• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why is it that buns........

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
youre trying to bond together just wont....and ones you think just tolerate being in the same area together decide to bond themselves with no probs:shock:

admitedly its been twice with a bereved bun..both times bertie was he other bunny.
since salem died..niki broke her foot..my sis in law died then finally having to try and save bif then have her pts...ive had to bring melrin downstairs to live.

we had an agreement...he was in his cage until bertie was asleep in the early evening..then wed open his door and pen off that end of the lounge so merlin could get onto both settees for hugs with us...and be seperate from bertie.
bertie did his usual thing and sleep up against the grids and have the odd scrap through them. then he decided if he slept there at the right time..melrin couldnt come out of his cage:shock:

they were still scraping..had to chase merlin away from bertie who was about to bite him big time as merlin had come face to face loose with bertie.

the other night as i said in the other post..bertie had a terible time and we were moved to tears..he tried to get zuzu kitty to cuddle up with him like her brother used to..but she wouldnt..he kept folowing her trying to get a wash too..she ran off. bertie was sooo dejected it was heartbreaking. he moped and laid down not wanting any contact..
meanwhile merlin was going ape to come out..so i let him out..he cleared the panels so i took em down....and just watched por bertie be too sad to want to have a go at him.

by the time a few hrs had passed we had non scrapping boys..no fur pulling at all.

its progressed to me leaving merlins cage door open with his stuf in it apart from his tray..and its not been slept in..hes been out 24.7 with bertie.

i caught them washing each others heads..then overnight last night..i caught them actuall up against each other asleep:love:

i dont know if its a case of grieving broken hearts keeping each other company for now..or whether its too lonely buns driven by grief have bonded themselves!!!:shock:

anyone else experienced this?

I guess I better reply otherwise I'll read and run. :lol:

Bunnies have their own agenda I guess.

Awwww, I think its just the buns to be honest, never can say who will like who... but having time to get used to each other has always helped me (well my buns)

They truly are funny creatures! My Bun Nushka has actually thrown herself at glass doors and tried to bite through to get to other buns..... yet given some time living 'next door' to Bungle she eventually calmed down enough for me to risk an intro..... they are loved up hooligans now!

Hope I have interpreted what you were saying correctly... but even so... there's nowt so queer as buns !!! x

Actually that's very true. It was how I was taught to bond chinchillas and I use it for rabbits now with great results. :)
Let them live near each other but with two sets of wire so they can't bite. Then swap and change toys and boxes etc.
Then swap the buns into each other's cages.
Then bond. :)
The whole process can take a month or two though.

Actually that's very true. It was how I was taught to bond chinchillas and I use it for rabbits now with great results. :)
Let them live near each other but with two sets of wire so they can't bite. Then swap and change toys and boxes etc.
Then swap the buns into each other's cages.
Then bond. :)
The whole process can take a month or two though.

Yep thats my preference too, although with Nushka it was a matter of thick cardboard between the wire runs for a week or two first as well!!
....she's a funny madam but i love her to bits !

I've never had experience with bonding. Sounds like the grieving buns found each other tho. Bless em!! :) xxx

Back