• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips on raising money for a rescue

marie_kubiak

Alpha Buck
We have a local bunny rescue who are struggling to make ends meet at the moment.
They don't have sufficient turnover to declare themselves a charity and without charitable status have limits placed on them and increased tax etc. So a significant proportion of their income doesn't actually make it to the bunnies :(
I would like to try and help as best I can (without being overbearing/patronising!) and would appreciate any tips on effective fundraising or cost-cutting to help them out.
Thanks, Marie

Hi Marie

So great that you are being so helpful, I'm sure your local rescue is extremely grateful :D

A very boring subject but just because you mention tax in your original post it might be worth making sure that the rescue is aware that they can register with HMRC as a charity for tax purposes even if their income does not allow them to register with the charity commission. As long as they are doing charitable work they shouldn't need to pay any tax on any donations received by the shelter even if their income is very small.

We registered as a charity for tax purposes long before we met the criteria to become a fully registered charity and obtain our registered charity number. Here's a link that might help them:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/tax/recognition.htm

Also, they can still register with the easyfundrasing website without needing to be a registered charity. If they managed to get a few people to sign up on their behalf it could bring in a few pennies for them.

All the best

Hannah x

That's great, thank you!
I want to get a few ideas together before I approach them to discuss how I could help and those are really interesting.
Marie

My rabbit novel

:)Hello-several rescue orgs here in the states are selling my novel to raise money for their group.
I would be interested in giving you back some of the profits if you would promote the book and help sell it.
my website is: www.gghall.com
I want to get it into the UK circles, but don't really know how. You can send me a PM if you wish,
THANKS

Back