before I take further action? He found the trips to the vet very stressful yesterday could this contribute to it as well as moving house? I also know it is my rabbit savvy vets day off today so what if anything do I need for him and what should they check. Sorry for all the questions but this is my first non eating bun :oops:

Last edited:
Have you tried soaking pellets in water to make them easier to eat?

Or if he likes spring greens maybe blend some up so he can effectively lick them up?

Like a puree diet.

Is he pooing?

Its not safe to leae him too long, but its a judgement call a lot of the time, to be honest. I suspect other people may say get him back to the vets ASAP. I would wonder if maybe the pain killers are not working enough for him, although the fact he is acting so bright is great!

Ok, mushed pellets in. There are some tiny dark poos in the room but I am not totally sure who's they are. He weighs 2.6kg and is on 0.12ml of metacam twice a day. Is that enough? I will give him another couple of hours and then whip him to the vets I think.

TBH the dose of Metacam is minimal and I would not expect such a small dose to be of any benefit in a case of osteomyelitis :?

Also, it is very important that he is not having oral Metacam on an empty stomach so until the Vets can get his pan under control you'll need to syringe feed him.

Thanks, I'm onto it! The rescue wanted 2 opinions on the way forward with him so it was the first vet who gave him that not mine. The rescue has chosen my vet to go with so I'll ring them now and something to syringe feed him with and ask them to change the dose. :D

Ok I am now syringe feeding Archie every couple of hours with critical care and have upped his metacam to 0.5ml. He has begun to eat some grated carrot now. But his bum is very smelly and messy with special poop. Do I need to do anything else other than clean him up. He is booked into the vets in the morning. Shall I keep syringing even though he is eating little bits? Thanks oh RU experts!

Ok I am now syringe feeding Archie every couple of hours with critical care and have upped his metacam to 0.5ml. He has begun to eat some grated carrot now. But his bum is very smelly and messy with special poop. Do I need to do anything else other than clean him up. He is booked into the vets in the morning. Shall I keep syringing even though he is eating little bits? Thanks oh RU experts!

I would keep syringing the CC for today, maybe every 3-4 hours if he is now starting to nibble at food for himself. I would clean his bum up and if you can stomach it you could mix some cecotrophs into his CC feed xx

I would keep syringing the CC for today, maybe every 3-4 hours if he is now starting to nibble at food for himself. I would clean his bum up and if you can stomach it you could mix some cecotrophs into his CC feed xx

Thank you, I can stomach it, anything for young Archie :love:

Back