• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal Lovers- Do you own your house or rent?

Do you own or rent?

• I own my property- couldn't have it any other way with all the pets i have.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • I rent- i move my pets around with me where-ever i go.(Discuss)

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Alot of people on the forum rent with multiple pets.

I'm doing a poll on how successfully people manage to rent with pets.

Please post how many pets you have in rented accomadation and what types.

Any issues with landlords etc- the pitfalls and the benifits of renting with animals.

How are your pets effected with moving etc- do they get stress and so on.

Thanks xxxx

p.s I put i rent- I did own, but am now renting. I did like the freedom to do what i wanted when i owned. Renting hasn't posed that much of a problem for me as my landlords have been quite flexible with me having animals. Although people think so many animals is quite odd. Most landlords are willing to negotiate pets even if it means cleaning carpets on leaving the tenancy. My cat was effected by the stress of moving house, so i'm not sure what she will be like when we move again. She started pulling her fur out. Other than that it's been quite successfully. I have 18 pets- 3 cats, 14 buns and 1 hamster.

Last edited:
I rent with a housing association.There has been complaints about cats...doing things in gardens so we all got letters asking us about our cats and saying that when they have gone to the bridge we arent allowed to replace them.Its one cat or one dog.
I think its ok with caged animals...just the ones who poop in places.

Well my house is owned, but not by me, by my parents. As I am 22, they let me live here rent free :love: lovely parents! Honestly, I can't see me ever moving out, I have too much baggage in the form of 12 critters!

We live in my dads house, he lives in germany. He's retiring in seven years ish and is ok with the house buns and cats. However he doesn't know his bedroom / the spare room is our bonding and new house bun training room lol we manage to cover the stubborn wee stains with rugs :) problem being wen he comes to stay our house buns have less freedom, as they don't like his voice or his smell they refuse to go downstairs when all the doors are open at play time. I dread to think who would rent us their property with a 10 x 5 x 10 foot play house and 9 x 6 x 6 run attached and 8 buns 3 gpigs and 2 cats in tow lol

I have voted for both, we have our own house now (4yrs), but have had house buns for the 13yrs Rich and i have been together.

Renting has been stressful as we have never had permission for the buns to be there, we have had to put them in the car (in their carry cases) for the hr the viewing was booked.

One house we rented (when we didnt have a car) had a walk in wardrobe in the bedroom (like the one off halloween:shock:) but Elvis n Molly made it their home, i used to wet my hair in the shower, sit in a chair next to the wardrobe (with Elvis n Molly in it), in a towel and the tv turned up more than loud. People would walk into the room, id say Hiya, they would have a quick glance, look :oops: and walk out again.

There is so many more:lol::lol:

Rich and i often laugh about the exteme circumstances we went to to keep our buns. But we never got caught out;)

A bit of feedback 'from the other side' - I'm a landlord (well - landLADY lol), and I've no problem at all with the tenants having pets! There could, I suppose, be issues with the animals annoying neighbours, resulting in the landlord having to deal with complaints (surely not applicable with rabbits!!), or issues with the spoiling of decor - in which case the bond would cover it, would it not? :)

I rent with 1 dog and 4 buns, I have just moved my previous landlord allowed animals but we have to pay damages - which there is quite a lot with a puppy and 2 house buns at the time!! :oops: but we know we have to pay it.

The landlord we are with now is fab and said we can have any animals we like and do what we like! :D

I did find though when I was looking that there are LOADS of rentals that says NO pets - it was soo difficult to find somewhere that allowed pets. I think eventually I would have had to lie or I was considering fostering the buns until i could find somehwere that could accept them :(

We have only had the buns for a year now so haven't had the issue of moving with them... TBH we'll prob stay in this place til we can buy so hopefully it won't be an issue.
Landlord doesn't exactly know about the two either :oops::lol:

I rent and I told them I had an outside bun and two chinchillas (which I did at the time). My chinchillas had babies and now I have four...

Anyway when Grim was ill last year I asked them if I could move him inside for the winter and they were more than happy and always ask how he is. My house is very old and lots of things aren't perfect anyway. The only thing I'm really worried about for when/if I move out is that the chinchillas have chewed my bedroom wall and skirting boards...

