• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Timmy really not himself- HELP!!!

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Hi, really needing some advice!

Timmy is usually a really lively bunny but tonight he is really quiet. He's not had any major problems before, but we have noticed he's had a dirty bum recently. I've been researching and understand that this could be a dental problem?

Tonight he is just lying down, not paying any interest in anything at all, even Blossom who he usually adores and grooms all the time. All he wants to do is lie down. He doesn't seem interested in eating hay, herbs or even his favourite of ginger biscuits!

We are really worried about him and have looked up emergency vet number which we can use until 10.30pm tonight, but they say it's the last resort. Am I panicking too much or have I cause to call the emergency vet?

I just worry as I don't want to go to bed worrying about him not eating all night and being in pain (if it is his teeth?)

Are there any other signs of dental problems or anyway I can check?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Is Timmy still pooping? When did he last eat food?

When Peter Rabbit had dental problems he dribbled and had a dirty bottom. Chloe has just been identified as having dental problems and she has just gone off her food.

If you did take Timmy to the vet tonight they would atleast be able to check him over and give him any pain relief that he may need. Depending on when he last ate food, they may also advise that you syringe feed him some critical care (special rabbit powder food with water). If it is a dental problem, I doubt they would do it this evening - very likely tomorrow. However, they would be able to make him more comfortable and provide food to ensure that he would be strong enough for anesthetic (if this is what the vets decided he needs).

Hope that helps and makes some sense. ;)

I would take him straight to the vets tonight... I don't want to panic you but he sounds really poorly and he is obviously in a lot of pain and this may not wait until the morning.

The vet will be able to look inside his mouth which will help identify any dental issues if this is what is causing his problems. Whatever is wrong with him he needs pain killer and gut stimulant asap.

I hope he is feeling better soon

Is Timmy still pooping? When did he last eat food?

When Peter Rabbit had dental problems he dribbled and had a dirty bottom. Chloe has just been identified as having dental problems and she has just gone off her food.

If you did take Timmy to the vet tonight they would atleast be able to check him over and give him any pain relief that he may need. Depending on when he last ate food, they may also advise that you syringe feed him some critical care (special rabbit powder food with water). If it is a dental problem, I doubt they would do it this evening - very likely tomorrow. However, they would be able to make him more comfortable and provide food to ensure that he would be strong enough for anesthetic (if this is what the vets decided he needs).

Hope that helps and makes some sense. ;)

Thank you! Are there any other signs? He's not dribbling, he's lost interest in all of the foods he's loved. It only seems to have come on in the past couple of hours. Would the emergency vet see him tonight? I do panic but I just want him to be ok. How can you tell if a rabbit's in pain?

When mine are in pain they lay flat on the floor - I would take him to the emergency vets - bunny mummies tend to know when something isnt right - Better safe than sorry and as you say you dont want him to be in pain through the night

vibes for Timmy x

You can always ring the vet and tell him exactly what Timmy is like and take it from there.

I rang an emergency vet at midnight. :oops: Even though I didn't have to take Peter in that time it really put my mind at ease.

If you are worried, ring the vet. ;)

He is in the lounge at the moment, so just going to put them back in their bunny room to see if he livens up a bit in there.

He is hopping after Blossom now!

He may have the beginnings of gut stasis (which s a symptom rather than a disease in itself). It is usually a symptom of pain elsewhere that means they loose interest in food (like you or I with a migraine). If he is laying down and stretching then the gut may be uncomfortable - perhaps with a gas build up or some other digeston problem.

IF the emergency vet is used to rabbits then I WOULD take him.

He is running around the room and is now chewing the cardboard box. If he had dental problems he wouldn't do this would he?

He is running around the room and is now chewing the cardboard box. If he had dental problems he wouldn't do this would he?

bisc did this when he had spurs.. thumps on here said cardboard is a type of fibre, so he could be craving fibre if he can't eat hay because it's hurting him.. does he normally chew boxes, if not it could be an aggression/agitated thing, matt does it when he's in discomfort.

i think he probably needs some pain relief and a check over.. could be teeth, also could be gas or gut stasis.. i would say you need a vet, trust yourself if you feel something isn't right.. if the vets aren't rabbit savvy, then pain relief and maybe some recovery food, something to get his gut going (if needed) can still be given until you can get to your normal vet. i hate using the emergency vets though... but if he isn't eating at all... :?

This has not worked for me in the past but I know some others on here have used this, try soaking his pellets with cooled boiled water and mash it up for him so they become fluffy- it brings out the smell and may entice him to eat.

How did he get on at the vets?

Hi, thanks all for all of your great advice!

We put him in his room last night and sat with him for a while, he seemed to perk up and started eating hay and then even some pellets! We checked on him in the night and the morning and he was lively and there were new poo's in the tray (he has the tiny one's so we could tell they were not Blossom's). So we stopped panicking and i'm off to the vets in 10 minutes for a check over. I'm feeling a bit anxious at what they're going to say! Just hope it isn't really really serious! Poor Timmy :(

Hope Timmy is doing okay, let us know how he's getting on.

Did sound a bit gassy like and the hopping around may have helped him perhaps?

Back