• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arnie & Elly at the vets.

Elly my 12 year old now considers herself an expert on surgery.

I took Doodee to our vets for her myxi booster and Arnie for castration. My poor vet was expecting some trouble from Doodee as she likes to nail the vet if she can but then the Spanish inquistion started from Elly lurching on crutches who was not well enough to cope with school but obviously well enough to give the poor bloke the third degree.

She wanted to watch him do the op to make sure he did it right, that he did use anaesthisia and that he shaved him carefully, used pain relief and made sure he was somewhere warm and quite and started eating. Did he plan on using a drip if he went into shock and on and on she went to the point the poor bloke in total bewilderment ended up saying
'Look I promise you I have an animal hospital here. I am not going to take Arnie behind the door and use my teeth to bite his testicles off then just hand him back'.

There is me trying to keep a straight face telling my daughter she has to be a vet nurse or vet to help in operations, that I have bought our buns in for various ops here in the past and they have always looked after them. I even pointed out they have the Rabbit Rehome poster and info on rabbit care in the surgery and they do have a Bun savvy vet in the linked vet clinics they are part of.
She was not much better with them when I bought him home.

Arnie is now being told to be a good boy, stay on his nice vet bed, is being fed every bit of veg she can lay her hands on she knows he likes. Having a bit of fun persuading her that he needs three days indoors in the small cage to recover before he can go back in his hutch in the day. Poor Rabbit.

Vet was brilliant, he is willing to try and flex round hospital appointments for Elly and he knows the buns came from the RSPCA so for a myxi/VHD course for Doodee, VHD for Arnie to have once he has recovered, castration+ i.v drugs & metacam to go he only charged me £75.00. I think he may have only charged me for the drugs and vaccines this time.

Arnie is doing well but sitting with care and keeps looking at his stitches with a 'something is missing' look but is being a very good boy or a very sore boy and has decided not to worry at them. He will stay indoors on vet bed and Teasel is in the indoor cage beside him so they can see each and sniff noses. He coped with the aneasthetic and came round and plonked his head straight into the food bowl of SS at the vets.

If I have to take another bun in to be admitted for anything I may leave Elly at home.:lol:

Awwwh :love: So pleased Arnies castration went well. Would love to see some photos once hes feeling better, i bet he looks just like his mummy now!

Bless Elly :lol: xXx

Poor lad is looking a bit scruffy as he is part way through a moult, the new fur is honey tipped with brindle and he has dark tips to his ears.

Once I get the oncology appointment out the way I will get Tim to load some photos of them for you Becky.

Tell your mum Arnie is doing well after his op. He is fully awake, walking carefully around his cage and noshing for England today. He has finally worked out vetbed is nice to lie on when its sore. Silly boy spent yesterday trying to kick it into the corner as he prefers to borrow through piles of hay.

Making sure he has good pain relief too so he is looking a little laid back but comfy. I think I may be one of the few who use the practice that ask for post-op pain relief for buns. ;)

Back