• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Applied to be a charity today-- awaiting application response..

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I applied to be a charity today and am awaiting application response. One thing i did notice when applying is that directors can't earn a salary- is this right? I'm sure i must have mis-read this or something.

Thanks xxxxxxx

Last edited:
BTW do they need accounts in the initial stages? I'm thinking of registering as a small charity (under £5,000), but I previously haven't kept accounts, so I'm just starting to do that.

BTW do they need accounts in the initial stages? I'm thinking of registering as a small charity (under £5,000), but I previously haven't kept accounts, so I'm just starting to do that.

I'm not sure- i'm not that wise on the subject- i've just done the application- it may be rejected yet. I'll let you know. May have to operate via a different route.

I'm pretty sure that your accounts need to be spot on if you are doing anything through the chairities commission- but i doubt they would be audited for small turnovers anyway. I imagine there would be some exemption policy.

I don't have any knowledge in this area though- so i'm just going trial and error xxxxxxxxxxx

I thought that directors could earn a salary (if there's enough money to enable it and it fits with the overall aims and objectives of the charity) but trustees could not?

income from the rescue you want to run?!

xxx

Not from the rescue.

I think i've answered my own question- to get paid a salary- i'm going to have to have a fundraising corporation and be paid through that. I'm not sure if that would be a conflict of interest though.

I doubt i would make any money from the rescue and sanctuary i'm running, i can forsee all the money raised going back into the rescue xxxx

I thought that directors could earn a salary (if there's enough money to enable it and it fits with the overall aims and objectives of the charity) but trustees could not?

Not sure, but i would be a trustee also, so i'd be stuck there. I'm only wanting a small salary for spending 24/7 running the charity, so i can't see that the charities commission would object to that xxxxxx

If you find a way to make enough money to have a salary, let me know, we are paying out money hand over fist.:lol:

I don't think you can be a director and a trustee? I think these things are deliberately separated to provide safeguards between the overall direction and financing (trustee) and the day-to-day running (director).

I may be wrong though, but I'd say it needs further researching as I'm not sure you will be able to do it in the way you are hoping.

A Director of a Charity is an employee of the charity. As it would be her charity, she would be a Trustee. It is possible for a trustee to become an employee of the charity (and therefore take a salary) however, you will need to gain approval from the charity's commission to do so.

Back