• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

any advice on dirty bottom mini lop

Isabella my 2 year old mini lop appears to have trouble keeping her bottom clean. She has been to vet on many occasions who thinks that because she has a particularly snubbed nose she is unable to reach to clean properly. I have noticed that there are often uneaten ceceaum poos in her hutch. Does anyone have any ideas??

Isabella my 2 year old mini lop appears to have trouble keeping her bottom clean. She has been to vet on many occasions who thinks that because she has a particularly snubbed nose she is unable to reach to clean properly. I have noticed that there are often uneaten ceceaum poos in her hutch. Does anyone have any ideas??

Can you describe what you feed her in detail? and does she have any health issues such as dental disease or spinal/gait problems? :wave:

She has grass in the morning first thing. She then can graze during the day in the garden. Hay available at all times. tea time is a handfull of mixed bunny feed with brocolli - have found that other vegetables/herbs can make bottom loose. Surprisingly she has no dental problems. Her litter tray always has large formed normal droppings which always surprises me considering how messy her bottom can become.

She has grass in the morning first thing. She then can graze during the day in the garden. Hay available at all times. tea time is a handfull of mixed bunny feed with brocolli - have found that other vegetables/herbs can make bottom loose. Surprisingly she has no dental problems. Her litter tray always has large formed normal droppings which always surprises me considering how messy her bottom can become.

How large a handful? Have you considered switching to a high fibre pellet instead? They tend to be far less starchy - often the main cause of caecal dysbiosis. A high fibre pellet would be something like Science Selective or Allen and Page or Oxbow Bunny Basics - the extruded pellets are generally considered a better feed than the mix and most buns ONLY need an eggcup full once per day. However, any dietary changes must be made very gradually over several weeks.

Some rabbits can not tolerate rabbit food at all and do much better on a hay/veg only diet (grass and weeds included of course). Brassicas - such as brocoli are renound for causing caecal upset also. If it were my bun I would consider trying an alternative feed, cutting down the portion and upping the hay and more astringent wild greens such as dandelions, plantains, safe tree leaves and weeds and steer away from the commercial veg with a bun with a sensitive caecum. Establishing caecal flora balance can take many months so you may not see an immediate improvement.
This is an excellent article:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3012&S=1&SourceID=43 :wave:

This might help for the plants:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm - safe herbs and plants at bottom.

There are lots of threads in the diet section on what is safe from the wild to feed, and a current thread in rabbit chat called 'drying herbs for winter' although all can be fed fresh equally.

Easy ones to remember are:
Apple tree leaves and branches
Pear tree leaves and branches
Hazel " " "
Hawthorn " " "
Willow " " "

and then easy weeds are:
dandelions,
plantains - ribwort and greater
groundsel
shepherd's purse
mallow
sow thistle/milk thistle
clover
nipplewort
chickweed
wild strawberry, cultivated strawberry, raspberry, blackberry leaves etc.
jerusalem artichoke leaves

That should keep you going :wave: Just remember one new thing at a time and gentle introduction with small amounts first. I would also just go hay and grass only for a few days - week until her excess caecotrophs settle down, and the reintroduce the greens.

Back