• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bleeding hocks - U/D 22/09

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
Went to clip Oidhche's nails today and she has an inflamed patch on her foot, and it's bleeding very slightly. She has good fur on the rest of her feet apart from the standard callouses at the back, this sore patch is oddly right in the middle of one foot. Her nails are kept short and she is on padded lino with fleece.

Is there anything I can do until we can get to the vets tomorrow? Is there any point in padding the foot out with plain dressings, I'm thinking to keep infection out as the skin is broken. I feel awful that I've never noticed it, the fur covers it over. The raised patch is about the size of a kidney bean, slightly bigger where it evens out.

Last edited:
As ever I do not have a clue, but I wanted to send some happy, waggly footsies vibes to my favorite destructo bunneh.

xx

I would just bathe it with a very mild saline solution. I would not put a dressing on it tonight but try to insure that she remains on as clean substrate as possible. If your Vet has supplied you with some Metacam to use at home in this sort of situation I would give her a dose of it.

Sending vibes for her xx

I would just bathe it with a very mild saline solution. I would not put a dressing on it tonight but try to insure that she remains on as clean substrate as possible. If your Vet has supplied you with some Metacam to use at home in this sort of situation I would give her a dose of it.

Sending vibes for her xx

Thanks Jane, I do have some metacam. I'm assuming vet will give her antibiotics, I'm just worrying about the risk of infection. I'll keep her confined to the one room for tonight so I know what she's stepping in!

As ever I do not have a clue, but I wanted to send some happy, waggly footsies vibes to my favorite destructo bunneh.

'O' - Fank oo hoomin, ah iz still chewin everyfin in sight don't you worries. :D

There's one on her front foot on the other side, with a scab on. How the hell did I miss this, I'm a rotten bunny mummy. :(

There's one on her front foot on the other side, with a scab on. How the hell did I miss this, I'm a rotten bunny mummy. :(

Sssshh you! Crazy lady!! You are a brilliant bunny mummy, especially seeing as your bunny is such a hooligan :p:lol:

Bunny feet are super furry and you've had such a lot on your plate lately, it's not at all surpirsing you didn't spot the problem a little sooner. I clipped Thistle's claws today and realised he's missing two, he just has stumps. It looks like they've snapped and healed up again and I never noticed that. I think if my own feet were furry (heaven forbid! :lol:) I wouldn't notice if those were not quite right either!

Some problems just aren't obvious and can easily be missed.

:wave:

I feel even more rotten that you're trying to cheer me up seeing as Cloud's so poorly. Maybe Thistle just had an over-enthusiastic binky :lol:

I blame the NHS. Blooming hospitals.:p

Is there anything specific I can say to the vet today (looking for Jane again) because he is fairly bunny-savvy but I have no idea what he knows about feet, is there anything I should be requesting?

Heading to the vets at 2.50, is there anything we should be asking/requesting?

Are the sore areas on her back feet/hocks or her front feet ?

I'd want the Vet to check for signs of active infection and if present to prescribe a course of systemic abx.

I'd also want Vet to check for any mobility/skeletal issues that might account for the sores.

Obviously ongoing anti-inflammatory analgesia is necessary.

I would not be happy if Vet prescribed a topical preparation containing a steroid- eg Fuciderm.

A general health check, including weight, would be a good idea

Good luck xx

Are the sore areas on her back feet/hocks or her front feet ?

I'd want the Vet to check for signs of active infection and if present to prescribe a course of systemic abx.

I'd also want Vet to check for any mobility/skeletal issues that might account for the sores.

Obviously ongoing anti-inflammatory analgesia is necessary.

I would not be happy if Vet prescribed a topical preparation containing a steroid- eg Fuciderm.

A general health check, including weight, would be a good idea

Good luck xx

Thanks Jane...guess what he has prescribed...Fuciderm. Why would you not be happy with it? We also have baytril and metacam. He asked about her flooring and did a general health check and all is fine, it's looking like typical Rex hocks :(

The sores are on her back right foot and front left, but only the back foot is exuding pus which is what the baytril is for. The front is just tender. She's 3.4kg which he said was fine.

Last edited:
Thanks Jane...guess what he has prescribed...Fuciderm. Why would you not be happy with it? We also have baytril and metacam. He asked about her flooring and did a general health check and all is fine, it's looking like typical Rex hocks :(

The sores are on her back right foot and front left, but only the back foot is exuding pus which is what the baytril is for. The front is just tender. She's 3.4kg which he said was fine.

Probably because it is a corticosteroid that 'thins' the skin as a side-effect and this is the last thing you need. Corticosteroids do have wonderful anti-inflammatory properties but the skin thinning and liability to fracture would be a concern. Buns are also more susceptible to the other immuno-suppressive side-effects of steroids than other species but in a topical preparation I would be less concerned about this personally. Jane may feel differently.

Because in my experience it makes Rex hocks worse rather than better.
If a topical treatment is to be used then I have found Flammazine to be much more effective.

