• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Californian or Himalain?

Patti001

New Kit
I am new to the site, hope to learn alot here!! How can I tell if my new rabbits are Californian or Himalain? I'd post a pic, just don't know how, I am new here.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

I think the difference between Californians and Himalayans is that Hims are more slender, I think Calis are more fluffy bunnies. It's hard to see from your photo as they're sitting bunched up but I'd guess Californians, possibly crossed with a dwarf as they don't have the typical pointy head of a Himalayan.

I notice that your buns are on a wire floor, this isn't good for their delicate feet and they would be much better off with a solid surface. If you're worried about cleaning them out rabbits can be trained very easily to use a litter tray. :)

I notice that your buns are on a wire floor, this isn't good for their delicate feet and they would be much better off with a solid surface.

The OP is in America. Sadly I think wire floors are pretty common place over there. Perhaps the OP could line it with a thin piece of wood or cardboard.

They look like Netherland Dwarfs (or nethie crosses) with Himi markings (dark points). They dont look big enough to be Californians and have Nethie sized ears.

My 2 favourite rabbits are Nethies and Californians, so they're beautiful to me, whatever they are. :)

The OP is in America. Sadly I think wire floors are pretty common place over there. Perhaps the OP could line it with a thin piece of wood or cardboard.

That's exactly what I was thinking. OP, I should have explained, the reason the wire is bad for them is because it puts too much pressure on certain points of their feet and can cause them to become raw and bleed. A layer of cardboard or a sheet of wood would solve the problem well :wave:

Thank you for all the responses! I am new with rabbits, thats one reason I joined this fourum, to learn and do what is best for my lovely bunnies! I just want to know what they are......:)

Thank you for all the responses! I am new with rabbits, thats one reason I joined this fourum, to learn and do what is best for my lovely bunnies! I just want to know what they are......:)

You will find lots of info on here :wave: I'd guess they're a cross of some description as they don't look like a true Californian, the ears are a little too short and they look quite small.

Back