• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very slowly loosing weight. Any ideas?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
A question from my sister really. Her rabbit Simba had slight molar spurs a while back (winter time) and since then she's been weighing her every week or two weeks to keep an eye on things. She's noticed that over the last few months Simba has been very slowly loosing weight. She has access to unlimited pellets and hay and free ranges in a huge garden with lots to eat for most of the day.

She was the rabbit I bonded with Dexter and when they both went for their myxi jabs the vet was worried about her weight being too low. The molar spurs have now gone which they treated with diet, decreasing her pellets and giving her harder treats to wear down her teeth. Since she started to loose the weight they gave her unlimited pellets like I said. So now we're worried that something else might be going on.

What sort of tests need to be done? Blood tests? X-rays? What sort of things other than teeth could cause this and what signs should we look for? Simba is five years old. I don't have the weight sheets on me but if it's helpful to anyone I can get them off my sister tomorrow.

Cheers any help or advice is appreciated.

This is what I thought but her vet said it isn't. :?
Her vet has also given contradicting advice to mine on Dexter but it's hard to tell which vet is right. I think a second opinion is in order.

Back