• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help tips needed syringe feeding meds

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hello all,

Could anyone please give us some tips on the best way of holding a bunny for syringe feedling? We are trying to get Sprocket to take his meds but it isn't going very well. He's like a bucking bronco. :(

The good news is that his guts seem to be back to normal anyway now that he isn't getting any veggies. :D But vet said we need to keep giving him the antibiotics until the end of the week and a lot of it is ending up down his front! :roll:

Please help!

Also any advice for after this week to start reintroducing some veg/herbs etc into his diet would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jo

With my boys we have to wrap them in a towel to stop them kicking, then my mum will hold them which leaves my hands free for the syringe. They also know now that they get a treat straight afterwards, so they are less qriggly than they used to be :)

Good luck!

Depending on how 'calm' or happy they are actually being handled this can vary but usually one of us holds them belly up, in a nice cuddle position and the other one lifts their upper lip and pushes the syringe between the gap in their teeth and over the tongue. If the person doing the holding wears rubber gloves you get a better grip.
Hope this helps :wave:

Have you tried mixing it with juice? pineapple juice or something or dab the end in some jam
otherwise depends on how bad they are my oh pins the bun between his legs and crouches over to give meds, I put them over my shoulder and shove syringe in side of mouth or if we are both in hes does. Or tip on back with head up a little (so they dont choke) def need treat afterwards (you I mean):lol:

someone suggested to me that you can put it onto a small peice of biscuit. Not tried it myself coz not needed meds recently:) Hope this might be of help:wave:

I've been in tears many times because Charlie is one wriggly bunny when it comes to meds. I had my OH to help most of the time but I've finally found the best way to give meds by yourself (for me anyways, I hope this can help you too).

I sit with my knees up in front of me, pick Charlie up and put him so he's facing away from me with his front paws near my knees (wish I had a pic). Then I can lean forward (without squashing him...) with my arms either side of him to stop him escaping and put the syringe in the side of his mouth. I found he tries to pull away but if you can put your chest and knee quite close together (again, without squashing the bun :lol:) he can't move his head back very far and then just takes the meds.

I really hope this helps as I 100% know your pain :shock:

I live on my own and so when I have to medicate buns I have to do it single handedly, which is never easy. A vet did once show me a way of doing it by putting the bun on a table in front of me and kind of pinning the bun with his back against my (ample) boobs. It wouldn't work with someone who isn't well endowed but it worked for her when she showed me and I found it easier this way too.

The bun was in between each boob :oops: - mmm - odd sentence that one!! - which acted as a kind of anchor.

I'm probably not explaining very well, but it did work:)

I live on my own and so when I have to medicate buns I have to do it single handedly, which is never easy. A vet did once show me a way of doing it by putting the bun on a table in front of me and kind of pinning the bun with his back against my (ample) boobs. It wouldn't work with someone who isn't well endowed but it worked for her when she showed me and I found it easier this way too.

The bun was in between each boob :oops: - mmm - odd sentence that one!! - which acted as a kind of anchor.

I'm probably not explaining very well, but it did work:)

That made me laugh out loud :lol::lol::lol:

Not sure my boobs are big enough tho :lol::oops:

I don't think I'm well endowed enough to wedge Pye in my bosom :oops: but Ido plonk him on the kitchen bench and have his bum wedged against me and have one arm round him while I medicate with the other, this has taken months, oh no actually, make that a couple of years to perfect! Started off with him on my knee when I first started having to do meds but had to change as he'd either spit the stuff all over me or purposely wee on me :roll: Give them all a go, eventually you'll find a technique that's easiest for you, good luck!

I try to feed my meds on food but I guess you'll have to be careful if it's gut problems. :?

I give Grim his on bread but bread isn't really good for buns. Perhaps you can find something? Otherwise I kneel down on the floor and cross my feet at the back. I have Grim with his bum on my feet and I lean right over him. He still struggles though but he can get out of towels and bunny burritos. He has ridiculously long legs and can lever himself out of most places. Oh to have a small bunny. :lol:

Back