When I was a student I brought my bun Neelix and my hamster Nerys with me, but then I moved in with Ian to another rental and we couldn't keep them. So I had to rehome Neelix to a friend of my mums who lives locally (it was going to be tempoarary but Rod loved him so much we decided it was best for him to keep Neelix). Nerys stayed with one of my housemates. I still got to see Neelix who was later renamed Felix and he had a shed and free range of the garden which is more than I could give him at the time. When we moved again to another rental we were able to get a gecko but no buns. Finally we bought our house and now have bunnies once again. :D

i rent but have the best landlord ever.he always gives me a bale of his best hay for the rabbits.he was the one that suggested i got chickens.he said i can have what i want but not a cow :lol:

I rent. Didnt have any pets when we moved here. My landlady is lovely and i called her, asked if she minded if we had pets, her words were;

"No, it's fine, you can have pets, i dont mind at all - i'll even come and look after them for you when you go away if you like - aslong as the house is the same when you leave as it was when you moved in, you can do as you please"

Thats a really nice approach to being a landlady, one i think i'm going to struggle with when i want to move in the new year :( Need to have pets, as i'll have two housebuns by then!:wave:

we rent, landlord on the new house werent too keen as he was worried about damage with a dog, chippies and rabbits but he wanted longterm tenants and as long as we dont leave damage when we go all are happy :D:D great references help alot too :lol::lol:

this house we got permission for the dog when we moved in, added the chippies and sort of didnt say but the letting agents werent fussed.. i thought telling them about the rabbits addition was pushing it so they go to my moms on inspection day :oops:

its not stressful because i dont mind sheets pinned to the walls to protect them and i love having house buns, im not keen on the bunny clean up every few months but it is good to clean where i cant usually reach and its my own fault for being a wuss and not fessing up anyhows :lol::lol:

I rent. We have 2 dogs, 5 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits. All animals are meant to be outdoors and they don't know the rabbits exist :oops: To be honest, although we don't quite tell the truth - the house is kept tidy and we are happy to pay for ALL damages that may arise due to keep them indoors.

The dogs have access to both indoors and outdoors but sleep indoors at night. They are never permanently shut outdoors. On inspection day, I take them out the back and pop their leashes on. I then sit and have a cuppa, and hold onto the dogs leashes while they do the inspection.

We have a large cage for the guinea pigs and the buns. The buns use the bottom level as their home base, and otherwise have free range of my room. The guinea pigs have the top two levels. The cage is on a wooden base with wheels so can be easily transferred out onto the patio on the morning of an inspection. As soon as the inspection is over, I wheel it back in again.

The buns have to go off to boarding the night before. It is easier this way as we can then pack up all of their stuff and pretend the bottom level of the cage is used as storage. They come home in the afternoon after the inspection.

I hate renting. I hate inspections as I feel like they are an invasion of our privacy though I understand why they have to do them. We would love a house of our own again - as you can do whatever you want to it and don't have all of these restrictions. Our plan is to buy sometime next year, with an additional room for the guinea pigs and buns.

I own my house (well the mortgage company do!)

I think I'd struggle to find anywhere to rent with 24 (very soon to be 25) rabbits...mainly because I need to be in Nottingham city, and rent on a house with a garden large enough in the city would be too high for me to pay on my income.

We have bought our house, but before this we had a flat which we bought, but had to pay land rent. No-one knew about the five piggies, one rabbit and four gerbils that our flat contained as we moved them to my parents before anyone came to look at the flat as I didn't want people traipsing past them and petting them! :oops:

i rent off a housing association i have my rabbits in a shed a one cat and
guinea pigs inside i was told i could have a dog and the guy nos i have
a cat

When I was at uni we were allowed pets no problems as long as you had the carpets professionally cleaned and de-flead when you leave.

I now have mice, gerbils, rabbits and chickens (and soon a dog) but I rent the flat from my dad so it's no problem. As long as everything is left how it was when we got here he doesn't have an issue.

Friends of mine have found offering to clean/deflea carpets, a letter from an old landlord saying how your pets were no problem and putting down a higher deposit will swing landlords in to letting you have pets.

Back