• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the worst pet care advice you've ever been given?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Mine was from a bloke at work who had a rabbit when he was a kid ..... oooh about 119 yrs ago!

I was telling him about how Dizzi does the odd thump when she's in a strop or doesn't like something that's going on............. his advice was to hold her head and bop her on the nose!!!!! :shock: Yes, bop her on the nose!!! :shock: Apparently she won't ever thump again!!! :shock:

I told him there was no way I was going to 'bop' my rabbit - ever!!

So what unbelievably terrible advice have you been given about the care of your pets??

Jo x

Last edited:
"Will you have this rabbit, I don't want her any more, she's really cheap and easy to look after though and will use up all your kitchen scraps"

i don't think i have :shock:

Cat came from a cat rescue so their advice was spot on Plus my vets are great so give great advice.

Chippies i looked on the net for care advice and the lad at pets at home was really decent too.

Rabbits again i used the net (house rabbit society website) for the care advice when i first got Alvin as well as a different rabbit forum to here.

again, vets are great so havent dished out anything that would make me worry about their knowledge on animal care :D:D:D

The manager in the 'petcare' (sales) area at Scotsdales (a garden centre with rabbits) once told me that 'rabbits don't eat grass'.

Someone I worked with (an idiot) told me that rubbing a puppies nose in it's excrement is effective in 'house training' them, you can imagine my reply.

P@H

Last week: Buns should live alone as they fight
Last week: Panacur is the same as Bio lapis
Years ago: That's a girl. (Me: It's a boy)

P@H

Last week: Buns should live alone as they fight
Last week: Panacur is the same as Bio lapis
Years ago: That's a girl. (Me: It's a boy)

:shock: by a member of staff? How bizarre considering their basic training cover this and it's against company policy :?

iv also been given the
pick it uo by its ears
smack its bum if naughty :evil:
they can eat iceberg lettuce nothing else
rabbits hate company

Was once told by a couple who gave me their rabbit as they said it was a nasty little :censored: to whack it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper if it goes to bite me :shock:. I didn't say anything back as I just wanted to get the rabbit off them and go. :(

That rabbit turned out to be one of the best rabbits I have ever had in my life and he didn't have a nasty bone in his body and I still cry now when I think about him as I miss him so much. :(

Newly qualified vet:

'We don't recomend spaying females only the males'

Upon my complaint to the head vet

'Where did you get all that rubbish, it must of been some dodgey American Website.'

Then upon me telling her I was a member of the rabbit welfare association and my info was fully supported by them she actually contacted them to check I was telling the truth. :roll:

Needless to say I transfered all my pets sharpish.

Was once told by a couple who gave me their rabbit as they said it was a nasty little :censored: to whack it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper if it goes to bite me :shock:. I didn't say anything back as I just wanted to get the rabbit off them and go. :(

That rabbit turned out to be one of the best rabbits I have ever had in my life and he didn't have a nasty bone in his body and I still cry now when I think about him as I miss him so much. :(

Thats absolutley shocking :shock: xx

The breeder I rescued Buttons from told me the mite she had was just a skin ailment, as they were all treated for mites, and that I needed to put sunflower oil on it twice a week to make it go away,..... by this time, she had a huge red sore patch on the back of her neck, and hardly any fur on her ears :(

Wyevales garden centre, where I got Tinkerbell from.

"That's just a skin tag on her upper lip/nose"

It was Syphillis.

Back