• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Conflicting view- I don't agree with the vet!

Ambience

Warren Veteran
The last time i took my three girls in ama, lily and lucy - The vet said it could be pasturella, then the next time i took them he said they had nothing wrong with there eyes which i said were runny.

I know since then there eyes have been a little damp underneath- i can notice it, although perhaps someone who didn't know the buns like i do , wouldn't think anything of it.

I do trust my vets, but this just doesn't seem right. Surely if there is a small amount of tear residue around the eye. This is a sign there is something wrong at some level and it should be checked out, be it teeth or what have you.

If you were in the same position would you try an alternative vets? Or am i just worrying over nothing?

The vet also adviced that with my buns with eye problems, if they don't have really bad problems i shouldn't treat them as antibiotics are not good for them.

Thanks xxx

Are your rabbits all related? I know you have several with dental problems, so perhaps you could get some skull radiographs done on these three?

personally id get a second opinion i was adament there was something other than a tummy ache wrong with trev the vet said hed be fine and then he died of a fit so i was right and he was wrong i just wish that id got another opinion there could have been a different outcome if i had done. x

Are your rabbits all related? I know you have several with dental problems, so perhaps you could get some skull radiographs done on these three?

Not all of them no, some of them are though. I'll ask when patch goes in for general tommorow. Any idea of what the cost is for a skull radiograph? I know it will vary- but just as a guide?

thanks xx

personally id get a second opinion i was adament there was something other than a tummy ache wrong with trev the vet said hed be fine and then he died of a fit so i was right and he was wrong i just wish that id got another opinion there could have been a different outcome if i had done. x

Thanks, will do. I was really sorry to hear about trev xxx

Thanks, will do. I was really sorry to hear about trev xxx

Thank you. i feel like i keep going on about what happenend to him and like im boring evryone but i cant help it i miss him :cry:
hope that it turns out that your guys are ok x

The last time i took my three girls in ama, lily and lucy - The vet said it could be pasturella, then the next time i took them he said they had nothing wrong with there eyes which i said were runny.

I know since then there eyes have been a little damp underneath- i can notice it, although perhaps someone who didn't know the buns like i do , wouldn't think anything of it.

I do trust my vets, but this just doesn't seem right. Surely if there is a small amount of tear residue around the eye. This is a sign there is something wrong at some level and it should be checked out, be it teeth or what have you.

If you were in the same position would you try an alternative vets? Or am i just worrying over nothing?

The vet also adviced that with my buns with eye problems, if they don't have really bad problems i shouldn't treat them as antibiotics are not good for them.

Thanks xxx

Not necessarily. Yes whilst all major causative factors should be ruled out, some buns do just get a mildy weepy eye - it depends how bad it is really. Poppy gets mildly weepy eyes on and off. Her teeth are fine and she doesn't have snuffles, it is likely it is allergy related or she has slightly occluded nasolacrimal ducts for some reason not tooth related.

To be honest I personally think it depends a on a few different things, age of the rabbit, general circumstances (ie are they a bit rundown), pollen count, weather etc - teeth can contribute but, surely you'd see other signs other than 'moisture' round the eye area to the degree you describe, I always thought it would be significantly wet and there would be other symptoms if it's serious dental problems:?

Jingle had a milky liquid coming from his eyes when I adopted him and it was really quite bad, I thought he would have been a candidate seeing as he hadn't had hay really, sometimes I think but, mainly straw, within a couple of days of TLC, being clean (wiped with cooled boiled water on a cotton wool pad - clean pad each wipe) fucilthalmic eye ointment he was fine, Gizmo always had a really weepy eye after his spay, same again cleaned daily and dried - he was fine. I hope it's nothing serious for yours:wave:

Not all of them no, some of them are though. I'll ask when patch goes in for general tommorow. Any idea of what the cost is for a skull radiograph? I know it will vary- but just as a guide?

thanks xx

As this eye problem has gone on for well over a year, which must be costing a fortune in consult fees and medication costs, it would work out cheaper in the long run, to get some diagnostics done, whether it's C&S, or skull radiographs. At least then you'd have an answer, and be able to treat correctly.

As this eye problem has gone on for well over a year, which must be costing a fortune in consult fees and medication costs, it would work out cheaper in the long run, to get some diagnostics done, whether it's C&S, or skull radiographs. At least then you'd have an answer, and be able to treat correctly.

Yes I agree. Santa was a problem because the C&S always came back with nothing growing even though the pus was self-evident! So we spent a fortune on various antibiotics and repeat consultations over the years. If a swab had shown something and what it was sensitive to, that could be reduced to one type of antibiotic and a repeat prescription.

Santa's x-rays were £60 for the first exposure and analysis, and £20 for every subsequent exposure (she had 2 in total). I had hers done during a routine dental along with c&s and cytology and the total bill came to £250.

Do any of these buns live together? If it's a minor problem due to a blockage, maybe due to tooth root penetration and they are currently single, you may find that bonding them 'solves' the problem. You can't un-block a permanently blocked tear duct, but a partner grooming the eyes can help to keep the fluid flowing and stop it from getting heavily infected.

Back