• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thick white discarge from eye

Belgian hare boy

Warren Scout
My netherland dwarf X has some times a bit of white discharge from his eye a drop or 2 and it clears up but went to him today and the eye was like a mass of thick white discharge I have cleaned it up and give him eye drops but his eye is red and sore and he will not open it , every thing else is ok with him any idears plz

Hi and welcome.

My bunny Starbuck has had a white discharge before but it has never gone red and inflamed. I would suggest a trip asap to the vets as it sounds like it is painful and may well be infected.

Has he had his myxi vaccinations regularly?

Hi and welcome.

My bunny Starbuck has had a white discharge before but it has never gone red and inflamed. I would suggest a trip asap to the vets as it sounds like it is painful and may well be infected.

Has he had his myxi vaccinations regularly?
thanks it's not maxi but I will take him to vets I do not do maxi vaccination as I did it for the first time some years ago after talking to my vet I did it on all my continental giants and. They all got maxi and died I use beaphar Anti-Parasite spot on

thanks it's not maxi but I will take him to vets I do not do maxi vaccination as I did it for the first time some years ago after talking to my vet I did it on all my continental giants and. They all got maxi and died I use beaphar Anti-Parasite spot on

:wave: Helen is right, you need to take your rabbit to the vet - the teeth need to be checked and you will probably be prescribed fucilthalmic eye ointment if the teeth are OK- what drops do you have? To my knowledge mosquito's are not parasites so using the Beaphar Anti Parasite spot on won't protect your rabbits from Myximatosis. How many buns do you have Belgian Hare Boy?

:wave: Helen is right, you need to take your rabbit to the vet - the teeth need to be checked and you will probably be prescribed fucilthalmic eye ointment if the teeth are OK- what drops do you have? To my knowledge mosquito's are not parasites so using the Beaphar Anti Parasite spot on won't protect your rabbits from Myximatosis. How many buns do you have Belgian Hare Boy?
I am going to take him to vets , the eye drops are chloramphenicol my other half get them from her hospital she works at it's the same as the vets use,I would have thought Mosquitos where parasites but I could be wrong but it stops fleas which can carry maxi as far I know , I have 9 rabbits 1x Dutch 3x mini Rex 3x Belgian hares 1x Dutch X netherland dwarf and 1x nether land dwarf X . I really do not know why after being vac for maxi my rabbits all got maxi and my vet does not aswell but it really has put me off doing it again

I can really understand why it would put you off, thats so very sad :cry:

My understanding (tho this may not be right) is that the myxi vaccination doesnt necessarily prevent them from catching myxi altogether but should prevent bunnies getting it too severely and enable them to be treated. I am sure someone else can explain this much better than I can or correct me. It has to be repeated every 6-12 months (I always do mine 6 monthly).

I am going to take him to vets , the eye drops are chloramphenicol my other half get them from her hospital she works at it's the same as the vets use,I would have thought Mosquitos where parasites but I could be wrong but it stops fleas which can carry maxi as far I know , I have 9 rabbits 1x Dutch 3x mini Rex 3x Belgian hares 1x Dutch X netherland dwarf and 1x nether land dwarf X . I really do not know why after being vac for maxi my rabbits all got maxi and my vet does not aswell but it really has put me off doing it again

I really wouldn't recommend using any medication that is prescription on your buns without the permission of the vet. I'm not aware of the drops you mention so can't say whether that is correct or not.

A parasite either lives inside another organism (for example, a tapeworm, or some kinds of bacteria) or it makes its permanent home on the outside of another organism (such as ticks, or lice). The mosquito just drinks blood and leaves; this is a form of predation rather than parasitism.

How many rabbits did you have vaccinated for Myxi that then went on to contract it? How long after the vaccination did infection appear? P/s don't mean to sound rude but, is there a reason why you keep referring to it as Maxi rather than Myxi?

I can really understand why it would put you off, thats so very sad :cry:

My understanding (tho this may not be right) is that the myxi vaccination doesnt necessarily prevent them from catching myxi altogether but should prevent bunnies getting it too severely and enable them to be treated. I am sure someone else can explain this much better than I can or correct me. It has to be repeated every 6-12 months (I always do mine 6 monthly).

Sorry but you can not under stand why I am put off well my dad breed rabbits for years with no vacs no problem I keeped rabbits for years no vacs no problem soon as I did vacs all the rabbits died you understand where I am coming from also my rabbit where treated after getting myxi but still died so what was the point if only I could get my hands on the man that invented myxi and put him thought what my rabbits went thought

Sorry but you can not under stand why I am put off well my dad breed rabbits for years with no vacs no problem I keeped rabbits for years no vacs no problem soon as I did vacs all the rabbits died you understand where I am coming from also my rabbit where treated after getting myxi but still died so what was the point if only I could get my hands on the man that invented myxi and put him thought what my rabbits went thought

I think we all feel sad/angry about the fact that Myxi was infact a man-made virus introduced to control the wild rabbit population, however your post here is a bit silly, the reason the virus is being controlled now is because the 'wild' population are apparently starting to develop a sort of immunity and pass that on to offspring, the domestic population are being vaccinated more so the risk of infected blood being drunk by 'insects/parasites' is reduced.

