• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dark coloured wee

weedug

Mama Doe
I know feeding dandelions can cause dark coloured wee, but Honey's wee is really dark just now and she's not had any dandelions.

Any idea what else could cause it?

Not had any carrots for a few days. Maybe it's a delayed reaction :lol:

She's had some raspberry canes, spring greens, pak choi, hawthorn, apple leaves, and chicory over the last few days. I think that's all she's had anyway.

The only thing that is new is the hawthorn.

Any dark leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, carrots and I think maybe even Thyme has beta carotene in it.

I think I better cut it out as her wee looks awful!

I wouldn't worry to much if its just dark but if you feed a lot of it it might be wise to cut back a bit at Spinach is very high in calcium.

She's not had much of it, just a few pieces over the past couple of nights. It was so little I had forgotten I had given her it until you mentioned it :oops:.

It does coincide with the coloured wee though so I will cut it out and see if the wee goes back to normal.

Thanks for that!

sometimes its just dark.....like sometimes its cloudy......no reason or rhyme.

but yes carrots...dark veggies.....even whatevers in their pellets can do it.

the times i took bertie to the vet for it:oops::lol:

I stopped feeding Honey the spinach and her wee is now back to normal, thankfully!

She has had it plenty times in the past with no problems so don't know why this lot had such an effect on her.

Sukie's wee was red for a couple of days - I thought it was blood in the cage at first :shock: Then I realized it must have been some beetroot she had.

Back