• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Making Plans for Sukie's Spay

SkegMag

Warren Scout
Sukie's booked in for her spay in two weeks time, and I need to start planning for it. As she's my first-ever and only bunny, I would welcome any tips/advice anyone may have.
I've been trying to read up on it but there're lots of questions still running through my mind, practical things like what type of bedding, etc, but most worrying of all - how on EARTH am I going give her painkillers if she needs them? Are they in tablet form?
I just KNOW I'm gonna be a nervous wreck!

I know spays are horrible:shock: But so worth it in the end:D

First off and most importantly, have you a very rabbit savvy vet? If so then they can help you through it.

For your questions...

Pain killers: Metacam. It comes in a liquid form and most buns love the taste of it. (All my 4 do.) You pull it up into a syringe and if she wont take it you just pock it into the side of her mouth. Hopefully she will love it and you will feel really guilty when she comes hoping up to you for more when she is all better:lol:

Bedding: I used vet bed, which is like fleece, on top of news paper. For the first few days I cut the hay up into a bowl so it doesn't get in the way of the stitches.

Good luck:wave:

I know how you feel, Milly was spayed about 3 weeks ago now and I was so stressed! I found it helpful rung through the procedure with my vet, they were very rabbit savvy and that out me at ease. They gave Milly a long lasting pain killer,48 hours I think, but might be best checking with your vet as to what they offer.

Milly came inside for a few days too so we could keep an eye on her and check her stitches. She was drinking and eating normally within a day which was a big relief!

I'm sure your bun will be fine, it can be a bit upsetting seeing them in pain but it's in their best interests and she'll be bouncing around in no time!

:)

Last edited:
Thank you both. Is it a good idea to change her cage/things around and add vet bed a couple of days before the op so it's not totally alien to her when she comes home, do you think? As she's in a two-tier cage, I'll be taking the top tier off for the duration.
It's good news re the metacam - used to have a real hard time getting medication down my doggie lol!

Well, I've got some vetbed, but I was wondering if there's anything suitable that's more absorbent than newspaper for her toilet area? (she normally has wood shavings).
Also, I've read elsewhere on this forum that it's a good idea to get bunnies used to syringes BEFORE the critical time, by giving them some eg apple juice in one. Would this be the ordinary apple juice one buys in a carton from supermarkets?
Thank you - sorry to be a pain! :oops:

Back