• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible bone infection - any advice please?

Hi, my eight-and-a-half year old rabbit Storm Cloud had a puncture wound on the pad of her foot about six months ago. Baytril didn't clear it. She ended up having two operations to clear the infection and to have antibiotics packed into the wound. The wound healed but Storm was clearly not comfortable, even though the vet and I could find nothing wrong.

Then a month ago, the infection found its way out of her foot again - this time at the top of the foot. It has now broken out in two places and, again, baytril and septrin haven't helped (I am also clearing out the pus and bathing it twice a day. She is also on Metacam to help with the pain). Two swabs have shown no bacteria.

Storm is eating and remains my feisty girl but I don't know what to do next. Any ideas welcome. Has anyone been through anything like this? (Storm lost both her boyfriends this year - one to cancer, the other to a stroke so she needs some good news.)

Thank you so much.

Kate

Poor Storm :cry:

In my experience neither Baytril or Septrin are very effective in treating abscesses. My Vet usually prescribes an INJECTABLE Penicillin, possibly in combination with another antibiotic called Metronidazole. Whilst this combination may not be curative it may well 'hold' the infection, preventing it from spreading further.

Have any radiographs been taken to assess the extent of boney involvement ?
Is more surgery planned ?

Storm handles penicillin well so I think that will be my next route - she had syphilils when I first rescued her and she had injectable crystiben (?) then.

No x-rays yet and not discussed additional surgery with vet. Wanted to avoid surgery if at all possible. Will get her in tomorrow and discuss options. Thank you - after reading everything I could find on the web and talking to other bunny people tonight, I think you're right. Thanks again. x

My Inca has alot of problems with her feet due to her being deformed at her back end.
She often scrapes and catches her toe and cuts it, she often pee's on her foot, which in turn gets it infected.

Recently she had quite a severe infection and there was pus gathering nearly as soon as i cleared it! The vet said she was worried it was getting into the bone.

She had a 3 week course of daily penicillin injections (ceporex), this seems to have cleared it up. I also gave her daily probiotics while she was on the antibiotics.

Another thing i found good for helping stop the infection is Manuka Honey, it has good antibacterial properties. I cleaned the area with dilute iodine, got as much pus out as i could, then put Manuka Honey on the area. Has to be one with as high a UMF as you can get. I put a baby sock on her foot after i put the honey on to prevent her from licking the honey off.

Last edited:
Thank you Kermit & Tuckerbunnnies. I will get the honey today and am on my way to see vet in a few minutes so will discuss penicillin injections.

I was beginning to lose hope so it's good to have new options.

Will post again when we have news.

Kate & Storm Cloud

Thank you Kermit & Tuckerbunnnies. I will get the honey today and am on my way to see vet in a few minutes so will discuss penicillin injections.

I was beginning to lose hope so it's good to have new options.

Will post again when we have news.

Kate & Storm Cloud

How did you go with the vets?

Hi, only a locum today and he didn't have the penicillin in stock but I can pick it up tomorrow and start injecting then. I also bought manuka honey and she now has a sticky foot :)

Hi, only a locum today and he didn't have the penicillin in stock but I can pick it up tomorrow and start injecting then. I also bought manuka honey and she now has a sticky foot :)

Thats good :)

I do hope the manuka works. I think it is great. I have used it loads since i got it and the results have been fab, and the jar keeps for ages!

Back