• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets tomorrow :(

katie2000

Alpha Buck
I have blackberry booked in her her 3 monthly dental tomorrow and as usual Pipkin is going along for the ride....

When I am there I want to speak to the vet about Pipkins tooth roots because although he had a dental 3 weeks ago and is eating fine I have recently become convinced that he has some discomfort when chewing which I suspect may be tooth root problems.

I actually feel sick with worry, I am terrified of what the vet might say :( I know she might want to do x rays or look at his mouth again to check that all of the spurs were actually removed but I feel so stressed about it.

I am very worried about blackberries dental anway but I am extra stressed this time because if anything bad happens I will get hysterical and then not be able to go into work.

I really really hope they are both ok

aww, it's horrible being all worried isn't it.. hugs for you, and lots and lots of vibes for blackberry for tomorrow. xxx

Thank you :)

I am just such an anxious person anyway and I seem to be worrying constantly about them now.

I always envy friends and families "healthy buns". It just seems so unfair! I'm so glad I have them though because I know I can provide the care they need but just wish they didn't have something wrong with them constantly :(

Thank you :)

I am just such an anxious person anyway and I seem to be worrying constantly about them now.

I always envy friends and families "healthy buns". It just seems so unfair! I'm so glad I have them though because I know I can provide the care they need but just wish they didn't have something wrong with them constantly :(

i know exactly what you mean hun, i suffer so badly with anxiety and have long term ill buns and it can be really stressful with the constant worrying. i keep a thread going just updating about bisc and matt, but it also helps me to keep a note of everything and write down my feelings etc.. even if no-one replies sometimes, it still helps. and always people on here who will listen. i would if you needed to just rant, i wouldn't mind. :wave:

I really hope things go ok at the vets tomo. I have healthy bunny envy too! My nan says that it's our calling to give them a nice life when they might have gone to a home where they wouldn't get any vet treatment at all, that the rabbits are "sent" to us somehow because they need us :wave: take care x

oh hun i really feel for you..i do know exactly where youre coming from:(

maybe its not a tooth root prob at all...maybe the spurs have grown back quicker than expected...it does happen.

katie i will be keeping figners crossed for both blackberry and pipkin tomorrow....hopefully it wil be easier than you are worrying about xx

silverbunny...omg thats exactly what we say to everybody about the buns and cats and even hammys weve had.

the lady outside the vets when oscar died said pets leave us to let other pets who need caring folks have a chance and time being cared for as they need.

i always say they find their way to us because were both ill with chronic health probs and so called defective lol....so only we could understand their needs.:lol::lol:

I really hope things go ok at the vets tomo. I have healthy bunny envy too! My nan says that it's our calling to give them a nice life when they might have gone to a home where they wouldn't get any vet treatment at all, that the rabbits are "sent" to us somehow because they need us :wave: take care x

i believe this aswell. because i have lots of problems i am basically trapped in the house etc all the time, and it turned out bisc and matt needed round the clock care, and alot of meds, nebulising etc etc.. i do feel they were meant to be with me as my situation has actually meant i can look after them like they need.

and i hope my smudge was only taken from me too young because matt needed me so much more. x

Aww thank you everyone, I am so glad its not just me! I am a constant worrier and I watch them so so closely for the slightest sign of illness. I think Pipkin my recue bun was "sent" to me and he very nearly got into the hands of the rspca so I feel lucky I got to him first - I'm not sure they would've rehomed because of his awful awful teeth.

I am sitting waiting for my taxi now with their buns in their box. Have butterflies but feeling a bit more positive this morning :)

i believe this aswell. because i have lots of problems i am basically trapped in the house etc all the time, and it turned out bisc and matt needed round the clock care, and alot of meds, nebulising etc etc.. i do feel they were meant to be with me as my situation has actually meant i can look after them like they need.

and i hope my smudge was only taken from me too young because matt needed me so much more. x

Aww bless your bunnies - they are so so lucky to have you!

So I dropped the buns off this morning and can ring after 2pm to find out how blackberry gets on - I hope she is ok and as far as I'm concerned no news is good news until I ring them and I'm hoping she has been in and out by now.

The vet examined Pipkins teeth and couldn't see anything obviously wrong....she popped him on the scales and he seems to have put on some weight since his last dental which is great news.

I mentioned the possibility that tooth root problems could maybe causing him some discomfort which she sort of dismissed and said he would most likely have a runny eye if there was a problem with his roots.....is this true?

She said to keep an eye on him and if he starts eating any less then bring him back..... I sort of feel that this is not a satisfactory answer for him. I do not want him in any discomfort when he is eating but I know don't know if I'm just being paranoid now :?

I know my vet is experienced in carrying out rabbit dentals (she does several a day) but I am now beginning to doubt how much she actually knows about further complications of dental problems...*sigh*

biscandmatt...what wonderful care and love you give to your buns.

katie im so pleased all ent well...phew!!

sometimes tooth roots can cause runny or sticky eyes.........but not until they get to a certain length i guess....

from here
http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/eastcottvets/rabbits.html

Dental Problems

Rabbits teeth grow continuously to ensure there is always enough tooth to chew grass. Normally the correct chewing action + plenty of fibrous food (grass and hay) ensure that the teeth are worn down as fast as they grow and are kept aligned. If the teeth aren�t worn down by chewing enough fibrous foods, the teeth overgrow. The only thing that is hard enough to wear teeth down is other teeth. So why do my rabbit�s teeth need fibrous food? Simply because it encourages your rabbit to chew for long enough to wear the teeth down - nothing else will do this. So if you feed to much rabbit mix or pellets your rabbit will not have the appetite for hay and grass and so not chew long enough to wear the teeth down.

What happens if the teeth overgrow?

As the back teeth overgrow, a number of things happen:

* They start to force the jaws apart which means the front teeth no longer meet; this prevents them from wearing down so they overgrow - this can be seen from the outside.
* Before you see this, the overgrowing cheek teeth start to put pressure on each other pushing them into their bony sockets. This is painful. It also damages the bone in the socket making it soft so the teeth sink deeper into the bone. Lack of calcium in the diet due to excessive feeding of cereal based rabbit food results in softer bone and makes this even worse. As the teeth continue to grow they push deeper into the bone until the lower teeth start to push out of the bottom of the lower jaw (you may be able to feel bumps on the bottom jaw). The upper teeth start to push up towards the tear ducts and eyes.
* As the teeth overgrow, the correct chewing action is lost so the teeth start to grow in abnormal directions allowing spurs to form. The lower teeth tend to form spurs towards the tongue and the upper teeth towards the cheek. These can become sharp and cut into the tongue and cheek.
* Dental abscesses can form at the points where the tooth roots break through the damaged bone. These will require surgery and dental treatment.

Blackberry is fine :D She is home and having fun in the garden :) It's such a relief because hopefully that willl be her sorted for another 3 months (fingers crossed)

This is what I am worried about with Pipkin....

* Before you see this, the overgrowing cheek teeth start to put pressure on each other pushing them into their bony sockets. This is painful. It also damages the bone in the socket making it soft so the teeth sink deeper into the bone. Lack of calcium in the diet due to excessive feeding of cereal based rabbit food results in softer bone and makes this even worse. As the teeth continue to grow they push deeper into the bone until the lower teeth start to push out of the bottom of the lower jaw (you may be able to feel bumps on the bottom jaw). The upper teeth start to push up towards the tear ducts and eyes.

I have only had him since December last year and he had his first dental with me after 3 weeks....I have no idea if the people who had him before took him for dentals or even what kind of diet he was on because he was a stray...

I am off to inspect his jaw for bumps

Back