I think the reason you don't vaccinate is more likely to be because you are a breeder, very few do vaccinate because of the cost.

Do you check your rabbits teeth yourself? :wave:

I really wouldn't recommend using any medication that is prescription on your buns without the permission of the vet. I'm not aware of the drops you mention so can't say whether that is correct or not.

A parasite either lives inside another organism (for example, a tapeworm, or some kinds of bacteria) or it makes its permanent home on the outside of another organism (such as ticks, or lice). The mosquito just drinks blood and leaves; this is a form of predation rather than parasitism.

How many rabbits did you have vaccinated for Myxi that then went on to contract it? How long after the vaccination did infection appear? P/s don't mean to sound rude but, is there a reason why you keep referring to it as Maxi rather than Myxi?
Lol well the maxi myxi is because my iPad keeps spell changing it sorry I had all my rabbits vacs done which was 4 I can not remember how long after vacs but it was not that long after if I know it worked I would have all my rabbits done tomorrow but I am to frighted to do it after what happened my rabbits mean the world to me and the cost is not a problem . I would love to breed a rabbit that is amone to myxi how great would that be

Lol well the maxi myxi is because my iPad keeps spell changing it sorry I had all my rabbits vacs done which was 4 I can not remember how long after vacs but it was not that long after if I know it worked I would have all my rabbits done tomorrow but I am to frighted to do it after what happened my rabbits mean the world to me and the cost is not a problem . I would love to breed a rabbit that is amone to myxi how great would that be

Did they all received a vaccine from the same batch number - it could have been a faulty batch perhaps, the reaction you describe as far as I am aware is unusual, of course it's highly contagious so one infected rabbit can infect the others anyway.

Myxomatosis wasn't "invented". It occurred naturally in rabbit in Uruguay. The virus was then deliberately introduced here and in Australia to control the wild population.
I'm not sure if the Beaphar stuff youre using, will have any effect on fleas, as it's Ivermectin, but if you aren't going to vaccinate, perhaps you could ask your vet to prescribe something that will control fleas.

I think we all feel sad/angry about the fact that Myxi was infact a man-made virus introduced to control the wild rabbit population, however your post here is a bit silly, the reason the virus is being controlled now is because the 'wild' population are apparently starting to develop a sort of immunity and pass that on to offspring, the domestic population are being vaccinated more so the risk of infected blood being drunk by 'insects/parasites' is reduced.

I think the reason you don't vaccinate is more likely to be because you are a breeder, very few do vaccinate because of the cost.

Do you check your rabbits teeth yourself? :wave:
Sorry
But wind your neck in I check all my rabbits teeth and just because I breed some times it does not make me a bad rabbit keeper cost is not a problem I just payed £600 on my dog for test ect I am on name terms with my vets and the eye drop are the same ones he uses I also use hibiscus scrub on any cuts on any of my anamals which comes from the vets so if you know the lot why did all my rabbits die then as my vet could not answer I have not been on here 24 hours and 2 people have had a dig at me with no reson friendly I think not

Did they all received a vaccine from the same batch number - it could have been a faulty batch perhaps, the reaction you describe as far as I am aware is unusual, of course it's highly contagious so one infected rabbit can infect the others anyway.
A rabbit can not infected a different rabbit with myxi unless a vampire rabbit

My rabbit has white eye discharge. He has overgrown tooth roots that have closed his tear ducts and as his eyes can't drain they sometimes get infected.

The vets can flush the tear duct. If it's successful it's probably not the teeth just an eye infection. Antibiotic eye drops or antibiotics should help. I'd ask the vet anyway to be on the safe side.

Myxomatosis wasn't "invented". It occurred naturally in rabbit in Uruguay. The virus was then deliberately introduced here and in Australia to control the wild population.
I'm not sure if the Beaphar stuff youre using, will have any effect on fleas, as it's Ivermectin, but if you aren't going to vaccinate, perhaps you could ask your vet to prescribe something that will control fleas.
I have the box infrount of me and it says it it effective against fleas so is it wrong then

My rabbit has white eye discharge. He has overgrown tooth roots that have closed his tear ducts and as his eyes can't drain they sometimes get infected.

The vets can flush the tear duct. If it's successful it's probably not the teeth just an eye infection. Antibiotic eye drops or antibiotics should help. I'd ask the vet anyway to be on the safe side.
Thanks I will do

I'm not sure that's true Mudgy:?

Whilst it was discovered in a laboratory the Myximatosis that was 'introduced' had been modified to my knowledge.
Myxomatosis was first recognized as a virus disease when it killed European rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) in Giuseppe Sanarelli's laboratory in Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1896.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-52031.html

i would suggest you take rabbit to the vet, they will probably perscribe antibiotic eye drops (I got Tiacil) to get rid of infection.
My bunny had infected eyes and has now lost his sight.

Back