• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watering eye

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

I noticed yesterday that one of Dizzi's eyes looked like it had been watering so decided to keep checking ........ just got home from work and you can definitely see that its been watering again - I've read that dental problems can cause watery eyes but the vet checked her teeth when she was speyed 5 weeks ago and said they were fine - what else could be causing it?

Is there something else I should be looking for? She seems fine in herself and is eating/drinking as normal. It has been very windy here for the last couple of days - could that be causing it?

Just taken some pics:

DSCF0339.jpg

You can see where her fur has been wet near her whiskers!!

DSCF0336.jpg

Of course I suppose it could just be a big drip of rain water that's run down her face??!?!

Any advice??

Thanks, Jo x

Last edited:
Some bunnies do still seem to get watery eyes in the absence of any dental issues. There could be a congenital narrowing of the nasolacrimal duct, or a partial blockage meaning it doesn't drain properly, or bun could have developed an allergy to something or an irritation from dust/hay on the conjunctiva, or a bit of both.

Is it both eyes or one side? Bilateral or unilateral? If unilateral it may be more indicative of dental issues, but if both sides this is more unlikely unless bun is extremely unlucky.

Our rabbit Poppy has intermittent mildly weepy eyes on both sides, no dental issues, suspect she has a mild allergy to either the hay or pollen in summer. It does tend to be more seasonal with her.

I may be wrong as it is not possible to be certain from a photo but I think I can see a fleck of white discharge in the corner of her eye (A). If you gently massage around the corner of the eye (B) using a cotton wool pad dampened in warm pre- boiled water you may find a blob of gunk appears from the nasolacrimal duct.

WEEPYEYE.jpg

Also check under her eyelids for any sign of redness/inflammation.

If you get gunk out of the nasolacrimal duct and/or there is any redness/inflammation under the eyelids then she'd probably need treatment with something like Fucithalmic ie a trip to the Vets.

Thanks both of you very much.

It is just the one eye I've seen doing it.

I noticed the other day that she had some 'sleep' in the corner of her eye, I'm sure it was that one - she let me wipe it for her!!

I'll have a good check and do as you suggest Jane.

Thanks again

Jo x

I've had another look at her eye and I did the massaging technique that you suggested Jane but no gunk came out!

I've wiped all her fur also so that at least in the morning if there's evidence of a watery eye I'll know its 'fresh' evidence and will get her booked in at the vets, just in case!

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Jo x

I've had another look at her eye and I did the massaging technique that you suggested Jane but no gunk came out!

I've wiped all her fur also so that at least in the morning if there's evidence of a watery eye I'll know its 'fresh' evidence and will get her booked in at the vets, just in case!

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Jo x

Hi Jo,

Just out of interest, have Dizzi's eyes stopped watering now? One of my girls has 2 watery eyes and I'm not sure why.

Hiya

Yes it has ...... since I massaged her eye and wiped all her fur etc there hasn't been any evidence of a watery eye at all. I'm wondering whether it was just a big blob of water that had dripped off the run, or that she'd poked herself in eye with a hay stalk or something because since then both her eyes have been perfectly fine.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Jo x

Hiya

Yes it has ...... since I massaged her eye and wiped all her fur etc there hasn't been any evidence of a watery eye at all. I'm wondering whether it was just a big blob of water that had dripped off the run, or that she'd poked herself in eye with a hay stalk or something because since then both her eyes have been perfectly fine.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Jo x

Ooh, glad she's sorted :)

I massaged Belle's this afternoon with some cooled boiled water (though it only seemed to be one that was watery this afternoon) and it seems to be OK now. Will see how it goes. Thank you for your response :) x

Back