• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone experience of homeopathy in buns?

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I'm a bit shocked. I couldn't find out about whether blackthorn/sloe leaves were safe for buns or had side effects so I could recommend them to others.
I e-mailed my observations to a holistic vet practice which uses herbal medicines, & included Thumper's history.
My questions were answered about blackthorn leaves, & the suggestion made that some homeopathic treatment might improve things further.

Obviously I want to discuss this with my own vet, & hopefully the 2 vets could discuss things further, yet wondered also what you guys think.

To be honest I can't think straight. I'm in the mind frame that every day we have together is an extra gift, we've done amazingly well to get this far, & he's no hope.

The holistic vet is Chris Day, Stanton in the Vale; OX.

:wave:according to rabbit health in the 21st century...you can give buns the berries and buds but should not be given with propulsid/cisapride.
so check with the vet if there is any heart issues with your bun.
dont know about the leaves or if sloe leaves are ok either... sorry!!

:wave:according to rabbit health in the 21st century...you can give buns the berries and buds but should not be given with propulsid/cisapride.
so check with the vet if there is any heart issues with your bun.
dont know about the leaves or if sloe leaves are ok either... sorry!!

Bless you! yes I use that book for rabbits too (cos they're different from humans!!!:lol:) It's good value isn't it? I wish they did a whole book about plants for buns.

I got the info about sloe leaves - they're OK, which I was 99% sure of.

I was shocked that the vet suggested that Thumps might benefit from homeopathy which is a different type of healing based on incredibly dilute natural substances.
I'm very skeptical indeed although prepared to be open minded about most things.
I was just asking round hoping someone had some experience of it.

ETA Sorry - Blackthorn - prunus spinosa - is the correct name for the bush which bears sloes. Because I can't type I use the shorter local term.:oops:

Last edited:
Thank you clutterydrawer.
Thank you also for being so restrained as not to have corrected me all these months when I have written "sloe leaves".
They aren't berries either - I think they may be drupes???
My 2 index fingers are getting shorter!

I did try some treatment on Bramble many years ago when she became paralysed in her back legs, I can't say it helped though. In hindsight it may have been EC, although she did have spondylitis as well, so perhaps we were too late to treat.
I am very suspiscious of homeopathy, but we do think it helped some of our very arthritic goats when there was nothing licensed for them medically, so I wouldn't completely say it doesn't work.

Basically, we have tried some homeopathy when the vet profession has nothing left to offer.:?

I don't believe in homoeopathy in is true form (when they dilute something that may work until it is pretty much water) however, I do believe in herbal medicine, maybe they can help with some herbal remedies as Thumps seems to respond to this kind of thing? I think in your position I would try anything as long as I thought there was a chance it may help...although I think I would have to have some confidence in a method before spending a lot of money? (not suggesting money would make a difference but I wouldn't want to be taken for a ride if you know what I mean?)

Thank you halfpenny.
It's very difficult to assess a response to intervention with a fluctuating condition, isn't it?
It can be just as difficult with a self limiting condition too.

I can't waste precious resources on something which doesn't work, or where the effects are minimal.

Thank you clutterydrawer.
Thank you also for being so restrained as not to have corrected me all these months when I have written "sloe leaves".
They aren't berries either - I think they may be drupes???
My 2 index fingers are getting shorter!

I had no idea they weren't leaves I'm afraid :lol: Not a plant I come across much. I will look into it if I get a chance though, sounds interesting :)

I don't believe in homoeopathy in is true form (when they dilute something that may work until it is pretty much water) however, I do believe in herbal medicine, maybe they can help with some herbal remedies as Thumps seems to respond to this kind of thing? I think in your position I would try anything as long as I thought there was a chance it may help...although I think I would have to have some confidence in a method before spending a lot of money? (not suggesting money would make a difference but I wouldn't want to be taken for a ride if you know what I mean?)

