• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet confusion

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I am a totally confused bunny Mummy:?

One of my buns - Sue - has only half a working kidney so I have been advised to reduce her calcium intake. I am sure I read somewhere that SS (which is what all my buns were eating) was high in calcium so I started giving Sue Excel for Mature Buns as it has cranberry in it (good for kidney problems).

I have now rehomed Furby (a Lymington bun) - who is used to selective food, not pellets - so I have had to buy a third type of food. I was in the shop reading the contents section and realised that Excel is actually higher in calcium than SS. I thought it may be because the Excel I was buying is for Mature Buns, but the ordinary Excel is the same.

So, now I am very confused. I really don't want to buy three different types of food as I only live in a smallish house and the bunny food, cat food and cat litter is clogging up my hallway.

Is SS so bad for a bun with kidney problems? Furby barely eats SS or Excel - he has a sweet tooth, so I am going to have to buy two types of food for a while anyway.

I felt incredibly bad for giving Sue SS before she was diagnosed but changed over to it from Wagg pellets because I thought it was better for my buns. Now I think I may be making matters worst by giving her Excel.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

I have about three different foods which I use for my buns and my foster bun is on different one also so can understand your confusion. I think Bunny Basics is lower in calcium (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Last edited:
Bunny Basics T analysis info

Crude Protein min 14.00%
Crude Fat min 1.50%
Crude Fiber min 25.00%
Crude Fiber max 29.00%
Moisture max 10.00%
Calcium min 0.35%
Calcium max 0.85%
Phosphorus min 0.25%
Salt min 0.50%
Salt max 1.00%
Copper (min) 30 ppm
Vitamin A (min) 19,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D (min) 900 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 190 IU/kg

Excel Mature Nuggets with Cranberry and Ginseng

Beneficial Fibre 38%, Crude Fibre 19%, Protein 13%, Oils anfd Fats 3%, Ash 5%, Calcium 0.9%, Phosphorous 0.50%, Vitamin A 20,000iu/kg, Vitamin D3 2,500iu/kg, Vitamin E (a-tocopherol acetate) 120mg/kg, Vitamin C 20mg/kg, Copper as cupric sulphate 12mg/kg

Thank you - am glad I am not the only confused Bunny Mummy!

I think SS is 0.6% calcium - so not that bad at all! With the exception of Furby my buns all loved SS, but they will eat Excel too.

Back