• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you stop bunnys chewing?

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
Both my boys have plenty of tasty wood chews, and lots of toys to play with, yet seem to be taking it in turns to destroy the hutch. Mainly at night time, which is why i've spent the last three nights unable to sleep because of chewing noises. I've tried clapping and stamping and saying no in a cross voice, none of which seem to make any effect :roll: Is there anything I can put on the hutch that will deter them from chewing? Obviously nothing that will harm them. I'm pretty sure I saw spray stuff in p@h last time I was there, but does anyone have experience of anything that actually works? If I don't sleep soon I think I may kill someone :lol::lol:

Unfortunately some bunnies just love to chew their home!

Can you put batons of wood in the hutch over the chewed areas so that they chew them instead of the hutch. They can then be replaced when needed.

Both my boys have plenty of tasty wood chews, and lots of toys to play with, yet seem to be taking it in turns to destroy the hutch. Mainly at night time, which is why i've spent the last three nights unable to sleep because of chewing noises. I've tried clapping and stamping and saying no in a cross voice, none of which seem to make any effect :roll: Is there anything I can put on the hutch that will deter them from chewing? Obviously nothing that will harm them. I'm pretty sure I saw spray stuff in p@h last time I was there, but does anyone have experience of anything that actually works? If I don't sleep soon I think I may kill someone :lol::lol:

Good Luck stopping them chewing :)

Some buns are more chewy than others, a dig box is often a good deterrent - get a box, full off hay/newspaper and it'll often keep them busy for ages :)

Also, loo rolls are very good for chewy bunnies - Biscuit will devour them - i have a couple of big ones ready for when i have both buns, from wrapping paper :) Stuff them with hay and a few pellets / treats and that'll keep them going for a while too :)

You don't. :lol:

I've found vinegar a good deterrent as I have a house bun who loves to chew. I just sponge it lightly onto things I don't want chewed, but don't know if it would work in your case as the hutch is their home.

I used the pets @ home chew spray for a while years ago, before I gave in It had to be re-applied every few days, but seemed to work ok

Barring that, metal plates/mesh could be attached to the vulnerable areas?

You don't. :lol:

I've found vinegar a good deterrent as I have a house bun who loves to chew. I just sponge it lightly onto things I don't want chewed, but don't know if it would work in your case as the hutch is their home.

Normal vinegar or white vinegar? They aren't fussy, they'll give anything a good chew if it looks tasty :roll: including my trainers, my skirting boards, the carpet, and my brand new storage boxes!:evil: I'm most worried about the fact that the legs seem to be the yummiest bit, am worried it'll one day just collapse once they chew their way through!!

Normal vinegar or white vinegar? They aren't fussy, they'll give anything a good chew if it looks tasty :roll: including my trainers, my skirting boards, the carpet, and my brand new storage boxes!:evil: I'm most worried about the fact that the legs seem to be the yummiest bit, am worried it'll one day just collapse once they chew their way through!!

I would def "plate" the legs with metal then - or mesh in case they get too wet & rot

You could also fasten wood around it to protect the actual hutch itself

You may find also that they want something to chew which is fixed to the floor, so it doesn't shift about when they're having a good nibble. A heavy log is good for this or Oidhche loves to chew these as they're fairly heavy http://www.petsathome.com/shop/woodlands-small-pet-play-sticks-15931

They've got some of these, but slightly bigger so they can run through them. they gave them a little nibble at first, but went straight back to the hutch :roll: will try the p@h spray and vinegar. the chewing of the hutch seems to have stopped while they're both completely free range in my room, but then my stuff is vulnerable :lol: and I can have them free range while I sleep cos the jump on me :lol::lol:

White vinegar. I've tried the bitter spray from P&H and I swear Oidhche thought it was applied as a dressing :roll: Did nothing to deter her, it's very bitter but so are most of the veggies they eat.

Good Luck stopping them chewing :)

Some buns are more chewy than others, a dig box is often a good deterrent - get a box, full off hay/newspaper and it'll often keep them busy for ages :)

Also, loo rolls are very good for chewy bunnies - Biscuit will devour them - i have a couple of big ones ready for when i have both buns, from wrapping paper :) Stuff them with hay and a few pellets / treats and that'll keep them going for a while too :)

Fudge just eats her dig box. lol.
I have used the P@H pet deterrent spray - it does seem to put them off but only temporarily initially. After a while they figure out what they're not supposed to chew, but then just move onto something else. Still waiting for the day they run out of new things!

My buns have that wooden thing from P @ h...they chew it but not really...think they prefer to chew something that actually comes apart...like they can see the difference & can feel the wearing of the wood & their teeth.:roll::lol:

I use white vinigar to wipe the base of the hutch daily & also sponge it all over the chewed bits...they dont chew back straight away but move onto other areas...the inside is slowly becoming the outside!
I think if you have legs that are being chewed then wrap thick rope around them...they will like chewing that & it wont make the legs fall off. OR clad as suggested in metal on the corners - then find another place for them to have as a chew corner with the right type of hardness wood or rope or branches etc that they enjoy. OR clad with metal & then wrap rope around it.

A determined bunny is never stopped!:lol:
BUT the good thing is they are keeping their teeth down.

Toilet roll are great for them to keep entertained...but if they are big chewers & eaters...dont let the digest the rolls too much as it may cause blockage.

Mine sometime shred the cardboard box & happily munch away:roll:...i tend to pick up any bits they leave about so they are not tempted to eat it all!:roll:

You could also just screw in some lengths of wood to protect your hutch...then let them chew & just replace asneeded...thismay be a simpler option - they wont stop chewing if they want to chew...:lol:

I think if you have legs that are being chewed then wrap thick rope around them...they will like chewing that & it wont make the legs fall off.

I've started wrapping sissal rope around everything and it's working pretty well, by the time Oidhche gets to the thing under the rope she's no longer interested. Works well for sofa legs.

Fudge just eats her dig box. lol.
I have used the P@H pet deterrent spray - it does seem to put them off but only temporarily initially. After a while they figure out what they're not supposed to chew, but then just move onto something else. Still waiting for the day they run out of new things!

So did Biscuit, until i put a small cat litter tray in the bottom and lined that with news paper and covered with hay hay and more hay and a few scattered pellets in their to encourage foraging :) He sits in there for hours nomming his hay, but NEVER uses it as a litter tray, will get out and go to his litter tray on the other side of the pen if he needs the loo! :love: I think thats called 100% litter trained :)

Back