I know exactly what you mean Louise & Gus. It's exactly how I'm thinking.
My 1st. reaction was the potential to be taken for a ride, & then of course clutching at straws came in.
I'm would have been much happier if I'd been offered sensible help with diet.
It seems that Thumper has shown a holistic vet the best time to gather his herbs!

I had no idea they weren't leaves I'm afraid :lol: Not a plant I come across much. I will look into it if I get a chance though, sounds interesting :)

Sorry I'm shattered & can't string 2 thoughts together.
Prunus spinosa = blackthorn bush which has drupes (oval stones in) called sloes & used to make sloe gin (very easily):D:D:D:D:D:D

When I was desperate to keep Thumps alive at the end of summer 08 & before we'd met Marie, I noticed that there were no young blackthorn bushes on land used by wildies for foraging, yet they had self seeded prolifically all around wild foraging areas.

I spread all the plants I knew were bunny safe & those like blackthorn which were notably absent from wildie areas on the lawn & asked Thumps to sort himself out cos I didn't know how to help him.
He went for the blackthorn. Within 3 days his tummy had cleared up. He won't touch it in spring or summer when he goes for hawthorn.

It's happened again this year, incredibly dramatically. One week it's OK like hawthorn or bramble, but as soon as the sloes get fully ripe & take on a bloom Thumps eats the leaves of the bush voraciously, & his caecal & gut issues improve beyond belief. But given his condition it's a big shock to his system.
The leaves will start to fall in about 3 weeks time.
This year I'm trying to dry a year's supply ofthe leaves while they are at their most effective.

I have felt unable to recommend it to others without further knowledge.

The holistic vet confirmed it's use in buns for me, but gave me a shock by suggesting homeopathy for Thumps.

ETA they were used to adulterate china tea in UK in the 18th. century. "English tea" of the period was a mix of china tea & blackthorn leaves.

ETA I strongly suspect that the effect is at least partly due to the tannin content of the leaves - disinfectant/protein binding/ & also binds metals eg iron.
Please let me know if anyone can find out more.

Last edited:
I'm a bit shocked. I couldn't find out about whether blackthorn/sloe leaves were safe for buns or had side effects so I could recommend them to others.
I e-mailed my observations to a holistic vet practice which uses herbal medicines, & included Thumper's history.
My questions were answered about blackthorn leaves, & the suggestion made that some homeopathic treatment might improve things further.

Obviously I want to discuss this with my own vet, & hopefully the 2 vets could discuss things further, yet wondered also what you guys think.

To be honest I can't think straight. I'm in the mind frame that every day we have together is an extra gift, we've done amazingly well to get this far, & he's no hope.

The holistic vet is Chris Day, Stanton in the Vale; OX.

I :love: Chris Day. He made the last few months of CoCo's life far more comfortable. I took her to him for chiropractic and laser therapy when she was suffering from paralysis resulting from an old back injury.:cry: Man, I miss her, my special little Bean. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have a high level of trust in Dr. Day and he did make a difference with my bun. He is an amazing person as well, very intune with animals and their welfare. Not inexpensive though:shock:

Ive not used homeopathy on buns before - but years ago we had a horse which was treated...and it helped. I also had a parakeet who got a growth in her beak which was stopping her from eating seeds...the vet wanted to pts, but my mum tooker her to this homeopathic lady - who gave us these little "sugar" type pills...i gave my bird one with water each day off a teaspoon...the growth disappeared and she lived for 2 more years....then passed away.
We learn that also peanuts were not great for parrots & parakeets and so the homepathic medicine combined with a small change in diet helped her get better for a while longer.
Persoannly i think homepathic medicine can help...but like you know with Thumps - diet is a huge factor. Im sure this Dr. would be able to hopefully advise in both?
Im not that sure about the costs involved...I dont think they should be huge as i dont htink its right...esp. if money is an issue...perhaps you could mention the cost & they could possibly discount it...worth asking.

Im sorry - i dont know about the diet questions...sorry...:oops:

Back