This is just my personal experience with 20+ Rex hock issues, I am not suggesting you go against the advice of the Vet treating your Bun :)

Probably because it is a corticosteroid that 'thins' the skin as a side-effect and this is the last thing you need. Corticosteroids do have wonderful anti-inflammatory properties but the skin thinning and liability to fracture would be a concern. Buns are also more susceptible to the other immuno-suppressive side-effects of steroids than other species but in a topical preparation I would be less concerned about this personally. Jane may feel differently.

Because in my experience it makes Rex hocks worse rather than better.
If a topical treatment is to be used then I have found Flammazine to be much more effective.

This is just my personal experience with 20+ Rex hock issues, I am not suggesting you go against the advice of the Vet treating your Bun :)

Thank you both. I had a read of the leaflet inside the box and sure enough, thinning of the skin is a side effect. The hock is quite pussy and he wanted to attack the infection from inside and out. He said to use the fuciderm and baytril for a couple of days and there should be some marked improvement, if not to bring her back, so I'll follow this and if there isn't any in a couple of days will go back. They've started bleeding all over the floor again poor love.

Is is 0.05 ml in a single drop of metacam? I've stupidly thrown away the box with the dosage instructions in drops on it but I know it was every 12 hours. I've calculated that if the dosage is 0.2mg/kg (that's right for rabbits isn't it? In 24 hours?) she should be getting 12 drops over 24 hours? It seems a bit high but the last bun I had on it was Vin who was a teeny 1.5kg towards the end. Please could someone check my calculations. I would phone the vet but the out-of-ours vet refuses to give advice unless you bring them in for a consultation. :roll:

I've calculated that if the dosage is 0.2mg/kg (that's right for rabbits isn't it? In 24 hours?) she should be getting 12 drops over 24 hours? It seems a bit high but the last bun I had on it was Vin who was a teeny 1.5kg towards the end. Please could someone check my calculations. I would phone the vet but the out-of-ours vet refuses to give advice unless you bring them in for a consultation. :roll:

It's 0.2mg/kg up to 0.6mg/kg for rabbits depending on how the drug is being used. I would expect a slightly higher dose initially and then tailored down to a maintenance dose, but the dose you have been told does seem rather low to me. :? But you need to follow the advice of your vet or question them about it directly.

The mls you give will depend on the strength of the syrup you are using. Dog metacam is 1.5 so 0.6mg = 0.4ml/kg - that's the max dose.
Nino has daily metacam for his arthritis at 0.3ml and he is a 1.5kg bunny, this is the lower end of the spectrum as it is a maintenance dose. For acute bloat he would have an awful lot more, up to 0.8ml and even 1ml if it is really bad. :):wave:

Last edited:
It's 0.2mg/kg up to 0.6mg/kg for rabbits depending on how the drug is being used. I would expect a slightly higher dose initially and then tailored down to a maintenance dose, but the dose you have been told does seem rather low to me. :? But you need to follow the advice of your vet or question them about it directly.

The mls you give will depend on the strength of the syrup you are using. Dog metacam is 1.5 so 0.6mg = 0.4ml/kg - that's the max dose.
Nino has daily metacam for his arthritis at 0.3ml and he is a 1.5kg bunny, this is the lower end of the spectrum as it is a maintenance dose. For acute bloat he would have an awful lot more, up to 0.8ml and even 1ml if it is really bad. :):wave:

Thanks, the dosage was on the box I've thrown away so I have no idea, I got the 0.2ml/kg from here as I've seen it mentioned on a past thread. I can't ring the vets because the stupid emergency vet won't tell me anything and I'd like to give her some pain relief, I waited until the evening so she could have all her meds at once and get the stress over and done with.

It is dog metacam we have. So ideally I should be giving her 0.2-0.6mg/kg per 24hrs for the first lot as a higher dosage and then decrease it to whatever the vet says tomorrow. So if I was giving her the highest dose initially it would be 1.2ml (3 x 0.4ml) split over two doses? I'm rounding her weight down to 3kg because I can always give her more but not less.

I can't do maths to save myself :oops:

Thanks, the dosage was on the box I've thrown away so I have no idea, I got the 0.2ml/kg from here as I've seen it mentioned on a past thread. I can't ring the vets because the stupid emergency vet won't tell me anything and I'd like to give her some pain relief, I waited until the evening so she could have all her meds at once and get the stress over and done with.

It is dog metacam we have. So ideally I should be giving her 0.2-0.6mg/kg per 24hrs for the first lot as a higher dosage and then decrease it to whatever the vet says tomorrow. So if I was giving her the highest dose initially it would be 1.2ml (3 x 0.4ml) split over two doses? I'm rounding her weight down to 3kg because I can always give her more but not less.

I can't do maths to save myself :oops:

Well the highest dose is really for acute pain and should only really be given with vet permission to be honest, as any dose. I can't really advise you what to give, i'm not a vet. Some vets also do not like to split the doses but say just once every 24hrs - again to split the dose this is something you would need vet permission for. If you have been told to give her some metacam tonight then really it would be best to go for a mid-range dose rather than the max just to be on the safe side, unless she is off her food and in acute pain. Could you not ring the emergency vet just to check the dosage with them especially if you already have the prescription? I can't see why they would be funny about that - i've done it in the past with meds I already have on prescription at home and just confirmed dosages and permission with an emergency vet who were happy to do so over the phone. Anyway, hope she feels better soon x

Back