• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neautering question

Pandora7

Warren Scout
I am booking Pandora into get neautered asap.

Once she has had the operation will she be ok in the hutch with Leo or am I better bringing the run into the kitchen and setting it up in there for a few days?

I would bring her inside as they can struggle to keep their temperature up after an anaesthetic. Also, I'd keep them separate for at least two weeks because if he humps her or is rough with her he could cause an internal injury. Rabbits can sense weakness in other buns and will even bully their husbun/wife if they can tell they're under the weather :wave:

If you can restrict her exercise for a few days that would be good as well :) good luck!

When you take your rabbit to the vets, please take their partner with them. The vets should put them back together as soon as the one being neutered has woken up from the anaesthetic.

When you bring them home, make a smallish area indoors and keep them together. You will find that the rabbit having the operation will recover quicker and be less likely to have complications such as stasis after the surgery.

Only separate them if your male starts persistently humping her.

If your vet will not let you take your rabbits together to the vets, please look at changing vets to a more rabbit savvy vet. By separating them they take longer to recover and will be more stressed than if left together.

Most rescues do this without any problems and have fewer problems following vet visits and surgery.

I didn't realise this sorry :wave: I've always been advised that they'd need separating. But janice-arc has way more experience with bunnies than me so I'd take her advice over mine!

Would never seperate them every time she has been to the vet he has been with her.
In the house for a couple of days then outside? Don't want to keep them in to long as they are outdoor rabbits, coming in the house is a treat.

Back