• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD jab - side effects?

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone

Oscar had his first VHD injection last night and today he seems really quiet and I am sure he's limping. I think I have seen posts previously about buns limping after VHD.

Has anyone had any experience of side effects of the VHD jab?

Thanks.

Oh dear another bun who has had a bad reaction.

I personally haven't had any problems with the limp but one of mine suffered hair loss and open wounds :evil:

Oh dear another bun who has had a bad reaction.

I personally haven't had any problems with the limp but one of mine suffered hair loss and open wounds :evil:

One of mine too. Other three were fine. I've been told that there are different types of VHD vaccines so perhapes try another one next time. I'm gonna talk to my vet about it next time Dazzle is due for hers.

One of mine too. Other three were fine. I've been told that there are different types of VHD vaccines so perhapes try another one next time. I'm gonna talk to my vet about it next time Dazzle is due for hers.

The other VHD Vaccine is called LAPINJECT

Yes, definitely will do next time. He just seems really subdued and not at all himself... how long do the side effects normally last? Thanks for that info Jane, I will definitely get them to make a note on his records...

Ok, thanks Jane. Should I be taking him back to the vet? I guess there isn't much they can do. He's eating, drinking and going to the toilet ok..

Ok, thanks Jane. Should I be taking him back to the vet? I guess there isn't much they can do. He's eating, drinking and going to the toilet ok..

As I said in my previous post, if he is still limping tomorrow then I'd request some Metacam for him :)

I have done your poll VickiP.

It's odd because I have two other buns and they have the cylap and don't have any side effects, although I do remember the first time Daisy had it she developed a slight limp.

I am definitely going to talk to my vet about his reaction

Thanks Jane, I have some Metacam here for one of the others so I will speak to my vet tomorrow to get the doseage for Oscar if he's still limping.

Last edited:
I have done your poll VickiP.

It's odd because I have two other buns and they have the cylap and don't have any side effects, although I do remember the first time Daisy had it she developed a slight limp.

I am definitely going to talk to my vet about his reaction

Gosh yes, this is my dilemma atm, my vets are prepared to get Lapinject for me, I just want to be sure I am doing the right thing as both of my two who had their VHD's last year were fine and I did observe them - I said to the vet that maybe people take them home and put them in a hutch so don't notice the side effects which is why they have never heard of any. Thankyou doing the poll :wave:

No problem, always pleased to take part in things if it helps others. It is difficult, I think you have to speak as you find to a certain extent - if yours have had cylap before and not had a problem then I am sure they will be fine. As I said, my Daisy and Bertie both have cylap and haven't had side effects..

No problem, always pleased to take part in things if it helps others. It is difficult, I think you have to speak as you find to a certain extent - if yours have had cylap before and not had a problem then I am sure they will be fine. As I said, my Daisy and Bertie both have cylap and haven't had side effects..

Yes but, I rescued a little rex who is 3+ and has never been vacc'd at all, he's myxi'd now but, has this one yet and because of the bits I've read and what I've been told I am nervous about it because he is older, he is very healthy as far as I am aware but, I want to minimise any possible discomfort for all my buns, my vets have been very good and understanding about it but, they are confused to a degree not having had any reported side effects at all - and they do treat a fair few buns. Thats why I thought the poll would be good, I'm not looking for side effects with Lapinject but, I just want to be sure which way I go is necessary.:wave:

I do totally understand what you are saying. Oscar is a bun that I rescued a month or so ago and he had his myxi and this was his first VHD jab. He's 4 and a half, I feel so bad that he's feeling poorly because of the injection so I will be speaking to my vet about getting the lapinject for him next year.

I think if your vets are being understanding I would go for the lapinject for the little rex if I were you. :)

Back